Singpore's Military Might and Strategic Implications

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Singapore Military Pictures

Singapore is 687 sq km.

It is slightly more than 3.5 times the size of Washington, DC.

Yet it has a huge and sophisticated weapon inventory.

Why?

What is its military and strategic philosophy and doctrines?

Any idea?

It is a Chinese majority state or a nation if you will. It head as per the constitution has to be Chinese.

Therefore, with such a mighty military arsenal, is it a Chinese surrogate given the strategic importance of the Straits of Malacca or otherwise?

There is no indications to suggest that they will kowtow to the Red Chinese.

It uses Indian facilities to train!

Its Minister Mentor advices India on many issues!

Odd, what?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Singapore is more western though it is majority Chinese. It is firmly an American ally. I dont know if the people of Chinese origin there have anything to do with China today apart from common genes. But interesting thought Sir. I dont know if there are any studies to show where the Singaporean of Chinese origins heart lies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yusuf,

I have been there.

The Chinese are like our Marwaris.

Money!

Yet, the Han culture is not too far! ;)

That is why I am interested!

Did you read my posts on the Worrisome Rise of Chinese Nationalism?

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
There are some misconceptions here about Singapore.

The Prime Minister of Singapore does not have to be a Chinese by constitution. But given that Singapore is 75% Chinese, it is more than likely that Singapore will have Chinese Prime Minister for the future.

But the younger generation are even debating that. Lee Kuan Yew himself said that his former Indian foreign minister Dhanabalan was probably good candidate to take over as PM, but he did not think that he could win the public support since Singapore was not ready for an Indian origin PM at that time.

The current cabinet has a very sharp ethnic Indian Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam.

Singapore should not be compared to China because Singaporeans regardless of race have pretty much equal opportunities. They are removed from China by almost 4 to 5 generations now.

In the next generation, I can see Singapore having an Singaporean Indian PM even though I doubt they will ever have a Singaporean Malay PM because the majority Chinese will be uneasy about that.

Overall race relations in Singapore are as good as they can be for a multi-racial country, and way better than Malaysia.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Singapore?s take on minority race Prime Minister | TopNews SingaporeOn being asked as to how the leaders strike a balance between their community's interests and national interests, Lee responded, "If he is a Chinese, I want to ask him if he is a Singaporean who happens to be of Chinese descent or is he Chinese first, who happens to be living in Singapore." The Prime Minister said that it was not easy to find a suitable Malay political talent though Lee admitted that the population of Malay people is more now but still those who contribute among them as doctors, lawyers and engineers was still lower than the national average.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles