Should youngsters be given compulsory army stint as in other countries

zolpidam

well to say india has one of the largest armed forces in the world..and is also an organisation in which you join voluantarily....but we have seen in many other countries an compulsory sttint in army is required by its citizens..Should it be given to Indian citizen.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
I dunno about India but I am totally in favour of draft in Pakistan. We used to have NCC in 11 and 12th grade where they used to train us but Mushraf finished it

[mod]bud no abusive words.[/mod]

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Nope, We are not the kind of country that would take up lightly to Conscription. Maybe at times of need, but not at times such as this. Its not only through the army that one can Serve India, there are lots of other avenues. Use it too.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
You need to have a look at India's population. If service becomes compulsory, we'll have a huge group of unmanageable and unwilling individuals who'd be nothing more than a severe frustration to the Military Triad.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Usually, the conscription is constituted in countries which lack the required numbers in Army . And in the event of war they need reserves/persons who know how to use weapons, this is where conscription comes in handy.

India, Pakistan or other sub-continent countries doesn't need conscription because there are enough people already willing to serve the country as professional army because of high population density in these countries. In the case of smaller countries or countries with smaller population, they don't have enough people who would want to serve in Army in professional capacity and hence the need of conscription. Of course, there are exceptions.

prabhuksnp

I am new to this forum , and this is my first post. I studied in Defence school had won various shooting awards , though i am in different profession today. I have no fear to die to protect mother country and leave behind my family crying. But i want to ask all politicians one question what they have done, have they ever thought of improving life of people serving the country , either they have moved technological front to reduce the casualty nothing, build more automation , superior technology this will put fear instead we are buying year after year.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I am new to this forum , and this is my first post. I studied in Defence school had won various shooting awards , though i am in different profession today. I have no fear to die to protect mother country and leave behind my family crying. But i want to ask all politicians one question what they have done, have they ever thought of improving life of people serving the country , either they have moved technological front to reduce the casualty nothing, build more automation , superior technology this will put fear instead we are buying year after year.
Prabhu,

India has now taken steps to proceed with modernization of Armed forces albeit little slower. you know how it works in India. But this is not the right thread for the question, you can open a new thread to discuss about the quality of life in Army.

btw, welcome to the forum. Introduce yourselves and tell us more about you here, so that we can give you a elaborate welcome.

Members Introductions - Defence Forum Of India | DFI |

pavanvenkatesh

should military service be made compulsory in India

hey guys,
I don'nt know whether there is any thread for this topic so i am astarting this do you guys think that there should be a compulsory military service for India and why ithink 2-3 years of service for 18-20 yrs should be made compulsary

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
This is a ridiculous thread......Do you realize how much money would have to be spent if every 18y/o Indian male teenager were to have to undergo 2 or 3 years of compulsory military service. The number would be in the Billions of US dollars to start a program like that.

Small rich countries like Israel, Singapore, Switzerland, or even France can afford it, but its out of the question for India.....unless you want to see the Indian defense budget go up to 10% of GDP from 2 to 3% now.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
India has no dearth of NCO's/Jawans nor of people queuing up to join these posts; we desperately need officers, though.

Vladimir79

Professional
Conscription is just another form of service to the state. If the state needs you, you have no place to abstain. If your country can get enough qualified people without it, then they don't need it. If they can't, like Indian Officer Corps, then it becomes necessary or your situation is weak. For those who dodge service, they are nothing but cowards and traitors of the state. Conscription teaches you that you are part of a whole, something greater than yourself. It turns boys into men, hardens them, teaches them to rely on others and to help those that rely on them. It perpetuates selflessness, patriotism, honour, and pride in oneself, their unit, and their nation. Every young man should go through basic training with a choice of military or government service afterwards. Some people were not made to fight, there are other things they can do. The experience will be good for them.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles