Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pmaitra

KRISS Vector, .45 cal., full-auto

• Since I am inexperienced with full automatics, and moreso, because this was .45 calibre, I decided to follow the 'Rule of 22' where you act as you say 'twenty-two;' i.e., pull the trigger as you say 'twenty' and release it as you say 'two!'
  • This gun jammed 3 times, and I have included one such instance here. Never had such issues with the AK-47, M-16 or PS-90. Is it bad maintenance or just not a good enough design? See time-point (@1:39).
  • I liked using the fast-loader, but loading AK-47 magazine is always a breeze.
  • I am NOT taking this gun to battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually, I am not interested as to know COOL a weapon is.

I will be satisfied the day we have a weapon which is as accurate as a Sniper Rifle, as quick as a Machine Gun and as small as a pistol.

Till that day, keep experimenting and churn out glitzy videos that attempts hard sell and is as good or as bad as any other, depending on the combat environment.

That bloke in the video says the weapon is so shiny that it will blind the enemy!

That man is as stupid as Joe the Plumber. Shine is an enemy on the battlefield!

But it will impress those who have never seen a combat zone or the enemy and are only concerned about how a weapon or equipment looks and appears COOL!

Might as well have Brad Pitt as the soldier in Afghanistan. He is good looking and COOL.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Actually, I am not interested as to know COOL a weapon is.

I will be satisfied the day we have a weapon which is as accurate as a Sniper Rifle, as quick as a Machine Gun and as small as a pistol.
TAR-21

X-95:

X95 is operational In Gruda SF and CRPF, It smaller than M4 but have Longer barrel than M4..

pmaitra

Yep that's one awesome & probably the best SMG (9mm) that's out there today.
I'm not sure I'll take that into combat, in a real kill or get killed scenario. For me, AK-47 always. I am also becoming a fan of the P-90, but nothing beats the Kalashnikov.

Just my humble opinion.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I'm not sure I'll take that into combat, in a real kill or get killed scenario. For me, AK-47 always. I am also becoming a fan of the P-90, but nothing beats the Kalashnikov.

Just my humble opinion.
Kalashnikov always rocks....

pmaitra

Kalashnikov always rocks....
You know, that KRISS Vector, was light and very controllable, more than Colt M-16 shorty (9mm), given that it fires .45 calibre ammo that are very powerful. On the down side, it jammed on me, thrice. Moreover, there are at least 3 buttons to press (one for unlocking the bolt, one for safety and one for fire mode) to shoot that thing, and ejecting the magazine, which is the 4th button, is a pain. I had to use a high-speed loader to load bullets because the spring was very tight (I think it relies on the spring tension to eject the empty cases - not a good idea IMHO). Heck, even the SMLE has a better extraction and ejection mechanism. Then, there is that too much flash - I almost wondered, am I shooting a gun or taking photographs? :rofl:

pmaitra

IWI Negev 7.62mm LMG

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
A "rain test"? WTF does that mean, it doesn't melt in the rain? And at the end of the "rain test" it's "battle-proven"?

Effing marketing types are the same everywhere.

Grumble, grumble.

pmaitra

A "rain test"? WTF does that mean, it doesn't melt in the rain? And at the end of the "rain test" it's "battle-proven"?

Effing marketing types are the same everywhere.

Grumble, grumble.
:lol::lol::lol:

Absolute marketing gimmick.

I am glad one of them didn't slip and spray bullets on his comrades. This is one of the stupidest things I have seen.

Anyway, it was a good video, and a nice LMG nonetheless.

pmaitra

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Well, with practice, I guess anything is possible. He is doing a good job, because, holding that thing up requires strength.
I only fired the M60 for familiarization, and managed to move it with the carrying handle, firing from tripod or bipod. Holding it to my shoulder was something I didn't even try.:)

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Well, with practice, I guess anything is possible. He is doing a good job, because, holding that thing up requires strength.
with practice you could hold an LMG and also could run.But for accurate firing while running you need enormous luck.i had once tried to hold a bren and it was damn heavy.. and when inquired to the soldiers about shooting whilie running from a bren they told that only in dreams they would do so as they dont want to end up in shooting stars instead of tangos.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Primary consideration should always be accuracy and range rather than reliability. The latter is a secondary consideration.

The main use of a rifle to kill people and so accuracy and range trumps reliability.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Primary consideration should always be accuracy and range rather than reliability. The latter is a secondary consideration.

The main use of a rifle to kill people and so accuracy and range trumps reliability.
True, until you drop your M16 in the mud. Then you hope you find an AK down there.

pmaitra

Why is AK-74 better than AKM?

Why is AK-74 better than AKM?
This will be merged with http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/land-forces/3796-assault-rifle.html later, but now, for some exposure.

Some comments from the reviewer:
  • "AK's are more accurate than people give them credit for."
  • "If I had to come down to it and pick one over the other to take into the field, I'll carry the AK-74."

What makes the AK-74 better?
  • The Krinkov muzzle brake. It makes it extremely accurate and controllable even in fully automatic fire.
  • The recoil is very soft.
  • Comes with a side-folding stock (AKS-74).
  • Shoots the 5.45x39mm, also called the "Poison Bullet."

What isn't so good about AK-74?
  • Excessive muzzle flash. No, the Krinkov muzzle brake, does not reduce flash.

If you are short on time, i.e. to be precise, start the second video @0:51.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles