Several dead in shootout in New Jersey shopping plaza: report

Oracle

(Reuters) - An early-morning shooting at a Pathmark supermarket in New Jersey has left at least three people dead, including the suspected gunman, a local television station said on Friday.

Shots were heard inside the Old Bridge supermarket just before 4 a.m. EDT as employees were preparing to open the store for business, said the local ABC affiliate.

Police found two windows bashed in, the station reported.

The incident comes just weeks after a series of mass shootings shook the country. In July, a gunman opened fire in a crowded Colorado movie theater and earlier this month a white supremacist opened fire in a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

(Reporting By Edith Honan; Editing by Vicki Allen)

Reuters

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
What's happening in US these days?. It seems all idiots are bent upon killing people for no reason.

Iamanidiot

The world economy in general will plummet further in the next 2-3 years

venkat

NJ has lot of Indians...Any Indian causalities?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
If only the victims had guns this could have been avoided!

aeroblogger

shootings are a common occurence in the US. If you go to any ghetto, you can find them with shocking frequency

I'm not sure what the logic is in choosing which shootings get publicized and which don't...

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The world economy in general will plummet further in the next 2-3 years
Actually I was reading Joel Stein's column in the Times in Jan of this year. The Maya(that's the correct term) predicted not the end of the world, but an era of social strife, famine, and wars.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Actually I was reading Joel Stein's column in the Times in Jan of this year. The Maya(that's the correct term) predicted not the end of the world, but an era of social strife, famine, and wars.
The world has always been in social strife, famine, and wars. Point me to one century which was lived in peace and harmony throughout the world.

Iamanidiot

The last 50 years are an abherration in history paaji.Now the 2007 meltdown literally evoparated money and their will be more wealth evoparation in the world

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I think what Americans need to realize is that they are living in the most powerful country in the world, with kick ass law enforcement agencies. Why do they still need guns ? esp assault rifles ?

average american

Matthew 7:3-5
New International Version (NIV)
3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

NEW DELHI: India has earned the dubious distinction of being the country where maximum number of murders takes place in the world, three times more than its neighbour Pakistan and double the figures in United States.

There were more than 50 lakh incidents of crime reported in 2007-08 which included murder, rape and drug offences, a government report said. There were 32,719 incidents of murder recorded in India, whereas there were 16,692 in the US and 9,631 in Pakistan, the report compiled by National Crime Records Bureau and released by the Union Home Ministry, said.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ Huh - there is a very obvious hole in this data - you forgot to take population into account. That way, Pakistan ranks worst and India ranks best among the three countries.

Normalize it to India's population and you have: around 70,000 per year in Pakistan, 64,000 in the US and 32,000 in India.

Anyway, the discussion here is more about gun control, and whether a society needs guns or not. Why is that upsetting you? :confused:

average american

^^ Huh - there is a very obvious hole in this data - you forgot to take population into account. That way, Pakistan ranks worst and India ranks best among the three countries.

Normalize it to India's population and you have: around 70,000 per year in Pakistan, 64,000 in the US and 32,000 in India.

Anyway, the discussion here is more about gun control, and whether a society needs guns or not. Why is that upsetting you? :confused:
Good point, its seems Indians seize any opportunity to criticise the USA. I am curious as to why. In the above case you had a deranged employee kill two other employees.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Good point, its seems Indians seize any opportunity to criticise the USA. I am curious as to why. In the above case you had a deranged employee kill two other employees.
Well, you're wrong about us "seizing any opportunity". Fact of the matter is, when an article is posted on an internet forum, people will debate and discuss it. If the article has negative connotations (such as murders, shootouts, rapes, etc.), there will be criticism. This is not limited to articles about the USA. Maybe you should read some of the negative articles on this forum about India and our own government, and the comments that follow. And anyway - "with malice towards one and all" - that is what you should expect on internet forums - no matter what the subject is, you will find some haters for everything.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles