Sharad Yadav threatens to drink poison over women's quota : the childishness!!!

Rage

DFI TEAM
Sharad Yadav picks poison over women's quota

6 Jun 2009, 0110 hrs IST, TNN

NEW DELHI: The anti-women quota rhetoric hit the roof on Friday, with JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav threatening to drink poison in the House to oppose the measure. He added for good measure: ``This is tokenism. Women will not gain freedom by making a woman as President or Speaker or giving them quota.''

Few, however, were moved by the JD(U) convener's theatrics, seen as a last-gasp effort to rally the OBC political class against the constitutional amendment bill.

``This time, the bill will be passed,'' remarked a stoic Sushma Swaraj, BJP's deputy leader in Lok Sabha, reflecting the growing confidence that the landmark bill will, finally, go through. Opinion within Yadav's own JD(U) seemed split, with Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar, according to sources, in no mood to obstruct the passage of the bill.

Sources said that Kumar whose government reserved 50% of seats for women in panchayats and local bodies — the first initiative of its kind — may shortly convey his view to party MPs.

Yadav, however, was completely undeterred as he came down heavily on the UPA government's fresh push for the contentious legislation, as reflected by President Pratibha Patil in her joint address to Parliament on Thursday. Calling it tokenism which would not liberate women, Yadav reiterated his demand for an OBC quota within the larger women's quota. Invoking Socrates, the ancient Greek philosopher, he announced that he could go so far as to drink poison.

``Socrates had to consume poison to usher in a revolution. I will also consume poison,'' said the JD(U) leader.

Yadav has been an old hand at opposing the women's quota. A few years ago, he caused an uproar with his remark that the bill was designed to benefit the city-based women elite whom he described as ``par kati auraten'' (women with short hair).

While the protest from Yadav and other OBC leaders has succeeded in holding up the passage of the constitutional amendment bill all these years, this time, he appears to be fighting a losing battle. The Congress leadership, which put the measure on hold for fear of annoying the formidable OBC class, seems determined to assert itself on the issue. It can count on both the BJP and Left which have consistently campaigned for the women's quota.

Yadav said the pressure for women's quota did not come out of any movement but was the demand of a handful of Delhi-centric women. He said the real reason for the backwardness of womenfolk was the entrenched caste system, and the quota would not address that.

``The mothers of India are slaves because of caste system. Break the caste system and women will themselves progress without any help of quota,'' said Yadav.

The known critic of quota said the legislation was a ploy to reduce the growing membership of backwards in the legislatures. He said certain sections were unable to stomach the rising strength of poor and backwards in Parliament and assemblies, and thought that women's bill was the best way to strike at their numbers.

Sharad Yadav picks poison over women's quota - India - The Times of India

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
What is this it is better that Yadav dies rather then this . this is childish to say the least

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well to tell the truth the Women's quota is pure BS to get feminist votes and degrading our already degraded recruitment systems. I feel like this. I am totally against it. I think talent must prevail not sex. I can also live with the community quotas and tribal quotas but not discrimination by sex. It is an insult to womanhood.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
kumar i ment the melo drama that yadav is making but apart from that I agree with him as it is were are divided enough now we have to be divided on the base of gender grate

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
reservation or quota in any form has to be discouraged. the only thing that reservation does is put aside merit and promote the undeserved who become a part of the system who further rot the system that we all live in. today it is women in the parliament, tomorrow it will be in the educational institutes, day after it will be in the jobs both in the government sector and in the private sector. today the matter is women upliftment by way of reservation, tomorrow it will be region upliftment on the same pretext, and the day is not far when the same will be done to uplift people below the so called creamy layer. there was a time i was a proponent of reservation for people below the poverty line, may be i will stick to that stand even today but still if that is allowed the only thing that it will do is to undermine the merit. the only way to tackle this issue is by providing incentives at various levels which can be in cash or can be in kind as is being followed in various states and has been taken up by the central government. girls are not charged fees in government institutes, way to go, girl child to be given cash post her 10+2, way to go, she to be provided bicycle to travel to school, way to go and it is through these means women need to be uplifted but certainly not by way of reservations. one looks forward to the day when we can have a system without any reservations, where every one is given equal opportunity, where the law sees all as one, something that is certainly not happening now.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Witness the hypocrisy!....:

Sharad Yadav demands quota for OBCs in Women's Bill

7 Jun 2009, 0250 hrs IST, TNN

NEW DELHI: After threatening to consume poison if the women's reservation bill is passed in the current form, JD(U) president Sharad Yadav on Saturday said his party has no objection to the quota Bill, provided there is adequate representation for the weaker sections.

The JD(U) leader sought changes in the existing bill introducing separate quota for those belonging to the backward castes. He said he would have no objection even if 50% reservation is given, but "ground realities should not be overlooked...weaker sections among women face more difficulty."

Yadav said his party in Bihar had implemented 50% reservation for women two-and-a-half-years ago. "The aspirations of 90% of the population and the nature of Indian society should be kept in mind before passing the Bill," he said.

Justifying his stand, the JD(U) chief had said on Friday that "the mothers of India are slaves because of caste system. Break the caste system and women will themselves progress without any help of quota."

Yadav had said that the proposed quota was a ploy to reduce the growing membership of backwards in the legislatures. He felt that certain sections were unable to stomach the rising strength of poor and backwards in Parliament and assemblies, and thought that women's bill was the best way to strike at their numbers.

Sharad Yadav demands quota for OBCs in Women's Bill - India - The Times of India

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
My heart aches, and a drowsy numbness pains
My sense, as though of hemlock I had drunk,
Or emptied some dull opiate to the drains
One minute past, and Lethe-wards had sunk:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles