Should Indian Army Upgrade MI-35 ?

Which is the Best Solution for MI-35 ?

• Upgrade these Machines for better performance.

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • Use these machines in their present configuration.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Phase them out with new replacements.

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

----------
----------

Present config of MI-35 :

IAF MI-35 were updated by IAI, But now IA have this helo also Will have LCH and Rudra, Its important that Logistics should be reduced if not for the whole Platform..

=========

ATE-Upgrade..

Few Positive Points about this upgrade ..

1. The new flair pod have better visual of surroundings than IAI upgrade..

2. The Gun and Ammo can be same as LCH & Rudhra..

3. The Wing-tip pylons now can carry variety of ATGM or Rocket Pods, this was not possible before..

All of the above not only reduce logistic issues but also enhance MI-35 capability..

=========

From LCH :

Digital Camo is effective as Micropattern matrix- or pixel digitizing is required to conceal the target when the focal (recognition) region of the eye, which is only a few degrees wide, is looking directly at the target. While the macropattern overall larger part of the pattern is designed to conceal the target from the ambient (detection) portion of the view which is about 10 times wider than the focal region of our eyesight. macropatterns dramatically improve the concealment factor, even to larger objects as military vehicles, in this case both the macropatterns and micropatterns become larger in scale.

=============

Its upto Army that it chose to upgrade this helos or use them as they are in there present config or retire them..

indian_sukhoi

Upgrading 20 Mi-35s which turboshalft engines and airframe coming to its end is not worth it.

Mi24s shows typical Soviet figure. Big and Multirole heli, where infantry ride with vehicles.

Mi-24 was never a pure Attack Helicopter, Its to big, heavy, slow and less maneuverability compare to its counterparts Ka-50s, Mi-28 or Apache.

2. The Gun and Ammo can be same as LCH & Rudhra..

3. The Wing-tip pylons now can carry variety of ATGM or Rocket Pods, this was not possible before..

All of the above not only reduce logistic issues but also enhance MI-35 capability..

Dunno what guns LCH and Rudhra using, If replacing Mi-35s guns with foreign made guns means a total upgrade on its weapons system right?

Might enhance but it wont give maximum usage due to its old design.

Mi-24 is an old design which is developed keeping in mind of doctrine and tactics to face back in 1970s. It was designed to be Heavy armored boxer to resist even 50 caliber gun of Enemy helicopters. Things are quite changed now, Attack helis now carry A2A missiles and superior electronics.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Upgrading 20 Mi-35s which turboshalft engines and airframe coming to its end is not worth it.
These MI-35 were recently upgraded in Ukraine, both engines and Airframe..

Mi-24 was slow, Might enhance but it wont give maximum usage due to its old design. Mi-24 is an old design which is developed keeping in mind of doctrine and tactics to face back in 1970s
MI-24 ( 335 km/h ) is fastest gunship in the world..

MI-24 evolve since then, Though Its tactics are unique and better in many ways than western counterparts..

Dunno what guns LCH and Rudhra using, If replacing Mi-35s guns with foreign made guns means a total upgrade on its weapons system right?

Things are quite changed now, Attack helis now carry A2A missiles and superior electronics.
Present MI-35 use 12.7mm Gatling gun with limited range and these are not Indian but foreign..

LCH and Rudhra use French 20mm cannon and ammo, the above ATE upgrade use similar 20mm cannon with enhance range and accuracy..

You should study this vid fully, Its give good insight of the upgrade that i mentioned :cool2: :

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Mi-24 was never a pure Attack Helicopter, Its to big, heavy, slow and less maneuverability compare to its counterparts Ka-50s, Mi-28 or Apache.
Mil-24/35 is slow? Where did you collect this piece of information from, if I may ask?

AshutoshNSingh

Replace all the 40 odd Mi-35 Hinds with Apaches. Induct LCH in addition. Because LCH is a light attack chopper not suitable for the replacement of heavy duty attack chopper.

mikhail

Country flag
yeah we can easily upgrade our MI-35s with ATE-upgradation.this will enhance the offensive capabilities of IA and from what i saw in a video was after the upgrade the MI-35 was fitted with NVG enable cockpit with an unprecedented night time attack capability.btw can anyone tell me whats the price of the upgradation offered by ATE?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They would only provide that to serious buyers :D

But from upgrades ATE upgrade is costly than IMI one which is presently on MI-35, But ATE upgrades gives more flexibility and better firepower so does avionics..

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If it only costs a few million dollars I would say it is worth it. The French optics alone will make it all weather combat capable. If it is running in the 4-6 million I have to say get new helicopters. The engine life isn't very good on Motor Sich units.

Damian

All Mi-24/35 series, AH-64D and LCH have their place, advantages and disadvantages.

IMHO:

Mi-24/35 should be used as a flying IFV + close fire support hellicopter, some of it's characteristics are unique, worth to be keept.
AH-64D should be used as a tank destroyers and to provide fire support from longer ranges thanks to it's superior long range weapons, electrooptics, radar, good to hunt armored formations from a long range or destroy precisely point targets with AGM-114's or DAGR and APKWS.
LCH should be used as intended, as a lightweight attack/recce helo.

Killswitch

Country flag
The Mi 35'sin service are too old to sink any money into. The Apache and LCH are the future. The Hinds will be retired in a few years.

Damian

Small informations. On this year AUSA conference US Army officials said that AH-64D Block III will recive new designation code because there were many changes and it seems resonable to have a new designation code for new version. Now it will be AH-64E, if I'am correct India ordered the Block III right? Then congratulations, India will be the first foreing user of the new AH-64 variant. ;)

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I'm with Damian on this one, both choppers have their uses. In fact the Apaches and the Akbar's can be used in tandem to launch devastating SF assaults wherein the Apaches's can take out the heavy armor and communications of the OPFOR while the Hinds disgorge SF teams to clean out the rest.

also i would recommend using them in anti militancy operations throughout india

abingdonboy

Country flag
What's the point when India is getting the AH-64E? If rumours are to belvied the eventual number of Apaches in Indian colours could touch 80.

Also I'm not sure whether it is clear the Apaches would now go to the AAC or the IAF still?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The first batch of AH-64 which is cleared will be with IAF..

Latter versions will go to Army..

abingdonboy

Country flag
The first batch of AH-64 which is cleared will be with IAF..

Latter versions will go to Army..
Two seperate forces operating the Apache simutaniously-that will be interesting!

Also do you reckon the IAF will go for the standard dark green camo on their Apaches or will they go for their standard low-vis grey (as on their exisiting MI-35 gunships)? And will the AAC put their own camo on like on the ALHs or the standarsd dark green?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Army will use its camo and we know IAF will be using Grey..

I hope we Army go for digital camo just as the pic i posted on first page of LCH..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles