Saudi will buy weapons from Russia in exchange for refusal of deliveries of S-300

Martian

Respected Member
But just looking at the context of this sale of S 300, and to go to the extent of offering to buy other weapons by SA to stop sale to Iran doesnt make sense to me. Just my conspiracy theory. How harmful is the sale of AAM to SA? Who at the moment badly wants to strike Iran and the S300s are a big danger for them?
I agree with Yusuf. KSA has no motive to pay billions of dollars to stop the sale of AAM from Russia to Iran. It is Israel, not KSA, that is threatening to bomb Iran. If Israel or the US wants to bomb Iran, it is their problem. KSA is not going to spend billions of dollars to save a few Israeli pilots' lives.

If America does the bombing, it will use stealth aircraft to negate the effectiveness of the S-300. Alternatively, the US may launch many Tomahawk cruise missiles at night. The lives of KSA pilots are not at risk to justify the spending of billions of dollars.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Saudis Eye Russian Air Defense System: Analysts

RIYADH - Saudi Arabia is weighing buying an advanced Russian missile system to shore up its defenses against a potentially nuclear Iran, Gulf analysts and diplomats said.

They said Moscow and Riyadh are close to sealing a deal on a multi-billion-dollar weapons package that could include Russia's advanced S-400 missile defense system.
It is the newest version of the S-300 long-range surface to air missile system that Moscow has reportedly been in discussion for several years to sell to Iran, which denies Western charges of aiming to become a nuclear power.

But heavy Western and Israeli pressure and a possibly more lucrative deal with Riyadh have persuaded Moscow not to make that sale to Tehran, diplomats in the Gulf said on condition of anonymity.

"The Saudis would rather this weapon system not be sold to Iran or Syria," another possible buyer, said Theodore Karasik, director of research at the Dubai-based Institute for Near East and Gulf Military Analysis.

The S-400 missile defense system could be a part of a much larger deal with Russia that would signify an important diversification of Saudi arms purchasing from its main suppliers: the United States, Britain and France.

On August 29, Russia's Interfax news agency said a two-billion-dollar arms package for the Saudis could include up to 150 helicopters - 30 Mi-35 attack helicopters and up to 120 Mi-17 transport helicopters - more than 150 T-90S tanks, 250 BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles and "several dozen" air defense systems.

Contracts for the sale of the tanks and the helicopters "could be signed as soon as this year," an unnamed source told Interfax.

Saudis Eye Russian Air Defense System: Analysts - Defense News

Martian

Respected Member
Don't you just hate it when you put up a logical post and someone responds with an article that makes you look foolish? Good article 1.44, I like the bold part.

By the way, I like your tagline: "He who laughs last thinks slowest!"

It took me a while before I had a good laugh.

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Don't you just hate it when you put up a logical post and someone responds with an article that makes you look foolish? Good article 1.44, I like the bold part.
The article is relevant to this thread instead of posting a new one.:)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Rohit, the article still just says they rather not have Iran not have the missiles. But the answer to my question why still remains unanswered. Are the Saudis planning an attack on Iran? I don't think so.

bhramos

Country flag
maybe KSA are indirectly helping to attack Iran,

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Indirectly means allowing overflight at the most. Even that has been ruled out in recent statements. But even that doesn't warrant a counter to stop the sale to Iran at the cost of their money.

Country flag
This is going to cause further tension between KSA and Iran , If Russia dosen't supply S-300 to Iran what will KSA do when China sells Iran HQ-9??

bhramos

Country flag
China will definatly sell HQ-9, they [China] clam HQ-9 is better than S-300 and bellow than S-400 in performance,

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Seriously, this is a piece of news thats so unbelievable that its a pure waste of time!

Yes, the Iranians dont have any close friends in the GCC, but you must know that when it comes to Israel and US, the general populance in these countries forget shia sunni divide, even if they are at their throats most of the time. They wouldnt want to antagonise their population anymore than they already are.

Okay you can say, I am being a bit naive with the above comment, But think of it this way, if the Russians give the Best stuff they have to the Saudis, then the Americans will surely snoop around. They will give the S400, but I doubt the system they will be a toned down version, and they ll make sure about the snoopings.

The Iranian S300 issue is a leverage Russia has with the West. They can threaten Israel and US with it. They wont give up that Leverage for a billion or two!

ahmedsid

Top Gun
China will definatly sell HQ-9, they HQ-9 is better than S-300 and bellow than S-400 in performance,
Dont make such ludicrious statements man! There is no reliable info on the HQ9 out there, other than its a mix of the Patriot and the S300.

The West Fears the S300, but I dont hear them making a sound about the HQ9.

Country flag
What will KSA do when chinese supply HQ-9 to Iran?? Chinese will have a second buyer after pakistan.

Country flag
Russia 'losing to China on Iran S-300 quest'

Russia 'losing to China on Iran S-300 quest'

Iran is reportedly seeking to buy a Chinese-made air defense system which is a variant of the Russian S-300.Press TV - In its quest for an advanced air defense system, Iran has reportedly shifted its hopes from Russia to China which owns a replica of the controversial Russian S-300.

As Iran's quest for the advanced Russian-made S-300 air defense system is believed to have hit rock bottom, a report by RIA Novosti said Tehran is eying a Chinese-made HQ-9 surface-to-air missile under the name FD-2000 -- recently put on the export market.

The HongQi-9/FD-2000 reportedly combines elements "borrowed" from Russia's S-300 and America's MIM-104 Patriot.

It uses elements of the Russian system's "solid rocket, aerodynamic layout, gas-dynamic spoilers, and launcher technologies, as well as some search and guidance systems."

The missile has a range of 7-125 kilometers for airborne targets -- a range much lower than the 150-kilometer range of the Russian S-300 PMU1.

The Chinese system's range for missile targets, or air-to-ground missiles, is 7-50 kilometers, with a firing altitude of 1-18 kilometers. Its range for cruise missiles is 7-15 kilometers, at a firing altitude of 0.025 kilometers.

The range for ballistic missiles is 7-25 kilometers at a firing altitude of 2-15 kilometers.

Iran has been negotiating a deal with Russia to obtain the sophisticated defense system since 2007. However, neither side has so far issued an official confirmation on the delivery of the S-300 to Iran.

Later media reports claimed that Russia's plan to turn a "new page" in its ties with the United States is likely to prompt Moscow to shelve the delivery of the S-300 system to Iran.

Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Mahdi Safari, however, said in April that the contract to buy Russia's S-300 advance missile system is still effective.

"There are no problems with this [S-300] contract," RIA Novosti quoted Safari as saying at the end of his visit to Moscow.

"After all, these are purely defensive weapons, and any country has the right to buy them. I believe this could only worry those states that have plans to attack others," he said.

Following an escalation in Israeli rhetoric, Iran has moved to upgrade its defenses and has reportedly opted to acquire the S-300 system -- which, according to Western experts, would rule out the possibility of an Israeli airstrike on Iranian nuclear sites.

"If Tehran obtained the S-300, it would be a game-changer in military thinking for tackling Iran," says long-time Pentagon advisor Dan Goure.

The S-300 surface-to-air missile system, which can track targets and fire at aircraft 120 km (75 miles) away, features high jamming immunity and is able to simultaneously engage up to 100 targets.

Iran's move to equip itself with the Chinese air defense system comes as an earlier report by the Jerusalem Post revealed that Israeli missile operators have begun weekly drills to hone their skills for a war on Iran.

According to the report, Israeli Air Force (IAF) reservists who operate the ballistic missile destroyer, the Arrow, and the surface-to-air missile, Patriot, have been called up by the Defense Ministry to spend one day a week on duty to prepare for a possible conflict with Iran.

The weekly military drills come on top of another report revealing that Israel is set to mobilize its army to hold the largest military exercise in its history on June 2.

One of the missions of the nationwide military drill is to psych up the public for the breaking out of war and to convince the people that in the event of a war the entire country could "become a front without warning".

Vladimir79

Professional
The China move is old news. That is dated last May. I would like to see Iran buy it. Then we can see what HQ-9 can finally do.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Israel will pay money to the Chinese to sell that knowing it clears their way to attack iran. Lol.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
China and Israel are much closer than we all can imagine. Dont forget, if it werent for the US, the Phalcon would be with China snooping down on us!!!

The Russians on the other hand, are playing this quite well.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
China and Israel are much closer than we all can imagine. Dont forget, if it werent for the US, the Phalcon would be with China snooping down on us!!!

The Russians on the other hand, are playing this quite well.
Off course they are. There wouldn't have been a J10 without them. Yes the chinese will deny that but that's another thing.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles