- Mar 21, 2009
Last edited by a moderator:
Famous Quotations of Sam Manekshaw
- On the military knowledge of politicians: "I wonder whether those of our political masters who have been put in charge of the defence of the country can distinguish a mortar from a motor; a gun from a howitzer; a guerrilla from a gorilla, although a great many resemble the latter."
- On being asked by Indira Gandhi if he was ready to fight on the eve of the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971: "I am always ready, sweetie."
- On being placed in command of the retreating 4 Corps during the Sino-Indian War of 1962: "There will be no withdrawal without written orders and these orders shall never be issued."
- About the Gurkha: "If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha."
- To a surgeon who was going to give up on his bullet-riddled body who asked him what had happened and got the reply, "I was kicked by a donkey." A joker at such a time, the surgeon reckoned, had a chance.
Great men always respect their adversaries... That respect allows them to be more prepared...
|Thread starter||Similar threads||Forum||Replies||Date|
|Sam Manekshaw: The Economist's obituary for this superlative soldier||Indian Army||0|
|Field Marshall Sam Manekshaw||Indian Army||19|
|VL-SRSAM / VLSRSAM ( Vertically Launched Short range SAM of IN )||Indian Navy||5|
|QRSAM ( Quick Reaction SAM ) of IA||Indian Army||65|