Saab offers Gripen fighter jets under 'Make in India' with full control

I_PLAY_BAD

NEW DELHI: Swedish defence major Saab has offered to manufacture its fifth generation Gripen fighter aircraft here with technology transfer to India, in a renewed bid for a pie in the multi-billion dollar worth IAF modernisation plan.

Saab, which had lost out in the Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft tender in 2011 which was won by French firm Dassault Aviation, anticipates that the Indian Air Force (IAF) will need more the 36 Rafale fighter jets that India is buying from France to beef up its depleting fleet.

Follow @ETDefence Twitter handle for comprehensive coverage on other buzzing Defence stories

Saab is not only offering to set up a base here but also help in the development of aerospace capability for the next 100 years and partner in developing the next version of indigenous Light Combat Aircraft Tejas and the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), being developed and designed by Aeronautical Development Agency.

Ulf Nilsson, head of Saab's aeronautics division, told PTI that the company is already doing its homework and identifying partners for collaboration.

Nilsson said the offer of technology transfer would be real as they are offering India 'full system control' and 'full software control'.

Saab (India) chief Jan Widerstrom said the company is also ready to stick by New Delhi's negative list, as was made clear by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar in an interview to PTI last month, when it comes to exporting fighter aircraft from India to other countries.

"We have almost an identical system back in Sweden when it comes to defence exports. It is decided by the government and we too can't export to specific countries which is almost the same as that of India," Widerstrom said.

Saab CEO Hakan Buskhe said the company will offer any help to the indigenous light combat aircraft project.

The Indian Air Force had in October said it would need at least six additional squadrons comprising 108 Rafale fighter jets or similar jets to shore up its capabilities.

With the government cancelling the multi-billion tender for 126 MMRCA, there is renewed hope in the aviation industry that India may go in for fresh bids to fill up the gaps.

Besides Saab, US' Lockheed Martin and the France's Dassault Aviation have offered their jets in line with the government's push for 'Make in India'.

Link: http://m.economictimes.com/news/def...ia-with-full-control/articleshow/50253759.cms

======================

@angeldude13 @Abhijat @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @aliyah @Alien @angeldude13 @Abhijat @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @aliyah @Alien @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan @asingh10 @asianobserve @BATTLE FIELD @bose @Bornubus @brational @blueblood @Blackwater @Blood+
@Bangalorean @bengalraider @cobra commando @Chirag @Chris Jude @Chinmoy @Cadian @DingDong @ersakthivel @FRYCRY @guru-dutt @Hari Sud @hit&run @indiandefencefan @I_PLAY_BAD @Indian Devil @Indibomber @Jangaruda @jackprince @Kunal @Kshatriya87 @biswas @LETHALFORCE @laughingbuddha @mhk99 @maomao @Neil @Nicky G @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @PaliwalWarrior @Pulkit @Rowdy @Razor @Rashna @rock127 @R.parida @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sunnyv @sgarg @sabari @Sameet2 @saik @sorcerer @sydsnyper @Sridevi @SREEKAR @TejasMK3 @The enlightened
@tejas warrior @tharun @thethinker @tsunami @Screambowl @Sylex21 @VIP @Vishwarupa @Vishal Guts @Yusuf @Yumdoot @Zebra

Can we say that the 'Make in India' push and some aggressive marketing by the Indian Govt is showing results?

rohit b3

Country flag
Under this "Make in India" , all these companies are trying to cash in from this milking cow called India.
Lets see India offer to make Tejas in some other countries?

indiandefencefan

Country flag
Saab appears to desperate to get an Indian contract considering the all the offers they have been giving us to support build and maintain our fleet.
But a co-development offer with full control is a very drastic move and one very rarely done by aviation companies?
Makes me wonder..........whats the catch ?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Problem is how to ameliorate the problem of decreasing squadron strength. For this to be possible, India needs a vendor with deep pockets and good assembly line. Gripen can probably provide this. But the problem is that Gripen's engine comes from GE i.e. US and India should not depend on US for such important part of the aircraft.

Scarface

"Swedish defence major Saab has offered to manufactureits fifth generation Gripen"

Am I reading this right ?
Last I checked Gripen was 4th Gen and the new NG was planned to be 4.5 gen fighter

Is this some new 5th Gen Fighter program ?

If that's the case then we should go for it,We need to fill the MRCA gap and now that fifth Gen aircraft are for sale then we should hop in as fast as we can,A 5th Gen gripen could be our standard multirole and PAK FA for air superiority.

If it's the 4/++Gen Fighter then
Gripen is too light of a fighter to fill in the MRCA gap of 90 aircraft and we already have Tejas for our Light aircraft so it's unlikely for SAAB to get us to buy Gripen.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
"Swedish defence major Saab has offered to manufactureits fifth generation Gripen"

Am I reading this right ?
Last I checked Gripen was 4th Gen and the new NG was planned to be 4.5 gen fighter

Is this some new 5th Gen Fighter program ?

If that's the case then we should go for it,We need to fill the MRCA gap and now that fifth Gen aircraft are for sale then we should hop in as fast as we can,A 5th Gen gripen could be our standard multirole and PAK FA for air superiority.

If it's the 4/++Gen Fighter then
Gripen is too light of a fighter to fill in the MRCA gap of 90 aircraft and we already have Tejas for our Light aircraft so it's unlikely for SAAB to get us to buy Gripen.
It is economictimes, so such mistakes are common. Don't expect them to be careful.

PatriotNRI

Under this "Make in India" , all these companies are trying to cash in from this milking cow called India.
Lets see India offer to make Tejas in some other countries?
SAAB is bankrupt for practical purposes. Without a steady income guarantee, well trained employees can not be retained. Shareholders are most probably clamoring for some action. Japan offering bullet train technology at 0.1% interest for 50 years is doing same in a different way. SAAB is making this offer in a very calculated way. If it is able to garner this contract, it may survive for a long time ( albeit on a skinny diet). It may be able to market the planes to other nations through India at a cheaper price? Since US technology is involved, the company must have worked out the kinks.

pmaitra

So SAAB cars have disappeared because they could neither place themselves as premium or luxury. Now, their aviation is also struggling to stay afloat.

All things said and done, SAAB Gripen is a single engine aircraft, which reminds me of the Mirage-2000 and HAL LCA, although those front canards might make it a bit more agile.

Now, coming to the thing that concerns me the most - the engine. SAAB Gripen either comes with a Volvo RM12 engine, which is a derivative of the GE-F404, the one used in the HAL LCA. Will a deal with SAAB help our efforts to seek an indigenous turbine of a capacity of GE-F404? I think not.

bose

Country flag
Old wine in new bottle !! Not worth considering...

Illusive

Country flag
So SAAB cars have disappeared because they could neither place themselves as premium or luxury. Now, their aviation is also struggling to stay afloat.

All things said and done, SAAB Gripen is a single engine aircraft, which reminds me of the Mirage-2000 and HAL LCA, although those front canards might make it a bit more agile.

Now, coming to the thing that concerns me the most - the engine. SAAB Gripen either comes with a Volvo RM12 engine, which is a derivative of the GE-F404, the one used in the HAL LCA. Will a deal with SAAB help our efforts to seek an indigenous turbine of a capacity of GE-F404? I think not.
Great truck and furniture makers though, not to forget their submarines. I was surprised to see Sweden making so many defence products.

pmaitra

Great truck and furniture makers though, not to forget their submarines. I was surprised to see Sweden making so many defence products.
Scania? I think India uses some as artillery tractors. For submarines, they have the Gotland Class with AIP. It is a good innovation. I think this came a bit too late. I would still go with the Japanese Li-ion battery technology. The less moving parts we have, the more silent the sub will be. The Stirling Engine (of the Gotland's AIP) can never match a battery operated submarine.

Coming to furniture, they are only nominal. Here we have the IKEA stores. They are Chinese furniture stores. The only thing Swedish is the name IKEA.

I_PLAY_BAD

I feel Indian Govt. is making the right moves.
It is creating a competition between defence corporations across the world. Result ? We have a lot of options.
We will not be stuck only with Russian tech and lose enormous money for obsolete toys. competition is good for business and good for the buyer (India). No ?

As far as the offer of Saab I would like the Government to go for it.
Advantages...
1. New set of techs and processes from a region (Scandinavian countries) which India have never explored before. If this is going to be done through "Make in India" then the skill levels of employees will rise.
2. Since Saab is likely to agree for a manufacture and export type of deal, India can enter in the avionics market which it cannot enter so far.
3. Diplomatic support from Sweden and its neighbours.
4. Once Saab is able to do business with profits then many other defence manufacturing conglomerates will knock on our doors thus creating potential to huge employment opportunities.

Sylex21

This offer should be studied carefully. Unlike all other manufacturers, SAAB has a really strong motive to work with India with genuine sincerity. SAAB is Swedish, and Sweden is never going to place many orders, or really allow SAAB to expand the way that they would like. Sweden simply doesn't have the resources to support a massive airforce.

The largest country in the world that doesn't have a strong domestic manufacturing base is India. India furthermore has some really solid growth potential in the coming decades. If SAAB was willing to become significantly indigenized, this could advance India's fighter jet manufacturing ability 20 years.

I_PLAY_BAD

Saab also manufactures UAVs.
That might as well be a good opportunity for India.

Illusive

Country flag
This offer should be studied carefully. Unlike all other manufacturers, SAAB has a really strong motive to work with India with genuine sincerity. SAAB is Swedish, and Sweden is never going to place many orders, or really allow SAAB to expand the way that they would like. Sweden simply doesn't have the resources to support a massive airforce.

The largest country in the world that doesn't have a strong domestic manufacturing base is India. India furthermore has some really solid growth potential in the coming decades. If SAAB was willing to become significantly indigenized, this could advance India's fighter jet manufacturing ability 20 years.
True, but even to consider this deal would mean buying their aircraft first, where does that fit in our arsenal or our doctrine. India's manufacturing capability would have jumped 20 years if they had engine tech with them.

If somehow, this collaboration goes as far as AMCA with Kaveri engine with active participation of SAAB in both programmes and them having to buy the same, then there is something to consider. But as we all know we take soo much time considering that the tech itself might becoming obsolete by the time we say yes.

salute

oh dude, this swedish are such a crying bitches that just wont go away. :laugh:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles