Should India invest in becoming self-sufficient?

Spitfire9

Country flag
USA kicked Turkey off the F-35 list of customers when Turkey acquired S-400. I note that the US Secretary of Defence, visiting India, side-stepped the possibility of India suffering US sanctions for buying a defensive system from Russia.

Apart from being pressurised by USA when choosing suppliers, India could potentially find sales of Indian equipment blocked if the equipment uses foreign-sourced components (eg engines) or customers refuse to buy Indian equipment containing Israeli components (eg Israeli radar).

I would suggest that India should up investment and performance in developing indigenous systems so that forthcoming procurement or exports can proceed without political hindrance.

Do people agree that the aim should be total indigenisation? If so, what technologies should be developed and productionised? Which ones are the most important? I think engine design, production and test technology would be the obvious area lacking at the moment.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
We already are becoming, S400 will be delivered to us, after that we will be self sufficient with XR-SAM of our own.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Do people agree that the aim should be total indigenisation? If so, what technologies should be developed and productionised? Which ones are the most important? I think engine design, production and test technology would be the obvious area lacking at the moment.
Indeed government had vision over it already. That's why a campaign called Atmanirbhar Bharat (literally means Self sufficient India) is being ran to be self sufficient in all agricultural and industrial products.

We at least can escape such weapon shortage situation if ongoing projects are completed on time.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles