Sikhs in Australia want Kirpans allowed in schools

Blackwater

SYDNEY: The Sikh community in Australia has demanded that religious knives be allowed in schools after the government made an amendment in the Constitution preventing the ceremonial knife being worn in schools.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

According to the Weapons Act 1990, "A Sikh may possess, in a public place, a knife known as a Kirpan to comply with the person's religious faith."

The amendment now states: "It is not a reasonable excuse to physically possess a knife in a school for genuine religious purposes."

The Sikh Council of Australia and Queensland Anti-Discrimination Commissioner have said that the amendment was discriminatory to ordained Sikhs required to wear the Kirpan, reports News.com.au

The Kirpan is a sheathed ceremonial sword or knife, generally with a dull blade.

Knives in schools have been an issue in Queensland since the stabbing death of a 12-year-old schoolboy in 2010.

Former premier Anna Bligh's office had told the Sikh Council of Australia this year in writing that even though there is minimal risk that a Sikh might use their Kirpan to commit an offence in Queensland, the rationale for keeping all schools completely knife-free is strong.

Department of Education, Training and Employment assistant director-general Marg Pethiyagoda said the wearing of a Kirpan at school would be considered case-by-case.

When a state school principal becomes aware that a Kirpan carried by a student or staff member on school premises has a sharp edge or is pointed or is being used to threaten or harm, according to Pethiyagoda, the Kirpan may be retained by the principal and the matter referred to the police

Sikhs in Australia want Kirpans allowed in schools - The Times of India

mki

Or allow allow miniature kirpans , the size of a small safety pin and blunt!
why dont we put religion out of school..

we migrate to their country and accepted their law and practice. I dont like any of my countryman behave like paki in western world. If you want dignity in their society, you must to realize whats your rights and duties.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
why dont we put religion out of school..

we migrate to their country and accepted their law and practice. I dont like any of my countryman behave like paki in western world. If you want dignity in their society, you must to realize whats your rights and duties.
Very valid point and one cannot dispute it.

But today, with all the human rights clamour and political correctness abound, I attempted a solution that kept in line with the modern ways.

cloud_9

Country flag
if sikh want kirpaan in school ,they should send their kids to Khalsa or gurudwara runs school.. not in public school
:facepalm::facepalm:

Sikhs don't wear "Kirpans" Amritdhari (Baptized) Sikhs wear "Kirpan".So the Sikh Council is raising their voices on behalf of these people because they are there to promote the Sikhs in Australia and that is there job.Work has started on a Sikh Grammar School in Sydney expect one in Brisbane or Cairns :namaste:

Anyway they should keep the religious stuff to themselves and a rule is a rule and applicable to all and there shouldn't be any exceptions.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
It will be logical if the Sikh Body reforms their laws to exclude kids from the practice of keeping kripan than asking a foreign government to give that right. Kids should not be allowed to keep weapon anywhere.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles