SAUDI ARABIA: Women threaten to breastfeed drivers if they aren't allowed to drive.

bhramos

Country flag
Many were stunned when Saudi cleric Sheik Abdel Mohsen Obeikan recently issued a fatwa, or Islamic ruling, calling on women to give breast milk to their male colleagues or men they come into regular contact with so as to avoid illicit mixing between the sexes. But a group of Saudi women has taken the controversial decree a step further in a new campaign to gain the right to drive in the ultra-conservative kingdom, media reports say.
If they're not granted the right to drive, the women are threatening to breastfeed their drivers to establish a symbolic maternal bond.
"Is this is all that is left to us to do: to give our breasts to the foreign drivers?"
a Saudi woman named Fatima Shammary was quoted as saying by Gulf News.

Obeikan argued in his decree that if the women give their drivers their breast milk, the chauffeurs would be able to mingle with all members of the family without having to worry about violating Islamic law. Some Islamic scholars frown on the mixing of unmarried men and women. Islamic tradition, or hadith, stipulates that breastfeeding establishes a maternal bond, even if a woman breastfeeds a child who is not her own. Drawing from the cleric's advocacy, the women have reportedly chosen a slogan for their campaign that translates to, "We either be allowed to drive or breastfeed foreigners."
The current driving ban applies to all women in Saudi Arabia, regardless of their nationality, and it's been a topic of heated public debate in recent years. The ban on driving was unofficial at first but was introduced as official legislation after 47 Saudi women drove cars through the streets of the Saudi capital, Riyadh, in 1990 in an attempt to challenge authorities.
The incident brought harsh consequences for the women, who were jailed for a day and had their passports confiscated. Many of them were said to have been forced to leave their jobs after the driving protest.
Still, every now and then, reports of Saudi women driving in defiance of the ban emerge in the media.
Two years ago, 125 women in Saudi Arabia signed a petition that called on the Saudi interior minister to lift the ban.
One of the Saudi female signatories, Wajeha Huwaider, posted a video of herself driving on YouTube in a direct appeal to the Saudi authorities to allow women to drive.
"For women to drive is not a political issue," Wajeha said as she sat behind the wheel. "It is not a religious issue. It is a social issue, and we know that many women of our society are capable of driving cars. We also know that many families will allow their women to drive."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2010/06/saudi-women-use-fatwa-in-driving-bid.html

a nice protest, atleast now will the king move the ban. or let the drivers get milk.!!!

bhramos

Country flag
I am planning to apply as a driver in Saudie Arabia.
Recruitment is open.
do forward your application with good looking pics.
special price for below 30 owners.
very special price for 20+ owners.
hurry up or else posts of drivers will finish.
=xD=xD=xD=xD=xD
=love offer dont miss it.
hahahhahahaha

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Just shows how these people can interpret Islam in anyway they want. God damn it, even a mothers own children dont see their mothers bosom once past feeding age and these self styled religious leaders want women to go around showing their breasts and feeding adults. Bull Shit.

bhramos

Country flag
Just shows how these people can interpret Islam in anyway they want. God damn it, even a mothers own children dont see their mothers bosom once past feeding age and these self styled religious leaders want women to go around showing their breasts and feeding adults. Bull Shit.
thats how i got shocked!
how could a Imam in Islam pass such a Fatwa?
i think Imam knows everything in Islam.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
thats how i got shocked!
how could a Imam in Islam pass such a Fatwa?
i think Imam knows everything in Islam.
"Imam", the word has a varied meaning in Islam. Imam in general is the one who leads the prayers. So if you were to lead a prayer, you would be Imam of that prayer. And you may not know much more about Islam than how to pray namaz.
Imam in Shia sect is sacred. He is the infallible and the one who actually knows everything about Islam as passed on by the Prophet(PBUH) as the Imam is the direct desendent of the Prophet (PBUH) by way of Imam Husain who is His grandchild.
In Sunni Sect, there are the first four Caliphs who lived with the Prophet (PBUH) and so should know a lot more about Islam. But then the succession after that is something i dont know about. Thats when everyone started to interpret Islam to their own liking.

bhramos

Country flag
"Imam", the word has a varied meaning in Islam. Imam in general is the one who leads the prayers. So if you were to lead a prayer, you would be Imam of that prayer. And you may not know much more about Islam than how to pray namaz.
Imam in Shia sect is sacred. He is the infallible and the one who actually knows everything about Islam as passed on by the Prophet(PBUH) as the Imam is the direct desendent of the Prophet (PBUH) by way of Imam Husain who is His grandchild.
In Sunni Sect, there are the first four Caliphs who lived with the Prophet (PBUH) and so should know a lot more about Islam. But then the succession after that is something i dont know about. Thats when everyone started to interpret Islam to their own liking.
well pardon, i didnt know exact meaning of Imam.
as i have read some articles where they said "Imam passed a Fatwa".
so i used that word.

johnee

Sheikh Al Obeikan, an adviser to the royal court and consultant to the Ministry of Justice, set off a firestorm of controversy recently when he said on TV that women who come into regular contact with men who aren't related to them ought to give them their breast milk so they will be considered relatives. Al Obeikan, who made the statement after being asked on TV about a 2007 fatwa issued by an Egyptian scholar, Dr. Izzat Attya who is the head of the department of Hadith in Al-Azhar, which is the world's most prestigious Islamic University about adult breast-feeding, said that the breast milk ought to be pumped out and given to men in a glass.
But his remarks were followed by an announcement by another high-profile sheik, Abi Ishaq Al Huwaini, who said that men should suckle the breast milk directly from a woman's breast.
The fatwa stems from the tenets of the strict Wahhabi version of Islam that governs modern Saudi Arabia and forbids women from mixing with men who are not relatives.

It all started when Dr. Izzat Attya who is the head of the department of Hadith in Al-Azhar, which is the world's most prestigious Islamic University, issued a fatwa, or religious opinion. The fatwa declared that, it is legitimate for a working Muslim woman to breast-feed her male colleague to avoid the sin of 'khulwa' (staying with a stranger in one room).

Similar fatwas had been issued in the past by many sheikhs in many Middle-Eastern countries, but this is the first time it comes from a high level academic of Al-Azhar.

A Modern Islamic problem, an old solution

The Problem: Dr. Attya noticed that Muslim women frequently work with men in the same offices, with the inevitable possibility that a woman may find herself sitting alone in the same room with one or more of her male colleagues, which, in Islam, is a grave sin. Some of these women are deeply religious, but they need to work. Both the state and the society are forcing these women to sin without doing anything about it.

Abu Huthayfa and his wife Sahla, had an adopted son (a freed slave) called Salim, who used to work and live in the house freely. As Salim was like a son to her, Sahla used to rely on him to help in the housework. She could stay with him in the same room without having to cover herself from his looks. When Muhammad cancelled the principle of adoption, Salim became a stranger in the house and could no longer be alone with Sahla, Abu Huthayfa's wife. The Lady complained to Muhammad who immediately provided her with a genius solution- he asked her to breast-feed Salim, after which she would again be allowed to keep him as a son with her in the house. She said: 'but Salim is a man and has a beard!' Muhammad smiled to her and said 'I know that'.

Muhammad's wife, Aysha, was very happy to hear the news because she also had problems in allowing men in her house. The new ruling came handy particularly after Muhammad's death because Aysha needed more flexibility in meeting and talking to men about Islam. Aysha was a strong advocate of this practice; she encouraged the daughters of her sisters and the daughters of her brethren to breast-feed those men whom she (Aysha) wished to allow in her home.

Dr. Attya's vision is that women are better off making use of this authorization given by Muhammad and breast-feed their male colleagues to avoid the sin of 'khulwa' (staying alone with a stranger).
Is breast-feeding of a man in Islam allowed?

prahladh

Respected Member
Sheikh Al Obeikan, an adviser to the royal court and consultant to the Ministry of Justice, set off a firestorm of controversy recently when he said on TV that women who come into regular contact with men who aren't related to them ought to give them their breast milk so they will be considered relatives.
Wow. When did this happen. I would suggest they go for simple solutions. Example, Rakhi festival, Tie a Rakhi ( Game Over ) and he is your brother.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Wow. When did this happen. I would suggest they go for simple solutions. Example, Rakhi festival, Tie a Rakhi ( Game Over ) and he is your brother.
Rest assured that the mullahs will issue a fatwa against it and send them for lashes saying its unislamic and that a "paraya" aadmi touched a woman.

johnee

They want islamic solutions, thats the catch.

I think the makers of Islam never intended the women to have much interaction with men, that explains the strict procedure.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

I think the makers of Islam never intended the women to have much interaction with men, that explains the strict procedure.
Wrong. Its those who wanted to tweak things around.

prahladh

Respected Member

Rest assured that the mullahs will issue a fatwa against it and send them for lashes saying its unislamic and that a "paraya" aadmi touched a woman.
Yes Yes. I dont want them to do something unislamic . It was just an example. Pointing that these issues can be solved in much simpler ways without having to drop your shirt off everytime you meet a new person.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
tweak??!! I think these are experts who simply interpret similar to SC interpretting constitution, no?
No mate. Islam is not like the constitution. Those who were taught by the Prophet (PBUH) knew best. Then it was left to the way people wanted to interpret.

johnee

Yes Yes. I dont want them to do something unislamic . It was just an example. Pointing that these issues can be solved in much simpler ways without having to drop your shirt off everytime you meet a new person.
Could you provide a simpler islamic solution that has been validated by Mohammad?

johnee

No mate. Islam is not like the constitution. Those who were taught by the Prophet (PBUH) knew best. Then it was left to the way people wanted to interpret.
Yusuf, as I understand, these imams come from wahhabi background hence their opinion/interpretation is different(harsher) from other versions. They just adhere strictly to every word said in quran/hadith. So, they are more conservative.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf, as I understand, these imams come from wahhabi background hence their opinion/interpretation is different(harsher) from other versions. They just adhere strictly to every word said in quran/hadith. So, they are more conservative.
I have given the explanation about Imams earlier. Sunnis have no Imams as such. Wahhabis have come to dominate because of Saudi Royal patronage.

johnee

I have given the explanation about Imams earlier. Sunnis have no Imams as such. Wahhabis have come to dominate because of Saudi Royal patronage.
I understand. Each version or sect have their differences. The point is whether wahhabis have accepted these fatwas which come from wahhabi school of thought. It seems some women are ready to put into practise...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If you read the article, the women are using this fatwa for all together different reasons.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles