Saudi Arabia Signs Agreement With Russia To Buy S-400 Air Defence System, Other Weapons

nimo_cn

Country flag
As America becomes a competitive global oil exporter. the foundation of Saudi Arabia-US alliance is being shaken by that competition. Even worse, it makes Russia and Saudi Arabia closer.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
As America becomes a competitive global oil exporter. the foundation of Saudi Arabia-US alliance is being shaken by that competition. Even worse, it makes Russia and Saudi Arabia closer.
Hey, that is "even worse" for us. Not for you. Its good for you. Actually, why are you here at DFI? Why are you not out there partying because of this news?

Saudis are buying THAAD and S-400? bit confusing. It is like rich kid buying every other new car without knowing to drive them. o_O

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-thaad-missiles-to-saudi-arabia-idUSKBN1CB2IN

http://saudigazette.com.sa/article/518820/SAUDI-ARABIA/Saudi-Arabia
Look at their Air Defence System, its no joke. They are fully networked and this network was created for them by the USA. This does look like what you are saying it looks like, but the real nature of this deal is geopolitical, as @nimo_cn mentioned.

Last edited:

MrPresident

Country flag
Hey, that is "even worse" for us. Not for you. Its good for you. Actually, why are you here at DFI? Why are you not out there partying because of this news?

Look at their Air Defence System, its no joke. They are fully networked and this network was created for them by the USA. This does look like what you are saying it looks like, but the real nature of this deal is geopolitical, as @nimo_cn mentioned.
Well if US has set up there air defense then they ll have to integrate S-400 with them and for that they will obviously need US again. something just doesnt sound right.

May be US approved when they got to know that S-400 deal is about to be signed.

SELVAM

Russians r desperate for money, their gdp is now 1.2 trillion usd which is less than half of Indias gdp

nimo_cn

Country flag
Well if US has set up there air defense then they ll have to integrate S-400 with them and for that they will obviously need US again. something just doesnt sound right.

May be US approved when they got to know that S-400 deal is about to be signed.
Saudi Arabia has the best weapons already. Buying Russian weapon is merely a message to Americans, don't mess up with my oil business, otherwise I will team up with Russia which also banks on oil business.

Oil production from America is driving down the global oil price, killing the economy of both Russia and Saudi Arabia, hence the two are teaming up.

Illusive

Country flag
Saudi Arabia has the best weapons already. Buying Russian weapon is merely a message to Americans, don't mess up with my oil business, otherwise I will team up with Russia which also banks on oil business.

Oil production from America is driving down the global oil price, killing the economy of both Russia and Saudi Arabia, hence the two are teaming up.
More like Russia eeking out whatever money left of SA. A decade down the line , Saudi Arabia is going to struggle. Unless of course China the saviour comes to rescue of another barbarious nation.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag

@nimo_cn the roots of the oil glut that we see today has its roots in the Saudi Iran rivalry let me take you for a little class
the time is December 2015 and the reintegration talks of iran in to the world order were starting to pickup steam
a matter that the Saudis didn't like at all so they started to overproduce and use the cartel to drive the prices down
not to be left behind the Iranians also rise their production driving the prices even more downward
I was in the UAE when this was happening and the news papers were full of opec meetings trying to brake the deadlock

but both riyad and theran stepped on the gas so to speak all at the expense of the oil based economy
I am one of the millions effected by the same
USA is a relatively recent player in the game and does not posses readly available oil pools
and besides if the US wants to mess Saudi they can just go for their non conventional oil reserves to meet their domestic needs

but coming back on the topic the Russian roullet that was been played by the arabs and Iranians threw the whole dynamics of the region to hell the iceing on the cake was the fact that the GCC Joint Military Command plunged head long in to the yemen conflict and it has only made the matters worse

the Oil field is only a small continuation of the intense arab iraian rivalry that has been on since ages

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
@nimo_cn the roots of the oil glut that we see today has its roots in the Saudi Iran rivalry let me take you for a little class
the time is December 2015 and the reintegration talks of iran in to the world order were starting to pickup steam
a matter that the Saudis didn't like at all so they started to overproduce and use the cartel to drive the prices down
not to be left behind the Iranians also rise their production driving the prices even more downward
I was in the UAE when this was happening and the news papers were full of opec meetings trying to brake the deadlock

but both riyad and theran stepped on the gas so to speak all at the expense of the oil based economy
I am one of the millions effected by the same
USA is a relatively recent player in the game and does not posses readly available oil pools
and besides if the US wants to mess Saudi they can just go for their non conventional oil reserves to meet their domestic needs

but coming back on the topic the Russian roullet that was been played by the arabs and Iranians threw the whole dynamics of the region to hell the iceing on the cake was the fact that the GCC Joint Military Command plunged head long in to the yemen conflict and it has only made the matters worse

the Oil field is only a small continuation of the intense arab iraian rivalry that has been on since ages
adding to the above

on one is teaming up here the GCC is a magma chamber waiting to explode you have a generation that knows nothing called hardship in their life they are nothing but state feed babies feed , clothed and educated with oil
I will give you an example

I went to the Gulf when I was just 6 months old with my parents and I remember a time in the UAE you could survive if you had just 3 UAEDs and there was nothing called tax forget tax even electricity and water was so cheap and petrol was just 1dh a liter
but now the situation has changed the UAE is the first country in the GCC to introduce taxes like the VAT and has now also placed a sin tax on tobacco products
there was a time when a decent 2BHK in Sharjah was rented out for Just 2000 UAED today 2000 is just pocket change
the dynamics of the Arab society is also changing so there is calls for more freedom in all of the GCC so far only Kuwait has some form of democracy
Saudi will have to adapt or perish so this is a signal to no one but a race to survives

prohumanity

Country flag

This is a smart assessment. Russia and Saudi Arabia can not emerge from bad economic situation if the oil prices remain where they are today . NATO wars in Middle East killed Oil Cartel and the capacity to raise oil prices as so many oil producing nations are desperate to sell their oil to jump start their dead economies.
On the other hand, America producing a lot of its own oil is killing oil markets even more.
The last nail in the oil coffin is going to be more and more alternate sources of energy such as solar, nuclear, hydro and wind.
Oil producing nations are going to remain in recession atleast for 10+ years or may be even longer..
Russia selling its weapons to any one ready to pay is because Russian Govt. knows that oil prices are not going to come back and only way to profit at present is to sell more and more weapons.

nimo_cn

Country flag
This is a smart assessment. Russia and Saudi Arabia can not emerge from bad economic situation if the oil prices remain where they are today . NATO wars in Middle East killed Oil Cartel and the capacity to raise oil prices as so many oil producing nations are desperate to sell their oil to jump start their dead economies.
On the other hand, America producing a lot of its own oil is killing oil markets even more.
The last nail in the oil coffin is going to be more and more alternate sources of energy such as solar, nuclear, hydro and wind.
Oil producing nations are going to remain in recession atleast for 10+ years or may be even longer..
Russia selling its weapons to any one ready to pay is because Russian Govt. knows that oil prices are not going to come back and only way to profit at present is to sell more and more weapons.
Marx once said something like "economic base determines the superstructure", international politics is another form of superstructure. I am surprised to see no indian member analyzing the issue from a economy perspective.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Marx once said something like "economic base determines the superstructure", international politics is another form of superstructure. I am surprised to see no indian member analyzing the issue from a economy perspective.
while I hate Marx and the half assed theory that he drew up and wish that bastard rot in the deepest pits of tatarus for all eternity I agree with @nimo_cn to only an extant but the point to note here is that Saudi is responsible for its own misery no one eles

MrPresident

Country flag

Dont u think thats a pretty expensive message? Jokes apart i cant fathom why would Russia side with Saudi when they can team up with Iran which is much bigger market for Russian arms comparatively.

Russian can easily sell Su-35s and T90s, remember Iran has one of the least advanced air force in the middle east and least advanced armored vehicles.

prohumanity

Country flag
Economic perspective is of course a very important factor. But wealth has to translate into power. West kept preaching Indians to believe in Gandhi and be non violent whereas West amassed a huge amount of weapons of all kinds. Gullible Indians like Nehru failed to see the reality. Military power matters even in this day and age but it requires money to be militarily strong.

India has finally realized that this country with all its democracy etc. will not be respected unless it has a formidable military and a range of very high tech weapons.

When India and China finally realize that War will destroy both nations..they will be left with no choice but to be friendly neighbors and do trade.

Pakistan is the real problems...it suffers from very low self esteem ...so its importance is to lick the ass of either US or China . Pakistan's will like keeping India and China as adversaries so it remains relevant.
But when two giants talk...pygmies have to shut their mouth.

India and China can coexist peacefully as both are ancient great civilization. Well. West might hate peace between India and China for obvious reasons.

I think both India and China should keep growing their military power and that will ensure peace between the two.

Yggdrasil

Country flag
India and China can coexist peacefully as both are ancient great civilization. Well. West might hate peace between India and China for obvious reasons.

I think both India and China should keep growing their military power and that will ensure peace between the two.
There will be no peace between China and any of its neighbours until the expansionist, revisionist, and militaristic CCP is in power. India needs to understand this in all of its dealings with China - until China breaks the lineage of Mao and goes back to being a civilised state.

Remember:

"China’s legendary revolutionary leader Mao Zedong, standing in front of Beijing’s Tiananmen Square in the 1950s, talked about Tibet and the Himalayas: “Xizang (Tibet) is China’s right hand’s palm, which is detached from its five fingers — of Ladakh, Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan and Arunachal (formerly NEFA). As all of these five are either occupied by, or under the influence of India, it is China’s responsibility to ‘liberate’ the five to be rejoined with Xizang (Tibet).”

China ultimately claims 2 sovereign countries and 3 Indian states as its own territory as dreamed up by Mao: all of its steps are to fulfull Mao's wishes and forcibly annex them. They will not admit it, but that is the grand plan, and India should never get fooled (neither should Nepal and Bhutan, but I guess they're also bad judges of character and poor students of history + blinded by the Renminbi across the border).

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Orbat of the Saudi Armed forces

Royal Saudi Land Forces

Armor

• 4th (King Khaled) Armoured Brigade
  • 6th (King Fah'd) Armoured Brigade
  • 7th (Prince Sultan)Armoured Brigade
  • 8th (King Fah'd)Armoured Brigade
  • 10th (King Faisal)Armoured Brigade
  • 12th (Khalid ibn al-Walid)Armoured Brigade
A typical Saudi armoured brigade has an armoured reconnaissance company, three tank battalions with 35 tanks each, a mechanized infantry battalion with AIFVs/APCs, and an artillery battalion with 18 self-propelled guns. It also has an army aviation company, an engineer company, a logistic battalion, a field workshop, and a medical company

Mechanized

• 11th Mechanized Brigade
  • 12th Mechanized Brigade
  • 13th Mechanized Brigade
  • 14th Mechanized Brigade
  • 20th Mechanized Brigade
A typical Saudi mechanized brigade has an armoured reconnaissance company, one tank battalion with 40 tanks, three mechanized infantry battalions with AIFVs/APCs, and an artillery battalion with 18 self-propelled guns. It also has an army aviation company, an engineer company, a logistic battalion, a field workshop, and a medical company. It has 24 anti-tank guided weapons launchers and four mortar sections with a total of eight 81 mm (3 in) mortars.[8]

Infantry

• 16th (King Saud) Light motorized infantry brigade
  • 17th (Abu Bakr Assiddeeq) Light motorized infantry brigade
  • 18th (King Abdullah) Light motorized infantry brigade
  • 19th (?Umar ibn Al-Khatt?b) Light motorized infantry brigade
Each infantry brigade consists of three motorized battalions, an artillery battalion, and a support battalion. Army brigades should not be confused with Saudi Arabian National Guard brigades.

Airborne

• The 1st Airborne Brigade
    • 4th Airborne Battalion
    • 5th Airborne Battalion
The Airborne Brigade is normally deployed near Tabuk. The Airborne Brigade has two parachute battalions and three Special Forces companies. Saudi Arabia is expanding its Special Forces and improving their equipment and training to help deal with the threat of terrorism. The Special Forces have been turned into independent fighting units to help deal with terrorists, and report directly to Prince Sultan.

Artillery Battalions

• five artillery battalions
    • 14th FA (Towed, 155) Battalion
    • 15th FA (MLRS) Battalion
    • 18th Missile (MLRS) Battalion
Aviation

• 1st Aviation Group
  • 2nd Aviation Group
  • 3rd Aviation Group
  • 4th Aviation Group
The separate Royal Guard Regiment consists of four light infantry battalions.

The Royal Saudi Air Force

The RSAF units are divided into Wings that are dispersed across the seven air bases:

• 1 Squadron (Royal Flight/BBJ&HS125)
  • 2 Squadron (F-15C And F-15D)
  • 3 Squadron (Eurofighter Typhoon)[8]
  • 4 Squadron (C-130)
  • 5 Squadron (F-15C And F-15D)
  • 6 Squadron (F-15S)
  • 7 Squadron (Tornado IDS)
  • 8 Squadron (The Mushshak)
  • 9 Squadron (PC-9)
  • 10 Squadron (Eurofighter Typhoon)[8]
  • 11 Squadron (Royal Flight/G-IV&CE550)
  • 12 Squadron (Bell 212)
  • 13 Squadron (F-15C And F-15D)
  • 14 Squadron (Helicopters)
  • 15 Squadron (OUT SERVICE)
  • 16 Squadron (C-130)
  • 18 Squadron (E-3/KE-3A)
  • 19 Squadron (RE-3A)
  • 21 Squadron (BAE Hawk)
  • 22 Squadron (PC-9)
  • 24 Squadron (A330 MRTT)[9]
  • 25 Squadron (Bell 412)
  • 29 Squadron (Tornado ADV to be replaced with the F-15SA)
  • 30 Squadron (Helicopters)
  • 32 Squadron (KC-130H And KC-130J)
  • 33 Squadron (Royal Medical Flight)
  • 34 Squadron (F-15C And F-15D)
  • 35 Squadron (Jetstream)
  • 37 Squadron (BAE HAWK)
  • 42 Squadron (F-15C AND F-15D)
  • 44 Squadron (Bell 412)
  • 55 Squadron (F-15S)
  • 66 Squadron (Tornado IDS)
  • 75 Squadron (Tornado IDS)
  • 79 Squadron (BAE Hawk)
  • 80 Squadron (Eurofighter Typhoon)[10]
  • 83 Squadron (Tornado IDS)
  • 88 Squadron (Hawk)
  • 92 Squadron (F-15S)[9]
  • 99 Squadron (Cougar)
Royal Saudi Naval Forces

• Jeddah – Red Sea base home to the navy's Western fleet for frigates and 2 missile boats, 1 replenishing ship and 1 patrol minesweeper; located north of the King Faisal Naval Base air station and south of the container port area
  • Jubail – Persian Gulf base is home to the navy's Eastern fleet; smaller base home to corvettes, replenishing ship remaining missile boats and minesweepers
  • Dammam – Persian Gulf home port for the Saudi Royal family's two Royal Yachts
Three Al Riyadh-class frigates are modified versions of the La Fayette-class frigate (built by DCN, Lorient). Each has a fully loaded displacement of 4,725 tons, and is armed with eight MBDA Exocet MM40 Block II surface-to-surface missiles (SSM), two eight-cell Sylver vertical launch systems for the Eurosam (MBDA and Thales) Aster 15 surface-to-air missile (SAM), an Oto Melara 76 mm/62 Super Rapid gun, and four 533 mm aft torpedo tubes. The ships are armed with the DCNS F17 heavyweight anti-submarine torpedo. The helicopter deck at the stern has a single landing spot for a medium size helicopter, such as the Eurocopter AS 365 Dauphin or the larger AS 532 Cougar or NH90 helicopters.

• 812 Al Riyadh (2002)
  • 814 Makkah (2003)
  • 816 Dammam (2004)
Four Al Madinah-class frigates based in the Red Sea, built in France (Arsenal de Marine, Lorient (French Government Dockyard and CNIM, La Seyne) in the mid-1980s. Their full load displacement is 2,610 tons and they are armed with eight Otomat surface-to-surface missiles, one 8-cell Crotale surface-to-air missile launcher (26 missiles total), one 100 mm/44 dual purpose gun, two 40 mm anti-aircraft guns, four torpedo tubes, an aft helicopter deck and hangar; one Dauphin helicopter.

• 702 Al Madinah (1985)
  • 704 Hofouf (1985)
  • 706 Abha (1986)
  • 708 Taif (1986)
It was believed the Saudis intended to order two new British-built Type 45 destroyers,[13] however production of the destroyers came to an end with no order made. Another destroyer that the Saudis are considering is the American built Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, having been briefed by the US Navy in May 2011 on the acquisition of two destroyers in a package that also includes an unknown number of Littoral Combat Ships.[14]

Corvettes[edit]
4 Badr-class corvettes built in the United States in 1981–83, based in the Persian Gulf, full load displacement of 1,038 tons, armament of eight Harpoon SSM, one 76 mm OTO Melara DP gun, one 20 mm Phalanx CIWS, two 20 mm guns, one 81 mm mortar, two 40 mm grenade launchers, two triple 12.75 inch torpedo tubes

• 612 Badr (1981)
  • 614 Al-Yarmook (1982)
  • 616 Hitteen (1982)
  • 618 Tabuk (1983)
Patrol boats

Missile patrol boat Oqbah (525)

The gunboat Faisal
9 Al Sadiq-class patrol boats built in the United States (Peterson Builders, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin) 1972–1980, full load displacement of 495 tons, armed with four Harpoon SSM, one 76 mm OTO gun, one 20 mm Phalanx CIWS, two 20 mm guns, one 81 mm mortar, two 40 mm grenade launchers, two triple 12.75 inch torpedo tubes

• 511 As-Siddiq (الصّدّيق) (1980)
  • 513 Al-Farouq (1981) (الفاروق)
  • 515 Abdul-Aziz (1981)
  • 517 Faisal (1981)
  • 519 Khalid (1982)
  • 521 Amr (1982)
  • 523 Tariq (1982)
  • 525 Ouqbah (1982) (عُقبه)
  • 527 Abu Obaidah (1982) (أبو عُبيده)
  • Possible sale of 30 Mark V Special Operations Craft[15]
Minesweepers
3 Sandown-class minehunters (built by Vosper Thornycroft, Woolston), full load displacement of 480 tons:

• 420 Al Jawf (1991)
  • 422 Shaqra (1993)
  • 424 Al Kharj (1994)
Support vessels[edit]
2 French built Boraida-class replenishment oilers (modified Durance-class replenishment ships built by CN la Ciotat, Marseilles), with a helicopter deck aft and hangars for 2 helicopters.

• 902 Boraida (1984)
  • 904 Yunbou (1985)
Others
Many smaller patrol craft, two Danish-built royal yachts

• Prince Abdul Aziz (1983–84) – built by Helsingør Værft
  • Al Yamana (Built for Iraq 1981; entered service in Saudi Arabia in 1988)
The Royal Saudi Air Defence (RSADF)

• Remote-controlled air/ground radio communications sites.
Royal Saudi Strategic Missile Force

In total [10] RSSMF operates 4 (probably 5) bases:

1. The Strategic Missile Force has a modern underground ballistic missile base with number 544 which was built in 2008 - the Al-Watah ballistic missile base (discovered with the help of satellite images)[11] - in the rocky central part of Saudi Arabia, some 200 km southwest of the capital city of Riyadh. The base has a security perimeter with a checkpoint on the main road, as well as extensive storage and underground facilities. It also includes administrative buildings, two launch pads, a communications tower and seven gates leading to the underground facilities. Fortified depots for launchers lie behind the secondary checkpoint in the ravine area.

2. One more partially underground base Rawdah (Raniyya) under the number 533 lies 550 km south-west from the capital and 23 km south of city Ranyah as it stated.[10] Tunnel across the rocky ridge has two entrances which have coordinates (21°3'33"N 42°53'2"E) and (21°3'16"N 42°52'52"E), base itself: 21°2′59.3″N 42°52′36.8″E. At the

WikiMiniAtlas
21°2.42′N 42°52.43′E / 21.04033°N 42.87383°E / 21.04033; 42.87383 one can clearly see old Chinese missiles DF-3 (probably for training).

Two older bases have similar characteristics, suggesting that they share the same role. Each complex has two missile garrisons (one in the North and another in the South) with another area serving housing, maintenance and administrative functions. The garrisons themselves are located a short distance away within a secured complex. The administrative and support complexes are outside the security perimeter:

3. It is the oldest (from 1988) Al Sulayyil ballistic missile base[12][13] with number 522 is also known as Wadi ad-Dawasir. Al Sulayyil base was built by the Chinese and lies approximately 450 km southwest of the capital.

4. Al Jufayr (Al Hariq) base with number 511 lies approximately 70–90 km south of Riyadh.[10] The Google photos of the area were blured before 2014. Now one can see communication tower on the hill near the road (24°1'52"N 46°18'39"E). The asphalted road goes from (23°59′36.1″N 46°15′04.1″E) and continue into nothing at (23°56′27.7″N 46°10′58.4″E), but nearby one can see places for erector-launchers (

WikiMiniAtlas
23°55.29′N 46°11.37′E / 23.92150°N 46.18950°E / 23.92150; 46.18950).

5. The last unconfirmed base Ash Shamli under the number 566, probably lies in the desert (27°15'49"N 40°03'14"E or 27°39'52"N 40°14'14"E) roughly 750 km north-west of the Saudi capital.

The Saudi Arabian National Guard Forces

The eight SANG brigades include:

• Imam Muhammad bin Saud Mechanized Brigade (IMBSMB)
  • Prince Saad Abdulrahman Mechanized Brigade (PSARMB)
  • Prince Turki bin Abdulaziz Mechanized Brigade (PTAMB) was formed by 2006 and equipped with LAV series of tactical vehicles
  • King Khalid Light Infantry Brigade’s strength is unknown
  • King Abdulaziz Mechanized Brigade (KAAMB), was formed by 2006 and then equipped with obsolescent Cadillac-Gage V-150 vehicles, slated to be replaced by the more-capable LAV series of tactical vehicles
  • Prince Mohammad bin Abdulrahman al-Saud Light Infantry Brigade
  • One light infantry brigade based in Jeddah
  • One light infantry brigade based in Medina
  • Omar bin Kattab light infantry brigade based in al-Taif

credits Wikipedia

Compersion

Country flag
why would saudi have suddenly overtures to russia and india

this is not the saudi it is someone else driving the saudi wheel.

fascinating.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
why would saudi have suddenly overtures to russia and india
two things
  • trump is asking them some tough questions
  • they are miffed with Pakistan's non support in the Yemeni issue

Willy2

Orbat of the Saudi Armed forces

Royal Saudi Land Forces

Armor

• 4th (King Khaled) Armoured Brigade
  • 6th (King Fah'd) Armoured Brigade
  • 7th (Prince Sultan)Armoured Brigade
  • 8th (King Fah'd)Armoured Brigade
  • 10th (King Faisal)Armoured Brigade
  • 12th (Khalid ibn al-Walid)Armoured Brigade
A typical Saudi armoured brigade has an armoured reconnaissance company, three tank battalions with 35 tanks each, a mechanized infantry battalion with AIFVs/APCs, and an artillery battalion with 18 self-propelled guns. It also has an army aviation company, an engineer company, a logistic battalion, a field workshop, and a medical company

Mechanized

• 11th Mechanized Brigade
  • 12th Mechanized Brigade
  • 13th Mechanized Brigade
  • 14th Mechanized Brigade
  • 20th Mechanized Brigade
A typical Saudi mechanized brigade has an armoured reconnaissance company, one tank battalion with 40 tanks, three mechanized infantry battalions with AIFVs/APCs, and an artillery battalion with 18 self-propelled guns. It also has an army aviation company, an engineer company, a logistic battalion, a field workshop, and a medical company. It has 24 anti-tank guided weapons launchers and four mortar sections with a total of eight 81 mm (3 in) mortars.[8]

Infantry

• 16th (King Saud) Light motorized infantry brigade
  • 17th (Abu Bakr Assiddeeq) Light motorized infantry brigade
  • 18th (King Abdullah) Light motorized infantry brigade
  • 19th (?Umar ibn Al-Khatt?b) Light motorized infantry brigade
Each infantry brigade consists of three motorized battalions, an artillery battalion, and a support battalion. Army brigades should not be confused with Saudi Arabian National Guard brigades.

Airborne

• The 1st Airborne Brigade
    • 4th Airborne Battalion
    • 5th Airborne Battalion
The Airborne Brigade is normally deployed near Tabuk. The Airborne Brigade has two parachute battalions and three Special Forces companies. Saudi Arabia is expanding its Special Forces and improving their equipment and training to help deal with the threat of terrorism. The Special Forces have been turned into independent fighting units to help deal with terrorists, and report directly to Prince Sultan.

Artillery Battalions

• five artillery battalions
    • 14th FA (Towed, 155) Battalion
    • 15th FA (MLRS) Battalion
    • 18th Missile (MLRS) Battalion
Aviation

• 1st Aviation Group
  • 2nd Aviation Group
  • 3rd Aviation Group
  • 4th Aviation Group
The separate Royal Guard Regiment consists of four light infantry battalions.

The Royal Saudi Air Force

The RSAF units are divided into Wings that are dispersed across the seven air bases:

• 1 Squadron (Royal Flight/BBJ&HS125)
  • 2 Squadron (F-15C And F-15D)
  • 3 Squadron (Eurofighter Typhoon)[8]
  • 4 Squadron (C-130)
  • 5 Squadron (F-15C And F-15D)
  • 6 Squadron (F-15S)
  • 7 Squadron (Tornado IDS)
  • 8 Squadron (The Mushshak)
  • 9 Squadron (PC-9)
  • 10 Squadron (Eurofighter Typhoon)[8]
  • 11 Squadron (Royal Flight/G-IV&CE550)
  • 12 Squadron (Bell 212)
  • 13 Squadron (F-15C And F-15D)
  • 14 Squadron (Helicopters)
  • 15 Squadron (OUT SERVICE)
  • 16 Squadron (C-130)
  • 18 Squadron (E-3/KE-3A)
  • 19 Squadron (RE-3A)
  • 21 Squadron (BAE Hawk)
  • 22 Squadron (PC-9)
  • 24 Squadron (A330 MRTT)[9]
  • 25 Squadron (Bell 412)
  • 29 Squadron (Tornado ADV to be replaced with the F-15SA)
  • 30 Squadron (Helicopters)
  • 32 Squadron (KC-130H And KC-130J)
  • 33 Squadron (Royal Medical Flight)
  • 34 Squadron (F-15C And F-15D)
  • 35 Squadron (Jetstream)
  • 37 Squadron (BAE HAWK)
  • 42 Squadron (F-15C AND F-15D)
  • 44 Squadron (Bell 412)
  • 55 Squadron (F-15S)
  • 66 Squadron (Tornado IDS)
  • 75 Squadron (Tornado IDS)
  • 79 Squadron (BAE Hawk)
  • 80 Squadron (Eurofighter Typhoon)[10]
  • 83 Squadron (Tornado IDS)
  • 88 Squadron (Hawk)
  • 92 Squadron (F-15S)[9]
  • 99 Squadron (Cougar)
Royal Saudi Naval Forces

• Jeddah – Red Sea base home to the navy's Western fleet for frigates and 2 missile boats, 1 replenishing ship and 1 patrol minesweeper; located north of the King Faisal Naval Base air station and south of the container port area
  • Jubail – Persian Gulf base is home to the navy's Eastern fleet; smaller base home to corvettes, replenishing ship remaining missile boats and minesweepers
  • Dammam – Persian Gulf home port for the Saudi Royal family's two Royal Yachts
Three Al Riyadh-class frigates are modified versions of the La Fayette-class frigate (built by DCN, Lorient). Each has a fully loaded displacement of 4,725 tons, and is armed with eight MBDA Exocet MM40 Block II surface-to-surface missiles (SSM), two eight-cell Sylver vertical launch systems for the Eurosam (MBDA and Thales) Aster 15 surface-to-air missile (SAM), an Oto Melara 76 mm/62 Super Rapid gun, and four 533 mm aft torpedo tubes. The ships are armed with the DCNS F17 heavyweight anti-submarine torpedo. The helicopter deck at the stern has a single landing spot for a medium size helicopter, such as the Eurocopter AS 365 Dauphin or the larger AS 532 Cougar or NH90 helicopters.

• 812 Al Riyadh (2002)
  • 814 Makkah (2003)
  • 816 Dammam (2004)
Four Al Madinah-class frigates based in the Red Sea, built in France (Arsenal de Marine, Lorient (French Government Dockyard and CNIM, La Seyne) in the mid-1980s. Their full load displacement is 2,610 tons and they are armed with eight Otomat surface-to-surface missiles, one 8-cell Crotale surface-to-air missile launcher (26 missiles total), one 100 mm/44 dual purpose gun, two 40 mm anti-aircraft guns, four torpedo tubes, an aft helicopter deck and hangar; one Dauphin helicopter.

• 702 Al Madinah (1985)
  • 704 Hofouf (1985)
  • 706 Abha (1986)
  • 708 Taif (1986)
It was believed the Saudis intended to order two new British-built Type 45 destroyers,[13] however production of the destroyers came to an end with no order made. Another destroyer that the Saudis are considering is the American built Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, having been briefed by the US Navy in May 2011 on the acquisition of two destroyers in a package that also includes an unknown number of Littoral Combat Ships.[14]

Corvettes[edit]
4 Badr-class corvettes built in the United States in 1981–83, based in the Persian Gulf, full load displacement of 1,038 tons, armament of eight Harpoon SSM, one 76 mm OTO Melara DP gun, one 20 mm Phalanx CIWS, two 20 mm guns, one 81 mm mortar, two 40 mm grenade launchers, two triple 12.75 inch torpedo tubes

• 612 Badr (1981)
  • 614 Al-Yarmook (1982)
  • 616 Hitteen (1982)
  • 618 Tabuk (1983)
Patrol boats

Missile patrol boat Oqbah (525)

The gunboat Faisal
9 Al Sadiq-class patrol boats built in the United States (Peterson Builders, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin) 1972–1980, full load displacement of 495 tons, armed with four Harpoon SSM, one 76 mm OTO gun, one 20 mm Phalanx CIWS, two 20 mm guns, one 81 mm mortar, two 40 mm grenade launchers, two triple 12.75 inch torpedo tubes

• 511 As-Siddiq (الصّدّيق) (1980)
  • 513 Al-Farouq (1981) (الفاروق)
  • 515 Abdul-Aziz (1981)
  • 517 Faisal (1981)
  • 519 Khalid (1982)
  • 521 Amr (1982)
  • 523 Tariq (1982)
  • 525 Ouqbah (1982) (عُقبه)
  • 527 Abu Obaidah (1982) (أبو عُبيده)
  • Possible sale of 30 Mark V Special Operations Craft[15]
Minesweepers
3 Sandown-class minehunters (built by Vosper Thornycroft, Woolston), full load displacement of 480 tons:

• 420 Al Jawf (1991)
  • 422 Shaqra (1993)
  • 424 Al Kharj (1994)
Support vessels[edit]
2 French built Boraida-class replenishment oilers (modified Durance-class replenishment ships built by CN la Ciotat, Marseilles), with a helicopter deck aft and hangars for 2 helicopters.

• 902 Boraida (1984)
  • 904 Yunbou (1985)
Others
Many smaller patrol craft, two Danish-built royal yachts

• Prince Abdul Aziz (1983–84) – built by Helsingør Værft
  • Al Yamana (Built for Iraq 1981; entered service in Saudi Arabia in 1988)
The Royal Saudi Air Defence (RSADF)

• Remote-controlled air/ground radio communications sites.
Royal Saudi Strategic Missile Force

In total [10] RSSMF operates 4 (probably 5) bases:

1. The Strategic Missile Force has a modern underground ballistic missile base with number 544 which was built in 2008 - the Al-Watah ballistic missile base (discovered with the help of satellite images)[11] - in the rocky central part of Saudi Arabia, some 200 km southwest of the capital city of Riyadh. The base has a security perimeter with a checkpoint on the main road, as well as extensive storage and underground facilities. It also includes administrative buildings, two launch pads, a communications tower and seven gates leading to the underground facilities. Fortified depots for launchers lie behind the secondary checkpoint in the ravine area.

2. One more partially underground base Rawdah (Raniyya) under the number 533 lies 550 km south-west from the capital and 23 km south of city Ranyah as it stated.[10] Tunnel across the rocky ridge has two entrances which have coordinates (21°3'33"N 42°53'2"E) and (21°3'16"N 42°52'52"E), base itself: 21°2′59.3″N 42°52′36.8″E. At the

WikiMiniAtlas
21°2.42′N 42°52.43′E / 21.04033°N 42.87383°E / 21.04033; 42.87383 one can clearly see old Chinese missiles DF-3 (probably for training).

Two older bases have similar characteristics, suggesting that they share the same role. Each complex has two missile garrisons (one in the North and another in the South) with another area serving housing, maintenance and administrative functions. The garrisons themselves are located a short distance away within a secured complex. The administrative and support complexes are outside the security perimeter:

3. It is the oldest (from 1988) Al Sulayyil ballistic missile base[12][13] with number 522 is also known as Wadi ad-Dawasir. Al Sulayyil base was built by the Chinese and lies approximately 450 km southwest of the capital.

4. Al Jufayr (Al Hariq) base with number 511 lies approximately 70–90 km south of Riyadh.[10] The Google photos of the area were blured before 2014. Now one can see communication tower on the hill near the road (24°1'52"N 46°18'39"E). The asphalted road goes from (23°59′36.1″N 46°15′04.1″E) and continue into nothing at (23°56′27.7″N 46°10′58.4″E), but nearby one can see places for erector-launchers (

WikiMiniAtlas
23°55.29′N 46°11.37′E / 23.92150°N 46.18950°E / 23.92150; 46.18950).

5. The last unconfirmed base Ash Shamli under the number 566, probably lies in the desert (27°15'49"N 40°03'14"E or 27°39'52"N 40°14'14"E) roughly 750 km north-west of the Saudi capital.

The Saudi Arabian National Guard Forces

The eight SANG brigades include:

• Imam Muhammad bin Saud Mechanized Brigade (IMBSMB)
  • Prince Saad Abdulrahman Mechanized Brigade (PSARMB)
  • Prince Turki bin Abdulaziz Mechanized Brigade (PTAMB) was formed by 2006 and equipped with LAV series of tactical vehicles
  • King Khalid Light Infantry Brigade’s strength is unknown
  • King Abdulaziz Mechanized Brigade (KAAMB), was formed by 2006 and then equipped with obsolescent Cadillac-Gage V-150 vehicles, slated to be replaced by the more-capable LAV series of tactical vehicles
  • Prince Mohammad bin Abdulrahman al-Saud Light Infantry Brigade
  • One light infantry brigade based in Jeddah
  • One light infantry brigade based in Medina
  • Omar bin Kattab light infantry brigade based in al-Taif

credits Wikipedia
What do u want to point out here ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles