Serb Air Force buys 6 new Mig 29 M/M2

p2prada

MINA Breaking News - Serb Air Force buys 6 new Mig 29 M/M2

The Serb airforce will add 6 new Mig 29 M/M2 fighter jets and two radar systems recently purchased from Russia.
Serb Defense Minister Aleksandar Vucik will iron out the details during his visit to Moscow in May.

The Mig 29 M/M2 were presented for the Serb air force back in June of last year. The Serbian Air Force applauded the purchase since the last time new fighter jets were acquired was 20 years ago.

gokussj9

Country flag
MINA Breaking News - Serb Air Force buys 6 new Mig 29 M/M2

The Serb airforce will add 6 new Mig 29 M/M2 fighter jets and two radar systems recently purchased from Russia.
Serb Defense Minister Aleksandar Vucik will iron out the details during his visit to Moscow in May.

The Mig 29 M/M2 were presented for the Serb air force back in June of last year. The Serbian Air Force applauded the purchase since the last time new fighter jets were acquired was 20 years ago.
Wasn't super duper Jf thunder taking part in the competition as well?:laugh:

p2prada

Yeah, but I don't know if the Serbs chose the Mig-29 outside of the competition or if Mig-29 won the competition.

Mig-29M/M2 is a less advanced version of the Mig-35.

The Russians may have provided soft loans.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Could be a seperate order since the other tender had not mig 29 in the list

p2prada

Could be a seperate order since the other tender had not mig 29 in the list
I am not sure if Serbia can afford two fighter deals at once. There may be a follow on order for more Mig-29s eventually.

Anyway, Mig-29M was in the invitation to the RFP. F-16, SH, Mig-29M/M2, Su-30, EF, Rafale, Gripen, J-10 and JF-17.

Out of all these, J-10, Gripen and SH did not enter.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I am not sure if Serbia can afford two fighter deals at once. There may be a follow on order for more Mig-29s
They really can't afford it. 6 new MiG-29 eats that budget.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
This most probably is a seperate order..since the tender didnt had mig 29 name at all

or else they dropped the older tender and just opted for mig 29 because of soft loan

In a separate occasion, Serbian Air Force Chief of Staff Brigadier General Ranko Zivak say, the Kemenhan Serbia will invite manufacturers from around the world plane to make an offer next year. Some Serb fighter who ogled among others Sukhoi Su-30 from Russia, the F-16 and F/A-18 from the U.S., Sweden's Gripen, Eurofighter Typhoon from the European consortium, the Rafale from France, and the JF-17 from China.

indian_sukhoi

Suprised how they even thought of managing a squadron of rafale with that limited budget.

No wonder MiG-29 are best bet, not to expensive and able match both air and ground attack requirements.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This most probably is a seperate order..since the tender didnt had mig 29 name at all

or else they dropped the older tender and just opted for mig 29 because of soft loan
Read your quoted post. JF-17 from China.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

There is no separate order. Their budget is blown as they are in austerity like the rest of Europe.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Suprised how they even thought of managing a squadron of rafale with that limited budget.

No wonder MiG-29 are best bet, not to expensive and able match both air and ground attack requirements.
They never had the money to buy Rafale. No one ever talked to Dassault about it much less sent them an RFI.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
As Serbia and Belarus buys Russian weapons on the Russian money (loans). This is a worldwide practice. It's amazing to have that for the Russian credit, Serbs would buy a Swedish or French aircraft.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Read your quoted post. JF-17 from China.
Read this as well.
Just 1 month old.
meanwhile Pakistan is negotiating with egypt for a much bigger order
"For international sales we have joint sales and marketing with our Chinese friends. It doesn't necessarily mean we all have to sit together on every meeting, but the Chinese side will always know what we are negotiating and we will always know what they are negotiating," noted the air commodore, adding that he saw co-operation on the programme between the two countries as being "exemplary".

Shirman

Country flag
As Serbia and Belarus buys Russian weapons on the Russian money (loans). This is a worldwide practice. It's amazing to have that for the Russian credit, Serbs would buy a Swedish or French aircraft.
exactly Ruskis would never allow Serbs for a direct competitor of their product in their "spear of Influence" also i doubt Egyptians will look good in JF-17s when their arch-rival Israelis zoom F-35s ......Reminds me of Syrian-Israel standoff of F-15 vs Mig-21/23 of '82........

Akim

Professional
Country flag
.Reminds me of Syrian-Israel standoff of F-15 vs Mig-21/23 of '82........
MiG-23 for the first time took part in the fighting in 1982, the Syrian-Israeli war and well-proven. The upgraded MiG-23MLD U1 can compete for some combat characteristics with 4th generation fighters. I could show the video, but it is in Russian, and translated a long time.

Austin

farhan Thanks for putting up the Janes Interview , Any recent interview on JF-17 from PAF if you could post would be nice.

Newer Mig-29 is a logical buy for Serbs as they use older Mig-29 version and there is logistics line training already established for it . Plus Russians must have sweeted the deal for them with Soft Credits etc

Austin

IF the Mig-23 video is translated in English can you post it up

Shirman

Country flag
MiG-23 for the first time took part in the fighting in 1982, the Syrian-Israeli war and well-proven. The upgraded MiG-23MLD U1 can compete for some combat characteristics with 4th generation fighters. I could show the video, but it is in Russian, and translated a long time.
Yeah i am not saying mig-23 is bad or something i read somewhere that czech mig-23s were successful against Nato f-16s, mirage-2000 and other aircraft but still as i remember it was the Syrian-Arab war of 1982 which really dawned the American teen series of fighters ie :- f-16, f-15, later f-18 and f-14s during the 1990 gulf war.........
Iranian pilots didn't extracted the maximum out of f-14s and f-4 as they should have during their wars with Iraq in the 80s..........

the related video :-

Last edited by a moderator:

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Yeah i am not saying mig-23 is bad or something i read somewhere that czech mig-23s were successful against Nato f-16s, mirage-2000 and other aircraft but still as i remember it was the Syrian-Arab war of 1982 which really dawned the American teen series of fighters ie :- f-16, f-15, later f-18 and f-14s during the 1990 gulf war.........
Iranian pilots didn't extracted the maximum out of f-14s and f-4 as they should have during their wars with Iraq in the 80s..........
I'll do a little later will sync translation the video on the modernization of Ukraine's MiG-23MLD and will create a new thread.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles