Should India stop using Shaheed for soldiers killed in action?

fyodor

Country flag
Meaning of Shaheed is a muslim who died while doing Jihad.
"It is used as an honorific for Muslims who have died fulfilling a religious commandment, especially those who die wielding jihad, or historically in the military expansion of Islam."
Source: Shahid

As far as I know Indian Army doesn't do Jihad but protect a largely Hindu secular nation. So why do we use shaheed?
What do you think can be a proper alternative for martyrs?

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
It does not matter. When an Indian soldier is martyred he is Hindu-Shaheed.

blueblood

"It is used as an honorific for Muslims who have died fulfilling a religious commandment, especially those who die wielding jihad, or historically in the military expansion of Islam."
Source: Shahid

As far as I know Indian Army doesn't do Jihad but protect a largely Hindu secular nation. So why do we use shaheed?
How about we stop using Urdu words altogether and start using "pure Hindi" (north and central India) instead of the current "Hindustani"?

Indian Army should also stop using British traditions like regiment system etc., we are not Brits nor are we ruled by them. Artillery regiment is the worst, "Izzat O Iqbal", WTH does that even mean.

Also why use India or Hindustan?:rolleyes:

PS: I want this forum to be in HINDI.

fyodor

Country flag
It does not matter. When an Indian soldier is martyred he is Hindu-Shaheed.
That's an illogical statement. A Shaheed means a person died doing Jihad. Jihad is a religious war against non-muslims.
Why should a nation which claims to be secular use such a religiously loaded word?

Hindu Shaheed :- A Hindu who died doing Islamic Jihad.

Do you think that makes sense?

fyodor

Country flag
How about we stop using Urdu words altogether and start using "pure Hindi" (north and central India) instead of the current "Hindustani"?

Indian Army should also stop using British traditions like regiment system etc., we are not Brits nor are we ruled by them. Artillery regiment is the worst, "Izzat O Iqbal", WTH does that even mean.

We should promote regional languages of India not only a particular regional language. Remember Tamil,Telugu,Kannad etc are also Indian...even more so then Hindi because Hindi is a mixed language. I am a Hindi speaker and I am saying this.
But lets not digress and go off topic. This is not a regional language debate.

blueblood

This is not a regional language debate.
No mate it's not. It's about being intolerant of little things which doesn't mean much. Calling a person Shahid is not the kind of problem which is supposed to discussed?

IIRC, Sikhs too call their martyr "SHAHID". Also should we also change the motto of "regiment of artillery" because "izzat" and "iqbal" don't sound very Indian (read right wing Hindu) to me.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

In todays scenario we cant even utter a sentence without Urdu and English word... try speaking and see. :lol:

When I speak pure Hindi it goes over heads of almost all people. :sad:

Anyway on topic... I guess it's not such a important issue in present time.We got much more serious issues to tackle.

blueblood

In todays scenario we cant even utter a sentence without Urdu and English word... try speaking and see. :lol:

When I speak pure Hindi it goes over heads of almost all people. :sad:

Anyway on topic... I guess it's not such a important issue in present time.We got much more serious issues to tackle.
Just because I hate Pakis doesn't mean that I am gonna stop listening to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Abida Parveen or Sabri brothers.

Just because I have problem with some dcikheads doesn't mean I am gonna stop eating Keema Kaleji or Cheese burst :p And revert back to wearing Dhoti and sell my car for a bullock cart.

Simple_Guy

Veergati is also used. Another is kesaria or throwing yourself in a do or die battle, mostly used in Rajput areas.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think Shaheed is also a word in Hindustani, which was the language of the Army till changed to Hindi.

Hence, it is a a flowback from those times and not change.

One wonders why it is said Shaheed Bhagat Singh.

What would be the Hindi equivalent?

pkroyal

I think Shaheed is also a word in Hindustani, which was the language of the Army till changed to Hindi.

Hence, it is a a flowback from those times and not change.

One wonders why it is said Shaheed Bhagat Singh.

What would be the Hindi equivalent?
" Amar" ( one who does not die)
" Mrityunjay" ( one who has conquered death)
" Ajar" ( one who defies bodily experiences ie death)

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
The language Nazis are everywhere.

They don't have the basic understanding that every language 'borrow' words from other language to which it comes to in contact with. The borrowed word may or may not have the same meaning. It's so common in everywhre and every language.

Shaheed might have a meaning in Urdu or Arabic, but borrowed and absorbed in other languages it has got the meaning of a person who have laid down his/her life in greater cause, more likely for the nation. Even in Bengali it means that.

mikhail

Country flag
The language Nazis are everywhere.

They don't have the basic understanding that every language 'borrow' words from other language to which it comes to in contact with. The borrowed word may or may not have the same meaning. It's so common in everywhre and every language.

Shaheed might have a meaning in Urdu or Arabic, but borrowed and absorbed in other languages it has got the meaning of a person who have laid down his/her life in greater cause, more likely for the nation. Even in Bengali it means that.
Mate,Bengal was under the Islamic influence for over 500 years and hence we find many Turkish or Arabic loan words in the Bengali language.But in Old Bengali language(Sadhu Bhasha) people used the word "Veergati" or "Balidaan" instead of "Shaheed".It's only in the colloquial Bengali language we generally use the word "Shaheed".

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Mate,Bengal was under the Islamic influence for over 500 years and hence we find many Turkish or Arabic loan words in the Bengali language.But in Old Bengali language(Sadhu Bhasha) people used the word "Veergati" or "Balidaan" instead of "Shaheed".It's only in the colloquial Bengali language we generally use the word "Shaheed".
True. But the word has been absorbed in our language - both in Hindi and Bengali - sans its religious connotation. Hence, there should not be any retrospective digging up or mud just for the sake of misplaced sense of nationalism or over enthusiasm of Hindutva. Just too many urdu words - which has root in Arabic - is there in Hindi - albeit colloquial Hindi- too get rid off. this sort of sudden enthusiasm will do nothing but more division between us - not only hindu and muslim - but like a person like me who do not like to look back in history to find identity.

mikhail

Country flag
True. But the word has been absorbed in our language - both in Hindi and Bengali - sans its religious connotation. Hence, there should not be any retrospective digging up or mud just for the sake of misplaced sense of nationalism or over enthusiasm of Hindutva. Just too many urdu words - which has root in Arabic - is there in Hindi - albeit colloquial Hindi- too get rid off. this sort of sudden enthusiasm will do nothing but more division between us - not only hindu and muslim - but like a person like me who do not like to look back in history to find identity.
Well what the heck!A simple word shouldn't be the cause of discontent between two mature and educated human beings.Personally i like the word "Veergati" but then it's only a word for Chrissake.The thing which matters most at the end of the day is that those men made the Supreme sacrifice for our Motherland.So it's our paramount duty to honor their sacrifice and not fight over some trivial issues.Those men and the families they left behind deserve the highest respect from their countrymen and it's time we stop fighting over stupid war on words and instead take care of the loved ones that they have left behind them:india:.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles