Saudi will buy weapons from Russia in exchange for refusal of deliveries of S-300

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Saudi Arabia will buy weapons from Russia in exchange for refusal of deliveries С-300 to Iran

Saudi Arabia is ready to buy a large quantity of arms if Moscow will refuse deliveries of antiaircraft rocket complexes С-300 to Iran from Russia. About it as newspaper The Financial Times writes, has declared not named source in the diplomatic circles, familiar with details of negotiations between two countries.

The edition specifies, that it is a question of deliveries of the Russian arms to the sum from 2 billion dollars, and in the long term cost of this production can reach 7 billion dollars. Among arms which can buy in the long term Riyadh, The Financial Times names the advanced systems of antiaircraft defense С-400.

At the same time, as the newspaper of "Sheet" referring to a source close to a management by Ministry of Defence specifies, the first contracts can be concluded by Saudi Arabia already in the end of 2009. Since 2005 Moscow and Riyadh negotiate for deliveries of tanks T-90S, fighting machines of infantry BМP-3, helicopters Mi-35 and Ми-17, is antiaircraft-rocket complexes "Armour", " Beech М-2Э " and С-400.

In "Рособоронэкспорте" to the Russian edition have refused to make comments on a course of negotiations and their communication with deliveries С-300 to Iran, but the source in the defensive industry has informed "Sheets", that sale of these complexes to Teheran can be carried out in the deadlines as the property is practically ready to sending. Realization of these plans is detained under the instruction from above. If the contract will be excellent, С-300 will be redeemed and will act in the Russian army.

As the expert of the Center of the analysis of strategy and technologies Konstantin Makienko considers, coordination of the Saudi contract with deliveries С-300 to Iran is possible, as this country is able to use import of arms promotion of the interests by the countries-exporters. Nevertheless, the Russian systems of air defence ценны for Saudi Arabia as its air space is actually supervised by the American and British military advisers serving arms put from these countries.

Let's note, that on deliveries of antiaircraft rocket systems S-300 to Iran repeatedly informed various sources, however for today of official acknowledgement to it is not present. Pressure upon Russia on this question render the USA and a number of other states which are afraid, that Teheran can use modern systems of air defence for protection of the nuclear objects.

Russian-http://lenta.ru/news/2009/10/01/arabia/

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Why would Saudi bother about Russians sales to Iran? I know they are not the best of friends, but Saudis are not in any immediate threat from Iran and nor do I see a long term threat.

I think it might be a deal at the behest of the US in turn at the behest of Israel. Just my two paises.

ppgj

interesting. it is well known saudi-iran tussle for supremacy in the muslim world. is it 'cos they belong to different sects??

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes they are different in their beliefs. Saudis are Sunnis and Iran is Shia. But still there is no clear and present danger to SA from Iran.

bhramos

Country flag
hi small mistake its S-300 not c-300 or C-400?

bhramos

Country flag
interesting. it is well known saudi-iran tussle for supremacy in the muslim world. is it 'cos they belong to different sects??
they are fear of Iran's Islamic Revolution as these Iranians over threw their shah, if it is spread they will also overthrew the SA's king or Royal governments.
even in country of SA also their are some Minority shia's present,

ppgj

Yes they are different in their beliefs. Saudis are Sunnis and Iran is Shia. But still there is no clear and present danger to SA from Iran.
it has been seen in reports of saudi hand in shia persecution in pakistan. iran has a grouse against the saudis but is it serious enough i can't guess.

bhramos

Country flag
it has been seen in reports of saudi hand in shia persecution in pakistan. iran has a grouse against the saudis but is it serious enough i can't guess.
its definatly serious, even shia in POK asked for help against Pak.
do u know how serious Sunni-Shia conflicts takes place.
Iran-Iraq War is the best example for these type of conflicts.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
iran iraq war was not because of the difference in religious ideology. Both countries are shia majority.

It was the greed of Saddam that led to the war.

bhramos

Country flag
sorry my mistake.
after the Iranian revolution, Saddam killed whole village feared of Revolt.
this true ,do u accept.

bhramos

Country flag
even in Pak,most of the Shia mosques and Shia holly shrines destroyed with help of Taliban[ Sunni's] is also a part Shia-Sunni's conflict, am i correct.

Vladimir79

Professional
Selling S-400 to SKA... US would be scouring every piece of that machine. Why would SKA care about what we sell Iran? I read some silly report about them allowing Israel to overfly them for air strikes.

bhramos

Country flag
that's not a silly report its true. If Iran is N-Armed all most all Arab community will piss in their pants, I only heard S-400 was intrested by Turkey, IMO may be this is SA is ready to help Israel.
If Iran goes Nuke, first country to go to Nuke will be SA,
thats the bottom line.

Vladimir79

Professional
Let the US bomb them, the worst thing that can happen is let Israel do it. Much of the ME will be up in arms if Zios attack an Islamic state.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes Brahmos, there is a big shia sunni divide. But Iran is on paper and words at least more belligerent towards Israel than it is towards SA. I would understand if SA had sought to say put off a sale of advanced fighters or something. But to stop a sale of S 300s is something that doesnt make sense to me.

Just yesterday, there were reports of a secret visit by an Israeli minister to Russia to stop the sale of S-300. So there is a concerted effort to stop the sale.

bhramos

Country flag
yeah u r right yosuf,
even Israeli PM promised that Israel will not attack iran.

sob

Mod
Country flag
iran iraq war was not because of the difference in religious ideology. Both countries are shia majority.

It was the greed of Saddam that led to the war.
But yusuf another factor is that Saddam was a Sunni and was indirectly supported by the other Sunni Arab nations like Kuwait and KSA.

Iran for decades kept it's identity seperate from the Arab states while Iraq under Saddam during the later stages tried to poray an Arab image. Of late Iran has been trying to widen it's influence in the Mid East wether it is through Hezbollah, Hamas or Syria. If you see recent events at the OPEC it has been Iran which has been challenging many of the policies laid down by the Saudis, most importantly using US$ as the preffered currency to trade crude.

This story may or not be true but the fact remains that Iran and KSA are locked in a tussle over their position and influence over the Islamic world.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
sob,

The fact is not denied. There is a divide and there is a tussle for who is the leader of the muslim world.

But just looking at the context of this sale of S 300, and to go to the extent of offering to buy other weapons by SA to stop sale to Iran doesnt make sense to me. Just my conspiracy theory. How harmful is the sale of SAM to SA? Who at the moment badly wants to strike Iran and the S300s are a big danger for them?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles