Shashi Tharoor: Britain owes reparations to India

thethinker

Country flag
congressi learned how to do such drama from brits,very old association between them you know :laugh: ,
modi praised him because he had too,
this is already a politics between modi,tharoor,congressi and now brits came for bullsh*tting ???
This debate had taken a while back. It getting lot of attention now before PM's visit to UK is interesting.

Either way, it was a wonderful speech, political differences aside. He roasted Brits with his humour.

Imagine standing in front of Brits in UK and delivering a gem which is something like this :

"It is said that the sun doesn't set on British empire. It is because even God doesn't trust English in the dark".

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
man,dont fall for that,brits knew how indians gonna react when this video gets public,they know indians better than indian know about themselves,
must be the reason first place how they ruled india.
I am not going to vote for him under any case if you are thinking that

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
We don't believe in Reparations ... we believe in REVENGE. :devil:

Riddler_22

What moral right does he have to point fingers at the British ?his party has done twice more damage to the country than the former colonial masters.

British were colonial rulers,what did you except for them? All colonial rulers were plundered and Britain was no different.

Playing the victim card and blaming the former rulers for the failures of today makes us look cheap in front of the world.

Just how long will we play this card?

It's 70 years and countries which were in as miserable shape as us back then are now well ahead of us.Last checked even Bangladesh has overtaken us in many fields.

Agreed 70 years is not enough to reach western standards but why is the country still in the bottom of the heap right along with the very worst of Africa ? Atleast we could have reached to the levels of Philippines or Indonesia.

This is a country which even after 70 years of independence is struggling with basic amenities like clean drinking water,let alone food and housing.

Therefore until and unless we become a successful country,we have no right to castigate others.
You make it sound like we deserved the occupation.Dude look at the size and diversity of India,you can't compare it with Philippines and Indonesia.We have come a long way since 1947 .Tharoor has made some really good points.Britain at least need to formally apologize for its actions if not providing reparations.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
You make it sound like we deserved the occupation.Dude look at the size and diversity of India,you can't compare it with Philippines and Indonesia.We have come a long way since 1947 .Tharoor has made some really good points.Britain at least need to formally apologize for its actions if not providing reparations.
Well britain infected us with something far far sinister. Political leftists and Marxists. They are the reason we are pi$$ poor today.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
He Is a known self hater with massive inferiority complex. Just so you know :yo:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
I like it. We can make UK our 31st state :hmm:
That's no fun....we should do something like what Germany is doing to Greece :lol: all the loot and no responsibility.
Check out Portugal where this plan has been successfully implemented.

Riddler_22

Well britain infected us with something far far sinister. Political leftists and Marxists. They are the reason we are pi$$ poor today.
True.But no let's just blame it all on 'ganwar' Indians.Apparently its all their fault.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
That's no fun....we should do something like what Germany is doing to Greece :lol: all the loot and no responsibility.
Check out Portugal where this plan has been successfully implemented.
British women are fat and ugly and their weather is shitty for 10 months, so no 31st state. So better rip them off like you said.

Riddler_22

British women are fat and ugly and their weather is shitty for 10 months, so no 31st state. So better rip them off like you said.
No matter how hard I try but I can never bring myself to hate Britain.LOTR, HP , The Beatles, pink Floyd , Liverpool fc,cricket ,Sherlock Holmes,the amazing accent ...BC all belong or have origins in Britain:Facepalm

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
No matter how hard I try but I can never bring myself to hate Britain.LOTR, HP , The Beatles, pink Floyd , Liverpool fc,cricket ,Sherlock Holmes,the amazing accent ...BC all belong or have origins in Britain:Facepalm
That generation is long dead and no surprise they ruled the world. What is left behind are a bunch of ******s, who just hate their non-relevance in modern world.

thethinker

Country flag
True story. :truestory:

"Winston Churchill, the hallowed British War prime minister who saved Europe from a monster like Hitler was disturbingly callous about the roaring famine that was swallowing Bengal’s population. He casually diverted the supplies of medical aid and food that was being dispatched to the starving victims to the already well supplied soldiers of Europe.

When entreated upon he said, “Famine or no famine, Indians will breed like rabbits.” The Delhi Government sent a telegram painting to him a picture of the horrible devastation and the number of people who had died. His only response was, “Then why hasn’t Gandhi died yet?”

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
This Tharoor took all the info from twitter and blogs and not even acknowledged them.
His a$$ is on fire or else why would he bring the facts(which is not congress style) into the picture that too when Chornia is alive.It seems he want to prolong or escape the investigation he's going through.Never trust him.
Til kaa taad mat banayiye.. Shashi Tharror simply said what was known and a fad with his generation and afterwards.. may not be now.

What ever Sashi Tharoor said is well taught in Indian universities in much more details ... though in leftist / commie ways... That aids the Congees in political dispensation. What makes that attractive is that he said that in Oxford ... which remained an Indian ruling institution till now ... most of the Oxens ruling the roost in India till quite late ..

The seminal book " India Today" by great Rajani Palm Dutt (RP Dutt) available on DLI , son of RC Dutt (both Christians) was General Secretary of Communist Party of Great Britain (CPGB) and he laid bare his economic analysis as to bring out as to how ruthlessly Great Britain Colonials plundered and destroyed India. His book is one of the basic text for the papers on India's freedom struggle in BA (Hons) Political Science and Economics courses as also for Sociology. ( Go to DLI and look for it)

AR Desai is another historian / economist who did that along with many others.

The fantastic studies by Dharampal, a Gandhian, who carried out about ten years research in British Archives, are simply stunning and thought provoking about effects of colonialism on Indian education, land revenue, economy. industry, Indian scientific achievements and speacially on agriculture. His four volumes are also available on DLI. Go there and search for Dharmapal...

Now comes, Malhotra whose basic focus is Angloshere and comparative religion.

Besides, that there are many books available on DLI on effects of war on Indian Economy... and the crippling plunders carried out by the British in India..

One can do well by reading @ershaktivels comments about Dr Amritya Sen on DFI ... specially his comments on Bengal Famine...

Be a little serious .... or one remains either praising or condemning someone just in air..

Varahamihira

Country flag
Til kaa taad mat banayiye.. Shashi Tharror simply said what was known and a fad with his generation and afterwards.. may not be now.

What ever Sashi Tharoor said is well taught in Indian universities in much more details ... though in leftist / commie ways... That aids the Congees in political dispensation. What makes that attractive is that he said that in Oxford ... which remained an Indian ruling institution till now ... most of the Oxens ruling the roost in India till quite late ..

The seminal book " India Today" by great Rajani Palm Dutt (RP Dutt) available on DLI , son of RC Dutt (both Christians) was General Secretary of Communist Party of Great Britain (CPGB) and he laid bare his economic analysis as to bring out as to how ruthlessly Great Britain Colonials plundered and destroyed India. His book is one of the basic text for the papers on India's freedom struggle in BA (Hons) Political Science and Economics courses as also for Sociology. ( Go to DLI and look for it)

AR Desai is another historian / economist who did that along with many others.

The fantastic studies by Dharampal, a Gandhian, who carried out about ten years research in British Archives, are simply stunning and thought provoking about effects of colonialism on Indian education, land revenue, economy. industry, Indian scientific achievements and speacially on agriculture. His four volumes are also available on DLI. Go there and search for Dharmapal...

Now comes, Malhotra whose basic focus is Angloshere and comparative religion.

Besides, that there are many books available on DLI on effects of war on Indian Economy... and the crippling plunders carried out by the British in India..

One can do well by reading @ershaktivels comments about Dr Amritya Sen on DFI ... specially his comments on Bengal Famine...

Be a little serious .... or one remains either praising or condemning someone just in air..
I'm not making any rai ka pahaad.

If it was fad in his generation then it would have created a big scene in the whole country and news papers would be highlighting every now and then at that time.Did that happened?No,'coz the left-communists who were holding the academic-political circles didn't brought to the common man.

And Tharoor is an opportunist.

And please don't teach me about communists.During fight against Nizams communists laid down their life but to only Hyderabad to not join India.This is only one example.Communists always fight the ruler doesn't matter whether the ruler or ruling party is right or wrong,even they extend the fight to arms struggle like CPI(ML),maoists,etc. And I come from a land where we kicked these maoists,PWG to their rightful places.

My point is Tharoor brought this up in UK Supreme court in late 2014 but why almost the same speech in Oxford is being highlighted by the Mainstream Media now?

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
And The Clockwork Orange :lol:
True.But no let's just blame it all on 'ganwar' Indians.Apparently its all their fault.
Indians are morons but our intellectual class failed us. The decay had long begun even before the first invader set his foot on Mother India.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
I'm not making any rai ka pahaad.

If it was fad in his generation then it would have created a big scene in the whole country and news papers would be highlighting every now and then at that time.Did that happened?No,'coz the left-communists who were holding the academic-political circles didn't brought to the common man.

And Tharoor is an opportunist.

And please don't teach me about communists.During fight against Nizams communists laid down their life but to only Hyderabad to not join India.This is only one example.Communists always fight the ruler doesn't matter whether the ruler or ruling party is right or wrong,even they extend the fight to arms struggle like CPI(ML),maoists,etc. And I come from a land where we kicked these maoists,PWG to their rightful places.

My point is Tharoor brought this up in UK Supreme court in late 2014 but why almost the same speech in Oxford is being highlighted by the Mainstream Media now?
He is gonna get F***KED .... real bad :lol:

prohumanity

Country flag
Most Congress leaders were "British" in their heart ...British with brown skin..(exception: Indira Gandhi and Mr. Shastri)
All these pseudo-British are greatly responsible for India's timidity and low self esteem. ManMohan " the meek" under thumb of Sonia Mano and Rahul Paapu thought they can make India again subservient to West.
Mr Tharoor's speech somehow negates the "oportunistic" and "unpatriotic" congress leadership who wanted Indians to stay divided and preserve their "Vote Banks" . Just like westerners, they believe in "divide and rule" as their DNA is contaminated with "Goras". BJP is not going anywhere at least for another decade as they are making India self confident and powerful. Its harder to fool Indian voters now.

Country flag
http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...ion-and-the-space-programme-we-still-pay-for/

British reply:

REPARATIONS FOR COLONIALISM IN INDIA? HOW ABOUT RAILWAYS, ROADS, IRRIGATION, AND THE SPACE PROGRAMME WE STILL PAY FOR?

by RAHEEM KASSAM22 Jul 2015702

So a former minister of the Indian government went in front of a couple of hundred students and argued that British colonialism in India was a dreadful thing, and that Britain owes India “reparations”. I’ll give you one guess as to how that vote in the Oxford Union went.

But despite Shashi Tharoor winning the debate entitled, “This House Believes Britain Owes Reparations to her Former Colonies”, I’m afraid I have to say, as a Briton of Indian descent: he’s dreadfully wrong.

Yeah, alright, Dr Tharoor came equipped with a few choice quotes from Churchill on Gandhi, and an anecdote or two about how the British behaved during the Raj. But if India was serious about levelling the playing field on colonialism, it’d scrap its parliamentary democracy, tear up its railroads, flood its irrigation systems, and bomb its roads to smithereens.

Ridiculous, you say? Well quite. India benefited massively from British rule. In fact, were it not for how pathetic and disgraceful our current government is, one might look at the state of India today – the abject poverty that abounds despite all the talk about her being the next superpower – and say, “Hmmm… maybe the British could run this thing a little better.”

Britain invested almost £400 billion in today’s money in India between 1850 and 1930. Under British rule, the Indian population tripled. Because living standards improved. And who can forget gin and tonics quinine, which drastically cut malaria deaths?

Gasp. We can’t say that, can we? That’d be “rraaacccissstttt” or something. But not nearly as racist as what Dr Tharoor himself said in the Oxford Union debate. I’m still waiting for a social justice warrior to cry about this one. I’ll probably be waiting a long time. But in his speech Dr Tharoor said: “The Sun couldn’t set on the British empire, because even God couldn’t trust the English in the dark.”

Think about it for a second. In fact, let’s play a game. You swap out the word “English” for another nationality, and see if you think you wouldn’t get into a heap load of trouble for making such a remark. Come on, try it with me:

Even God couldn’t trust the Nigerians in the dark. Racist.

Even God couldn’t trust the Chinese in the dark. Racist.

Even God couldn’t trust the Americans in the dark.

Well that one’s fine because America is obviously another repressive, hate-filled, Nazi country with nothing to be proud of, but everything to apologise for, right?

Dr Tharoor made a further point in his speech that he didn’t even want much from Britain on the reparations front: “…personally I would even be happy if the UK pays a pound a year for the next 100 years”. I wish that were the case.

Actually, we’re paying more like £200 million a year in India to aid, despite her having a larger economy than us, with her own foreign aid budget and indeed space programme. And even though this is supposed to stop (so say the Tories, anyway) it seems to me that we’ve given a little more than what Dr Tharoor is asking. So on the basis that it stops immediately, Dr Tharoor can consider all of that his country’s “reparations”.

Actually, no he can’t. Because that would imply wrongdoing, and Britons need to be clear about the fact that you can’t have things both ways.

India would be a much poorer country were it not for British rule (and vice versa, by the way) – culturally, financially, and politically.

So why don’t we just cut out all the rhetoric and embrace each other as Commonwealth partners? Equal partners even. Which means India doesn’t need British aid to pay for street lights or space rockets, and Britain doesn’t need to grovel for something that a lot of right headed Indians are still grateful to this day for.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles