Sikh group in UK opposes Gandhi's statue

Neo

Sikh group in UK calls Mahatma Gandhi a 'blatant racist', 'sexual weirdo'

Kounteya Sinha,TNN | Jul 9, 2014

LONDON: Sikhs in UK have announced a massive campaign to oppose Britain's plan to build a statue of Mahatma Gandhi at London's Parliament Square.

The Sikh Federation (UK) has written to Britain's culture secretary Sajid Javid who is leading the project.

Bhai Amrik Singh, chair of the Sikh Federation in his letter to Javid called Gandhi "a blatant racist, a sexual weirdo or worse a child abuser and someone discriminating on the basis of the Hindu caste system, which is now outlawed in the UK".
Singh said "it would therefore be totally inappropriate to have a statue of Gandhi erected in Parliament Square".

The Federation has also written to Philip Jackson, the British sculptor who has been approached by the British government to begin work on Gandhi's statue asking him to boycott the project.

The Federation is also writing to anti-racists groups, campaign groups opposed to paedophilia and organisations that have been working in the UK to have caste discrimination outlawed in the UK.

They are being urged to unite to oppose the statue and write to all UK politicians that support their causes "highlighting the other side to Gandhi's life that many choose to turn a blind eye".

The plan to have a Gandhi statue at Parliament Square in London was announced by British foreign secretary William Hague and Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne on Tuesday.

They intend to have the monument in place early next year. Once installed, the statue will provide a focal point for commemoration next summer of the 100th anniversary of Gandhi's return to India from South Africa to start the struggle for self-rule, as well as the passing of 70 years since his death in 2018, and the 150th anniversary of his birth in 2019".

The memorial will stand alongside those to other international leaders such as Nelson Mandela and Abraham Lincoln.

Hague said "Gandhi's view of communal peace and resistance to division, his desire to drive India forward, and his commitment to non-violence left a legacy that is as relevant today as it was during his life. He remains a towering inspiration and a source of strength. We will honour him with a statue alongside those of other great leaders in Parliament Square".

Osborne added "As the father of the largest democracy in the world, it's time for Gandhi to take his place in front of the mother of Parliaments. He is a figure of inspiration, not just in Britain and India, but around the world. New Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi invoked his memory in his inaugural speech to Parliament. I hope this new memorial will be a lasting and fitting tribute to his memory in Britain, and a permanent monument to our friendship with India".

The Gandhi statue will be the 11th statue to be erected in Parliament square.

Sikh group in UK calls Mahatma Gandhi a 'blatant racist', 'sexual weirdo' - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Neo

Bose and Bhagat Singh were terrorist in the eyes of British !!
I know that, Gandhi is an easy choice. If they really want to show some gratitude to India, they should accept their mistakes and honor these men.

bose

Country flag
I know that, Gandhi is an easy choice. If they really want to show some gratitude to India, they should accept their mistakes and honor these men.
You have no idea what Bose and Bhagat Singh wanted to do with British Empire...

British have no gratitude or compassion or regret for what they have done in India for 2 hundred years...

If you have time read about Udham Singh life...

bose

Country flag
Sardar patel is also hated
Very True... But Sardar Patel did not wanted an all out armed fight with British unlike Bose or Bhagat Singh...

Sardar Patel inspite of difference of opinion broadly worked under Gandhi's ideology or never challenged Gandhi...

Neo

Why are UK based Sikhs opposing the structure?
Are they different from mainstream Indian diaspora in UK?

bose

Country flag
Why are UK based Sikhs opposing the structure?
Are they different from mainstream Indian diaspora in UK?
They are basically Khalistani groups whatever that remains in UK, Germany and Canada...They have hate for India...

Killzone

I got the chance to interact with some one of these Khalistani pigs on a football forum of all places and let me tell you they are hateful, bile filled scum the likes of which you have never seen.
They hate all Indians and everything to do with India even though most Indians had nothing to do with 84 riots.
Why oppose Gandhi statue, did he kill Sikhs ?
These guys are misinformed idiots who are exposed to anti India propaganda by our enemies.Some even hold Modi responsible for 84 riots
I hope our govt. grows the balls to do Mossad style operations on these terrorist supporters and their financiers..

Last edited:

bose

Country flag
I got the chance to interact with some one of these Khalistani pigs on a football forum of all places and let me tell you they are hateful, bile filled scum the likes of which you have never seen.
They hate all Indians and everything to do with India even though most Indians had nothing to do with 84 riots.
Why oppose Gandhi statue, did he kill Sikhs ?
These guys are misinformed idiots who are exposed to anti India propaganda by our enemies.Some even hold Modi responsible for 84 riots
I hope our govt. grows the balls to do Mossad style operations on these terrorist supporters and their financiers..
I stayed in Hamburg, Germany for some time, I used to frequent a Punjabi restaurant for Indian food, we became friendly with time, one day during a casual conversation on the subject of Khalistani movement in Punjab came up, The Punjabi guy told me that he has left Punjab in 80's due to same movement and Punjab Police is after him... His hatrate for KPS Gill was extreme ...

Needless to say he was a Khalistani supporter...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Gandhi is the choice of the world.

And that is a fact recognised by all.

Neo

I am sure you know what Gandhi means to the western world, surprising if you don't.
Gandhi is the choice of the world.

And that is a fact recognised by all.
But the world is not opposedto Gandhi's statue, the Sikhs are.

There's a Gandhi statue here in Amsterdam, area called 'the RIvierenbuurt' not to far from the Rai exhibition halls and Novotel but you will never see Indian visitors. Ocassionally a Japanese or a Korean tourbus stops there and people shoot pics. Gandhi seems to be forgotten, even more by Indians but the Brits want to build a statue.

Neo

Sikhs aren't, one British Khalistani group is.
For once, stop looking at everything from religious angle.
Excuse me? I didn't write the article nor did I make any religious remarks. Sue Times of India.

Blackwater

Why Gandhi? If someone deserves a statue, it should be Bose or Bhagat Singh.
Acha then y there is hue and cry for Lahore round about name after Bhagat singh

Anyhow Gandhi don't deserve statue he got enough in India and around the world

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
But the world is not opposedto Gandhi's statue, the Sikhs are.

There's a Gandhi statue here in Amsterdam, area called 'the RIvierenbuurt' not to far from the Rai exhibition halls and Novotel but you will never see Indian visitors. Ocassionally a Japanese or a Korean tourbus stops there and people shoot pics. Gandhi seems to be forgotten, even more by Indians but the Brits want to build a statue.
Sikhs?

You mean the Khalistanis, sponsored by Pakistan like the good old ISI cover of Syed Gulam Nabi Fai.

Remember Gulam Nabi Fai, the chap who arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation on July 19, 2011, for concealing transfer of USD 3.5 million from Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) to fund his illegal lobbying efforts and influence the U.S. government on the Kashmir conflict in violation of Foreign Agents Registration Act?

Fie! Fie!:wave:

Last edited:

Neo

Sikhs?

You mean the Khalistanis, sponsored by Pakistan like the good old ISI cover of Syed Gulam Nabi Fai.

Remember Gulam Nabi Fai, the chap who arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation on July 19, 2011, for concealing transfer of USD 3.5 million from Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) to fund his illegal lobbying efforts and influence the U.S. government on the Kashmir conflict in violation of Foreign Agents Registration Act?

Fie! Fie!:wave:
I don't believe the Khalistani movement is fully Pakistan funded. One can fund the leadership but the movement is always homegrown and recruits come feom idiological void.

Your system has to fail.first before we can plant seeds. And I believe you failed the Sikhs or a faction of the community.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles