Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

I pretty sure now you don't have any experience in firearms. There are a lot of different type of 7.62. So the lack of basic understanding of caliber is pretty damning. Not only that you do not understand how basic 101 combat works. You keep using suppression in a different definition than it really is.

Let me stress to everyone here the 5.56x45 is the most lethal round of the three major immediate cartridge. Rank from lethal to less lethal: 5.56x45, 5.45x39, 7.62x39. 7.62x39 is the worst in terms of lethal. It also have less range than the other two.

5.56x45 does not need to fragmentation to incapacitate a person. Fragmentation is a bonus. Fragmentation increase the chance of incapacitation. Remember other rounds like 5.45x39, 7.62x51NATO, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, etc does not fragmentate.

Know any Russian complaining 5.45x39 or 7.62x39 not lethal enough? The Russians like both 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 but they are less lethal than the 5.56. Again the reason why so much complaining about how weak the 5.56 is is due to Americans. When Americans compare 5.56 it not comparing it to other immediate cartridge. They are comparing to battle rifle cartridge.

Americans don't want "assault rifles". They want to switch back to battle rifle that chamber the biggest round humanly possible to carry. They want a caliber that can one shot Godzilla but you know what they going to shoot 10 more rounds into him. Overkill is not enough for Americans. That's how Americans thinks.

7.62x51NATO is the standard battler rifle cartridge. It's a very powerful round. Do you know what American think about it? Weak. Very weak for a battle rifle cartridge. When American military sniper had a chance to switch they went away from the "weak" 7.62x51NATO and gone with .300WM (Winchester Magnum).

Let me tell you about this round because I own a rifle chamber it. The .300WM is a very power round. So powerful that around 1000 rounds of slow fire (barrel cool down before another shot) it will need to change the barrel due to erosion. The faster you shoot before barrel cool down the faster the erosion. Now lets talk about pain. It very painful to shoot a .300WM. Within 20 shot or so you will feel it all week long and that's wearing a shoulder pad to take some punishment out of the recoil. .300WM only meet the minimum standard of American Snipers. They actually want an even more powerful round that hurt them even more. You know nothing more than dislocating a shoulder on the first round is enough Americans. Everything less than that is pussy.

Level 3 armor will protect you against at least one 7.62 @ 2780 fps which is 2575 ft.lbs of energy. Basically it design to protect one 7.62x51NATO round (M90). The video from below is rated at level 3. The test below use M193 which is a lead ball (.55gr) and M855 which is steel core (62gr) penetrator. Both 5.56 and use by the US military. Notice how much damage M193 does? Remember level 3 armor will protect you from a battle rifle round that travel 2789fps or lower. It won't protect you from a 5.56 going over 3200fps.

This is the same type of plate was use on the video. Notice the hole on the paper? The plate like all plates was shot by one round of M90 (7.62x51NATO) before shipping. It shows the buyer the plate they are buying passed the test.

You can buy the body armor here.
If you are pretty sure that I have no connection with firearms, just check the avatar. Me with the President at Kargil. I was merely sightseeing, right? And competent to brief the President, who was then not the President, but the Head of the Delegation.

I have explained that suppression is not pooping of ammunition, but keep the enemy's head down so that he cannot shoot, but at the same time, not expend ammunition foolishly and then look back for replenishment which is damned difficult when in action. Only a person who has been in combat will understand.

I find it futile to elaborate on ammunition to a person who has no idea what it can do.

For your information, I have the Indian equivalent of the US 'Purple Heart'. I am aware what a bullet can do.

As far as the US goes, overkill is no problem and they are also very allergic to bodybags too and so they shoot first and then ask questions. That is why they fail everywhere. Vietnam, Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan are just a few. Great hygpe and come out like damp squibs with all the so called 'overkill'.

When one is on a mission, one is there to succeed and not return as lost cows at dusk.

Yes, all suppression and no result!

Last edited:

Redhawk

"The military must change the caliber and cartridge of the guns it gives infantry soldiers. Stoner's little 5.56-mm cartridge was ideal for softening the recoil of World War II infantry calibers in order to allow fully automatic fire. But today's cartridge is simply too small for modern combat. Its lack of mass limits its range to less than 400 meters. The optimum caliber for tomorrow's rifle is between 6.5 and 7 millimeters."
Source: theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/01/gun-trouble/383508/
Good article and I agree with it.

Link: Gun Trouble by Robert H. Scales

Redhawk

[QUOTE="Gun Trouble," Robert H. Scales]The military must change the caliber and cartridge of the guns it gives infantry soldiers. Stoner's little 5.56-mm cartridge was ideal for softening the recoil of World War II infantry calibers in order to allow fully automatic fire. But today's cartridge is simply too small for modern combat. Its lack of mass limits its range to less than 400 meters. The optimum caliber for tomorrow's rifle is between 6.5 and 7 millimeters.[/QUOTE]

The high velocity of a small-calibre, light-weight bullet cannot compensate for its lack of mass. One needs mass to kill effectively.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

All Foreign Assault Rifle under trial failed under Indian conditions.

The Indian Army began the final round of confirmatory trials in support of its requirement for 44,618 close quarter battle (CQB) 5.56 mm carbines and 33.6 million rounds of ammunition on 9 June, defence industry officials told IHS Jane's .

The Beretta ARX-160, Colt M4, and Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) Galil Ace carbines will undergo a series of tests at army establishments and weapon-testing facilities until the end of July. These include weapon sights, furniture, and ammunition trials.

The competing guns will also undergo a "mud test" to gauge their ability to operate in poor conditions, an evaluation all three failed during trials in 2012 in the Rajasthan desert and high-altitude regions.
Source : Indian Army kicks off final carbine trials - IHS Jane's 360

=========
=========

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Buddy thanx for the video.I see an AK rav over by a truck and it still looks hard unlike some plastic crap.:)

karn

Country flag
I find this discussion between an actual army officer and a keyboard warrior very entertaining .. Please continue ...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Interesting ..

I'm very happy today to present a video we did in cooperation with Oleg Volk, which I've titled "Last Ditch Innovation". It is a look at two late-WW2 German prototype rifles which are the evolutionary grandparents of the CETME and the H&K series of roller-delayed firearms (91, 93, MP5, etc). Thanks to some very generous friends, we have examples of both guns to disassemble and shoot...so sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

The Volksturmgewehr Gustloff (commonly and incorrectly called the VG1-5) was a last-ditch rifle developed by Germany at the end of World War II. Only a few thousand were made, and they did not make a significant impact on the war. The rifle was intended to are the Volksturm, the German equivalent of the Home Guard - basically old men and children. It was semiauto only and chambered for the 7.92x33 Kurz cartridge used in the MP44/StG44 (it also used the MP44/StG44 magazine). Mechanically, the Gustloff is somewhere between a direct blowback and delayed blowback design. It has a delaying feature which we will discuss in the video, but the gun works equally well without it.

We were fortunate to have the opportunity to shoot and disassemble a Gustloff VG1-5 recently and debunk one of the common internet beliefs about the gun. Enjoy the video!

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Akim is it a converted weapon or newly created one?

bhramos

Country flag

Machine Tkachev AO-46 Automatic Tkachev AO-46, an experimental copy of which was released in 1969, is almost the only design that was created not by the order of the Government of the USSR, Union ministries and departments, and on his own initiative Designer - gunsmith, employee Central Research Institute of Precision Engineering Tkachev PA

bhramos

Country flag

All speak Desert Eagle ... Did you know about RSH -12?

This revolver was established in GS's in Tula. Combat weight: 2.2 kg drum for 5 rounds Caliber - 12.7 × 55 (you can safely use the cartridge SP-130 from VSSK "Exhaust" Safely penetrates concrete walls, light armored vehicles and people on breaks pieces. Down with the dominance of Desert Eagle'ov - Give RSH-12 power!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
^^
Not a revolver, a semi-automatic pistol.

syncro

Country flag

ARX-160 A3 with Intelligent Rail system (the USB assault rifle)

The Intelligent Rail System is basically, a MIL-STD-1913 "Picatinny" rail system that will remain safe to handle while at the same time conveying power and data streams to and between user-worn devices and gun-mounted accessories.

Beretta ARX-160 A3 with Intelligent Rail Systems - Pro-zone - Pro-zone - News - all4shooters.com

by the way the Italian Army got the first 800 ARX-200 in 7.62 NATO caliber (is a test batch) for squad marksmen... 3100 euro each with integrated optic and 14" and 18" barrels (the ARX 160 in the Italian Army has 12" and 16" barrels)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles