Sensational Sixth sense technology by Indian: Pranav Mistry

blade

SixthSense is a wearable gestural interface device that augments the physical world with digital information and lets people use natural hand gestures to interact with that information. It was developed by Pranav Mistry, a PhD student in the Fluid Interfaces Group at the MIT Media Lab.

The SixthSense prototype is comprised of a pocket projector, a mirror and a camera. The hardware components are coupled in a pendant-like mobile wearable device. Both the projector and the camera are connected to the mobile computing device in the user’s pocket. The device projects visual information, enabling surfaces, walls and physical objects around the wearer to be used as interfaces; while the camera recognizes and tracks the user's hand gestures and physical objects using computer-vision based techniques. The software program processes the video stream data captured by the camera and tracks the locations of the colored markers (visual tracking fiducials) at the tip of the user’s fingers using simple computer-vision techniques. The movements and arrangements of these fiducials are interpreted into gestures that act as interaction instructions for the projected application interfaces. The maximum number of tracked fingers is only constrained by the number of unique fiducials, thus SixthSense also supports multi-touch and multi-user interaction.

The SixthSense prototype implements several applications that demonstrate the usefulness, viability and flexibility of the system. The map application lets the user navigate a map displayed on a nearby surface using hand gestures, similar to gestures supported by multi-touch based systems, letting the user zoom in, zoom out or pan using intuitive hand movements. The drawing application lets the user draw on any surface by tracking the fingertip movements of the user’s index finger. SixthSense also recognizes user’s freehand gestures (postures). For example, it implements a gestural camera that takes photos of the scene the user is looking at by detecting the ‘framing’ gesture. The user can stop by any surface or wall and flick through the photos he/she has taken. SixthSense also lets the user draw icons or symbols in the air using the movement of the index finger and recognizes those symbols as interaction instructions. For example, drawing a magnifying glass symbol takes the user to the map application or drawing an ‘@’ symbol lets the user check his mail. The SixthSense system also augments physical objects the user is interacting with by projecting more information about these objects projected on them. For example, a newspaper can show live video news or dynamic information can be provided on a regular piece of paper. The gesture of drawing a circle on the user’s wrist projects an analog watch. The current prototype system costs approximate $350 to build.
Pranav Mistry: The thrilling potential of 'SixthSense' technology-TV-Economic Times

Emperor

No words........
He is really invincible,inclredible and whatever the best you can prefix/sufix.

And I liked his word,"I prefer taking this technology to masses rather than getting struck with labs".
Heil...

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
I heard this news some 2 days back but network restrictions prevented me to view the demo. I did this today, and my jaw dropped when I saw what he did. Can someone help me get his email Id. I will try to send him an email. I will search my own.

printf

simply an awesone piece of innovation. good to see that indians are capable of producing such novel devices.this guy has taken interfacing to an alltogether different level

StealthSniper

Guys I found another video on this amazing genius:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

And Roma I know what you are saying, and I hope this technology is used in India and not stolen and used by Western nations. Too much of our talent is being taken away by the West and it makes me sick.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Guys I found another video on this amazing genius:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

And Roma I know what you are saying, and I hope this technology is used in India and not stolen and used by Western nations. Too much of our talent is being taken away by the West and it makes me sick.
West doesnt steal our talent.The thing is that our talent is not recognized in india but west does recognize it and thus indian talent flourishes there.its a sad fact but indian talent can never flourish in india.

panduranghari

Bump. Please see the video.

Pranav Mistry is a PhD student in the Fluid Interfaces Group at MIT's Media Lab. Before his studies at MIT, he worked with Microsoft as a UX researcher; he's a graduate of IIT. Mistry is passionate about integrating the digital informational experience with our real-world interactions.
Some previous projects from Mistry's work at MIT includes intelligent sticky notes, Quickies, that can be searched and can send reminders; a pen that draws in 3D; and TaPuMa, a tangible public map that can act as Google of physical world. His research interests also include Gestural and Tangible Interaction, Ubiquitous Computing, AI, Machine Vision, Collective Intelligence and Robotics.

He is proud to be an Indian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles