SIG 716 assault rifle for Border Security Force.

sthf

Country flag
Including TA mobilisation, Yes!

That's what is immediately available for 1.2 mn Active + 960,000 Reserve component.
So there are "1.5 lac Active army" in the active army of 11 lac. How does that work? How does any ot it works?

What does the "immediately available" means? What exactly is the rest of the army is doing, nearly 10 lac of them?

You are tying yourself in knots over something you clearly don't know anything about.

We are getting 10% of this army with Sig 716i
Says who? How do you keep coming up with random numbers without an iota of evidence or logic behind it?

I even gave you an out when I wrote the number of riflemen. All you had to do was multiply it with the number of infantry battalions in Indian Army to get a rough estimate.

You couldn't even do that. :facepalm:

Nearly same number get 96,000 CAR 816.
So I guess I must have dreamt about the second 3,60,000 Carbines tender.

Rest get AK 203. Perfectly reasonable
Sure if you say so.
Even porters and tradesmen in Infantry Units are fighting men. It's like the USMC rifle company logo 'Every Marine a rifleman.'
No they are not. While your definition of "fighting men" maybe murky at best, tradesmen don't go through advanced infantry training.

Porters are not Indian Army employees but civilians.

At what point of time in your life you decided that IA is exactly like USMC and not a completely different organisation in a completely different country for a completely different purpose?

Dude please stop typing. You are not doing yourself any favours. Take a break.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
So there are "1.5 lac Active army" in the active army of 11 lac. How does that work? How does any ot it works?

What does the "immediately available" means? What exactly is the rest of the army is doing, nearly 10 lac of them?

You are tying yourself in knots over something you clearly don't know anything about.

Says who? How do you keep coming up with random numbers without an iota of evidence or logic behind it?

I even gave you an out when I wrote the number of riflemen. All you had to do was multiply it with the number of infantry battalions in Indian Army to get a rough estimate.

You couldn't even do that. :facepalm:

So I guess I must have dreamt about the second 3,60,000 Carbines tender.

Sure if you say so.

No they are not. While your definition of "fighting men" maybe murky at best, tradesmen don't go through advanced infantry training.

Porters are not Indian Army employees but civilians.

At what point of time in your life you decided that IA is exactly like USMC and not a completely different organisation in a completely different country for a completely different purpose?

Dude please stop typing. You are not doing yourself any favours. Take a break.
1. The XIV Corps (Leh), XV Corps (Srinagar) and XVI Corps (Nagrota) control the operational units in Northern Command.

2. Eastern Command :
1 Corp = 2 x 12000 men = 24000.

24000 x 3 = 72,000 ~ 66,000 Sig 716i assigned to IA.

Assuming follow on order then ~ 30,000 Sig 716i to Eastern Command.

(24,000 x 4) = 96,000 @ 30,000 : 1/3 get Sig 716i.

BTW Northern Command and Eastern Command together make (24,000 x 7) = 168,000 men alone. ( ~ 1.5 lakh frontline men)

Talking about the move, another senior Army officer said each soldier has dual roles and is required to carry it out with the same degree of professionalism.

“The tradesmen of an Infantry battalion are also trained soldiers and are used as fighting porters. So, a tradesman in an Infantry battalion may not be a female soldier,” the officer said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theprint.in/defence/army-is-looking-at-inducting-women-recruits-also-in-branches-other-than-military-police/428953/?amp

'Every Marine A Rifleman.'

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/marine-corps-enlisted-job-descriptions-3345303

Last edited by a moderator:

Knowitall

Maybe we should just make them standard infantry rifles and manufacture them here.

They seem like great rifles.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Why shy away///

Front line means Infantrymen ... like it or lump it..

There approx 375 Infantry battalions minus SF and Mechanized . RR .
Their holding of Rifles is about 400 each battalion. 126 is only riflemen of the infantry sections but there are many others who are authorised rifles.

That makes it 375 X 400 = 1.50,000.
Exact calculation would vary..

First batch of 72000 was for the active service units. With another 72000 all infantry battalions will be equipped with Sig Saur.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
1. The XIV Corps (Leh), XV Corps (Srinagar) and XVI Corps (Nagrota) control the operational units in Northern Command.

2. Eastern Command :
1 Corp = 2 x 12000 men = 24000.

24000 x 3 = 72,000 ~ 66,000 Sig 716i assigned to IA.

Assuming follow on order then ~ 30,000 Sig 716i to Eastern Command.

(24,000 x 4) = 96,000 @ 30,000 : 1/3 get Sig 716i.

BTW Northern Command and Eastern Command together make (24,000 x 7) = 168,000 men alone. ( ~ 1.5 lakh frontline men)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theprint.in/defence/army-is-looking-at-inducting-women-recruits-also-in-branches-other-than-military-police/428953/?amp

'Every Marine A Rifleman.'

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/marine-corps-enlisted-job-descriptions-3345303

Either back your arguments with facts or go to PDF. There Madarasachap klashan knowlege will bring you laurels!
Please cool down...do not get into such complex logic.

Rifle is a basic personal weapon and should not be treated as operational command sector store as would have happened if IA had only 72000 Sig Saur.
A soldier is required to carry out all his military functions and training with his personal weapon and thus should be equipped with it unless so required.

Imagine a situation that India has a two front war and all soldiers are deployed. In acase everyone is a front line infantry soldier. so about 1.50.000 rifles would cater for the requirement of all Infantry battalions..

All others who are authorized rifles like gunners , Signalers, drivers etc will have AK-203 as their personal weapons beside all troops in CI/CT. The replacement for carbine and pistol is in the process,

So entire IA is going for 7.62 X 51 and 7.62 X 39 as the personal weapon Rifles, LMG and MMG as the standard caliber.

5.56 X 45 is expected to be standard crew personal weapon caliber.

Ammunition for all these is manufactured by OFB in India since long.

sthf

Country flag
Why shy away///

Front line means Infantrymen ... like it or lump it..

There approx 375 Infantry battalions minus SF and Mechanized . RR .
Their holding of Rifles is about 400 each battalion. 126 is only riflemen of the infantry sections but there are many others who are authorised rifles.

First batch of 72000 was for the active service units. With another 72000 all infantry battalions will be equipped with Sig Saur.
What percentage of arms, rifles, MGs, RCL etc. are kept as reserves for a battalion? Are they kept at brigade level or further up?

I calculated 390 through wiki. God only knows how credible it is. Not including RR, TA, Mech infantry or Para.

30 for a platoon (not counting HQ). 30x3x4x 390. Figure came out to be exact 1,44,000.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
What percentage of arms, rifles, MGs, RCL etc. are kept as reserves for a battalion? Are they kept at brigade level or further up?

I calculated 390 through wiki. God only knows how credible it is. Not including RR, TA, Mech infantry or Para.

30 for a platoon (not counting HQ). 30x3x4x 390. Figure came out to be exact 1,44,000.
You are a superman and you have to be correct ... I hit at 400 by estimation...

sthf

Country flag
You are a superman and you have to be correct ... I hit at 400 by estimation...
HeHe

Merely counted the number of battalions per infantry regiment and added them. 390 was the figure I got.

I was looking for all I can find on open sources. TO&E regardless of unit or army is something I am always on the look out for. For eg, French have come up with an interesting one.

===========================

About those reserves I asked about, any idea?

Flying Dagger

Country flag
There are 382 battalions and around 60 mechanised/armoured etc.

1 have approx 900 jawans.

Let's say they are going to equip 60% of them with Sig as it will be a standard battle rifle for them.

It will be around 2 lakh plus guess

That means this order of another 70 thousand plus rifles may follow another one of same size atleast.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle. Indian Army 2176
W test sig Members Corner 0
W 716 M60 LMG Order From US Indian Army 2
S DRDO UGRAM ASSAULT RIFILE Indian Army 26