Sarkozy assures PM no ban on Sikh turbans

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Sarkozy assures PM no ban on Sikh turbans​

SHARM-EL-SHEIKH (Egypt): French President Nicolas Sarkozy has assured Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that there is no ban on Sikhs wearing
turbans in his country.

Sarkozy's assurance came after Manmohan Singh handed over to him a 'non-official' memo two days ago in Paris, official sources said here on Thursday.

France is considering a bill to ban wearing of any religious symbols in the state schools.

The country's 6,000-strong Sikh community in France has been up in arms against the proposed legislation, saying that the turban is not a religious symbol but an integral part of their life.

Sarkozy assures PM no ban on Sikh turbans - Indians Abroad - World - NEWS - The Times of India

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Good news but now US is considering a bill to ban turbans.

What the hell,does the west have a secret 'let's ban the turban club' or something?

Fighter

Turbans should not be banned.
I hope us would not ban turbans as well

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Honestly, if Sikhs feel that their turbans are so necessary, they're welcome to them, but I cannot imagine going through life with a 6 foot long piece of cloth always tied to my never-cut hair and head. No offense to the Sikh religion, but this turban thing seems quite silly in this day and age.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Blow to Sikhs: European court upholds French turban ban
I P Singh, TNN 18 July 2009, 04:03am IST

JALANDHAR: In a major blow to Sikhs in Europe, European Court of Human Rights has upheld French ban on turban by dismissing the first petition filed against it. France had passed a law in 2004, prohibiting religious symbols in schools.

The judgment, which came close on the heels of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh raising the issue with French president Nicolas Sarkozy, was communicated to the lawyers of NGO United Sikhs, who had filed the petition on behalf of Jasvir Singh, on Thursday. It does not require France to respond to Jasvir's legal arguments.

Last December, the NGO had filed another petition before the United Nations Human Rights Committee on behalf of Bikramjit Singh, who was expelled from school along with Jasvir Singh when they refused to remove their turbans. France has filed a response to Bikramjit's claim.

Blow to Sikhs: European court upholds French turban ban - India - NEWS - The Times of India

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Honestly, if Sikhs feel that their turbans are so necessary, they're welcome to them, but I cannot imagine going through life with a 6 foot long piece of cloth always tied to my never-cut hair and head. No offense to the Sikh religion, but this turban thing seems quite silly in this day and age.
Been to villages of North India and Pakistan ? Most menfolk wear turbans !

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If in India, blue collar workers can wear baseball caps with the peak turned to the rear (never understood why), what is wrong with Turbans?

It helps the textile industry in these days of recession!

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
just try to grow bit beard and long hairs, wear a turban(ask any Sikh friend to help) go out side for a walk, feel the difference and tell us here.
i have done this twice and i must tell you i was walking with proud, my shoulders were automatically stretched, i felt myself more responsible and well behaved:wink:, that was dammmm cool man..i was feeling like a king.
:)

S.A.T.A

How is Sarkozy going to reconcile his determination to ban the veil and this assurance to allow Sikh turban.....Mr Bruni is on a sticky wicket here :)

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Can't talk business with a Sikh when you're playing 'turban ban'

leonblack08

Respected Member
What's West's problem with Turban,Tupi and Beard?Just because they don't wear them,so these becomes inferior or a "threat"?

S.A.T.A

The proposed ban is not entirely unique in the French legal system,whose constitution maintains a very strict separation between the state and the church.For along time now French laws forbid wearing of conspicuous religious symbols,at certain places like courts,schools,govt offices,which violate the notion of religious neutrality.

This not something new,it probably exists from the days of the revolution,however there have been debates in the recent years as to what would constitute conspicuous religious symbols.for eg in schools individuals may wear a cross or any religious ornaments(as long as it was not conspicuous)but where forbidden from wearing scull caps or priests collar or high profile religious symbols (which were conspicuous)

The controversy really is whether the Islamic Hejab or a head scarf would constitute a conspicuous religious symbols or just an apparel

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles