Shahid Afridi bites the ball in a case of clear Ball tampering

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

One more reason this guy should be kept not only out of IPL but international cricket as well.

Last edited:

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Yes, he should get banned. The evidence is clear.

He has anyway been a mediocre cricketer for the most part. Extremely ordinary stats after such a long career,

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Afridi banned for two T20s for ball-tampering

Shahid Afridi has been banned for two Twenty20 internationals after being found guilty of ball-tampering during Pakistan's two-wicket loss to Australia at the WACA in Perth.

Afridi, leading Pakistan for the second time in an ODI, in the absence of Mohammad Yousuf, was caught on TV cameras apparently biting the ball on a couple of occasions. The incident was reported to the on-field umpires by the TV umpire and after a chat with Afridi, the umpires changed the ball immediately.

Afridi was called into a hearing with the match referee Ranjan Madugalle immediately after the match. "Shahid Afridi has been banned for two T20Is after the incident," a team official told Cricinfo. "He pleaded guilty to the charge."

The punishment puts Pakistan into a quandary because Afridi is their Twenty20 captain and they end their tour of Australia with a Twenty20 in Melbourne on February 5. Yousuf, who captained Pakistan in Tests and ODIs, is not part of the Twenty20 squad and Younis Khan, who was captain before the tour of New Zealand which preceded this one, has retired from the format. Shoaib Malik, who was captain in all three formats this time last year, might be one of those in the running. Afridi will also now miss the first Twenty20 against England in Abu Dhabi in February.

"It's unacceptable," Intikhab Alam, the Pakistan coach, said. "It shouldn't have happened but it happened and I feel sorry for him. Being a captain you should be above everything but unfortunately it's happened."

Afridi's antics were part of a bizarre finale to the game, which sealed a 5-0 win for Australia. Opener Khalid Latif was tackled by a fan who broke through the security cordon and ran on to the field. Police have spoken to Latif, who is not thought to be seriously injured. But action is likely to be taken against the spectator and Pakistan's management will also look at the incident in further detail.

"I thought it was disgraceful," Australian seamer Clint McKay said. "Something you don't want to see ever. For someone to go out there and to touch one of their players is not on. Hopefully it all gets put to bed and he gets a right whack. It's probably the worst thing that can happen on a cricket field, so hopefully it gets stamped out and we don't see it again."

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
Pakistani Cricketers are doing it for a long time. There are videos of Waqar Younis, Imran Khan tampering with cricket ball. May be Afridi is frustrated as he is not playing in IPL and in the process lost a lot of money.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
He was just trying to do something so that his team finally wins something down under. Poor fellow forgot that this is not the eighties and there are cameras all over that catch every movement of any cricketer.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Where are conspiracy theorists from Pakistan let's identify the camera man who caught this he/she must be Indian trying to malice the supremely talented cricketer of Pakistan and RAW must have pressurized the match t referee to take this decision. All Hindu Yehudi USA conspiracy to bring bad name to Pakistan

neo29

he must have been frustrated with pakistan loosing all games. instead of biting his fist he ended up biting the ball . perhaps he was hungry . lol .

pankaj nema

Country flag
He was venting his massive frustration on being left out of IPL. This was a crude attempt to turn around the match.
Does anybody remember shahid afridi trying to damage the pitch using his spikes. Even that was caught on camera
and he was punished

prahladh

Respected Member
Look at the bright side. Its better than biting Aussie players.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
All teams tamper with the ball: Afridi

Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi has courted controversy yet again. This time the Pathan from Peshawar was caught on camera biting the cricket ball during a match against Australia, which invited the ire of the ICC that slapped him with a 2-match ban. However, Afridi is unrepentant and has gone to say that all teams tamper with the ball.

The International Cricket Council took note of Shahid Afridi's bizarre act at Perth and slapped him with a 2-match ban, which did go well with the all-rounder. Afridi was banned for two Twenty20 Internationals after pleading guilty to a ball-tampering charge during the fifth ODI against Australia by Match Referee Ranjan Madugalle. Afridi, who led Pakistan in the final ODI in place of the unfit Mohammad Yousuf, was caught on camera chewing on one side of the ball while walking to the run up with bowler Mohammad Asif.

Speaking to TIMES NOW, Afridi handed over a bizarre explanation for this crazy exploit. Despite being punished, Afridi remained unrepentant. The Pakistani captain also went on to allege that he is not alone in the business of ball tampering.

He said, "I'm ashamed of myself. I shouldn't have done such an act. It happened in the heat of the moment. I apologise for my mistake. It was a close match and Pakistan had not won any match. We needed a win and I just wanted to help the fast bowlers. I did it on that spur of moment. I have been banned now and I have learnt my lessons. I will ensure it doesn't happen again."

"There is no team in the world that does not tamper with the ball, but yes my method was wrong," added Afridi.

This explanation from Afridi has not gone well with experts and the team management. "It is unfortunate what has happened because Afridi was due to lead Pakistan in the Twenty20 match next week against Australia," said Inthikhab Alam, Coach, Pakistan.

Meanwhile, former cricketers too slammed Afridi for this bizarre act. Moin Khan, Former Pakistani cricketer said, "At least he has the courage to accept his mistake. Unfortunately he did something like this to win the match, which was caught on camera."

Shaun Udal, Former Cricketer, England said, "His stupidity continues to court controversy. He has done something like this in the past. I hope he pays for it properly."

This is not the first time that Afridi has been caught on the wrong side of the law. In 2005, Afridi was banned for twisting his spikes and trying to change the condition of the pitch during a Test match in Faisalabad against England. He was banned for four matches after being found guilty.

In 2007, at the Centurion Park in South Africa, Afridi lost his cool on his way back to the pavilion. The Pathan was banned once again after brandishing his bat at the spectator. In the same year Afridi was involved in an ugly spat with Indian Batsman Gautam Gambhir during the 3rd ODI at Kanpur's Green Park stadium. Afridi however escaped from a ban after this incident.

In the past Pakistan bowlers were often accused of tampering with he cricket ball. However, they always remained defiant and even in one occasion forfeit a Test match, while denying all charges. But Afridi's latest antics seem to have blown the lid off a well kept secret and his allegations are certain to open a can of worms.
Souce

Like they say pehle chori, upar se seena jori

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Afridi can smell the ball with his teeth

Pakistan's Shahid Afridi has been banned for two Twenty20 internationals after being caught up in a ball-tampering row during his team's defeat in last night's final one-dayer against Australia.

Afridi, who was captaining Pakistan in the absence of Mohammad Yousuf, was caught on TV cameras apparently biting the ball in the match at the WACA in Perth where Australia completed a 5-0 whitewash of the one-day series.

"Shahid Afridi has been banned for two T20Is after the incident," a Pakistan team official told the Cricinfo website.

"He pleaded guilty to the charge."

Afridi, who captains the Pakistan side in Twenty20 cricket, will miss the match against Australia on February 5 as well as the first of two matches against England in Dubai on February 19.

The International Cricket Council confirmed Afridi had received two suspension points after breaching its code of conduct during the game.

Two suspension points in the code means a ban of a Test, two ODIs or two T20Is.

Afridi was charged with an article 2.2.9 offence of the code which relates to "changing the condition of the ball in breach of Law 42.3 of the laws of cricket".

The charge was laid by on-field umpires Asoka de Silva and Paul Reiffel, as well as third umpire Rod Tucker and fourth official Mick Martell.

Match referee Ranjan Madugalle handed Afridi the maximum penalty under the provision of the code.

"I imposed the maximum penalty under the code to Shahid and reminded him of his responsibilities as a national captain, which is to ensure that the match is played according to the laws of the game and in the spirit in which it is intended to be played," Madugalle said.

"Shahid, when pleading guilty, apologised and regretted his actions."

Before Afridi's punishment was decided, Pakistan coach Intikhab Alam called the incident "unacceptable".

"It shouldn't have happened but it happened and I feel sorry for him," he said.

"Being a captain you should be above everything but unfortunately it's happened and it's up to the referee what sort of charges he's going to level against him."

When asked why Afridi may have bit into the ball, Intikhab replied: "It just happened, probably was eating apple you know.

"I have no idea."

In a post-match interview, Afridi told Grandstand's Peter Walsh he did not put the ball in his mouth.

"No, I was trying to smell it and see how it was feeling," he said.

When Walsh suggested teeth are not used for smelling, Afridi responded: "Sometimes you can do".

He then asked Walsh to stop asking negative questions.

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
please comment

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/01/2806107.htm

In a post-match interview, Afridi told Grandstand's Peter Walsh he did not put the ball in his mouth.

"No, I was trying to smell it and see how it was feeling," he said.

When Walsh suggested teeth are not used for smelling, Afridi responded: "Sometimes you can do".

He then asked Walsh to stop asking negative questions.
:D

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
There is no concept of fair play in Pushtunwali.

These people can never be taught to play by the rules, only forced to do so.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Rules are changing, allow ball tampering: Afridi

A day after he was caught on camera biting the ball, Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi [ Images ] urged the International Cricket Council [ Images ] (ICC [ Images ]) to legalise ball tampering.

"The game and its rules are changing. You should be allowed to tamper with the ball after the 30th or 40th over," Afridi said.

"Only a few get to do some bit of ball tampering. If the weather is dry and hot then you can get some help from the pitch while bowling. But you also have to help the ball yourself.

"You have to tamper with the ball to make it swing on subcontinental pitches.

"It spells death for bowlers if you don't tamper with the ball. You can get some help from the pitch but even then you have to 'make' the ball," Afridi went on to explain.

Afridi was seen biting the ball during the fifth and final One-Day International against Australia [ Images ] on Sunday.

Meanwhile, he said ball tampering is nothing new and that only his method was wrong.

"There is no team in the world that doesn't tamper with the ball," added Afridi in his defence.

"My methods were wrong. I am embarrassed, I shouldn't have done it. I just wanted to win us a game but this was the wrong way to do it," he was quoted as saying by the local media.

"I apologise to all and everyone involved in the match and to the fans around the world. This will never happen again," he added.

Afridi pleaded for forgiveness and conceded that being the stand-in captain he should have been more careful.

"Being the captain I should have been a role-model for my players which I was not, but I hope I will be forgiven," he said.

What a shameless guy!!!

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
What a sore Losser ho god

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles