Saab JAS 39 Gripen Multirole fighter aircraft.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Use this thread for all Discussions with regards to SAAB JAS 39 Gripen. Some basic info:The SAAB JAS 39 Gripen is a single-engine multirole fighter aircraft which is manufactured by the Swedish aerospace and defense company Saab AB. The Gripen is said to be a delta wing and canard configuration Aircraft with relaxed stability design and fly-by-wire flight controls.
The Aircraft made its 1st flight in 9 December 1988.
5a21450b0430c4ed8dba3fa2484563bc.jpg
gripen-e1.jpg

Super Flanker

Country flag
Stop spamming ffs we’re not interested in all these things
Yeah but still? Instead of cluttering the other threads of AMCA ,Tejas mk-2 etc it's better to have a dedicated thread for it. So everyone who wants to discuss anything with regards to Gripen than They can do it here.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Yeah but still? Instead of cluttering the other threads of AMCA ,Tejas mk-2 etc it's better to have a dedicated thread for it. So everyone who wants to discuss anything with regards to Gripen than They can do it here.
It's been years on this forum , many people came ,but no one needed this thread except a kid who have a urge to add photos as if we can't see it in our browser or we will make him some headboy or what for doing good handwriting and neat work in his notebook

Super Flanker

Country flag
It's been years on this forum , many people came ,but no one needed this thread except a kid who have a urge to add photos as if we can't see it in our browser or we will make him some headboy or what for doing good handwriting and neat work in his notebook
Okay we will delete this thread. Happy now?
@ezsasa @Indx TechStyle delete this thread kindly.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Very nice aircraft. Our Ex IAF chief had said that his first choice will be Rafale and second will be SAAB GRIPEN E/F. It is definitely better than F 16 and F 18. It can give a tough fight to any fighter except Fifth generation (Chinese Junk 20 is not included in 5TH Generation fighters) plane.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Okay we will delete this thread. Happy now?
@ezsasa @Indx TechStyle delete this thread kindly.
Just chill out, any thread which will have some 50-100 posts at most is best kept to threads like IAF, MWF< ADA tejas MK2, Tejas MK1, Rafale, etc.... this just clutters.
There is no issue in having a standalone thread on a specific aircraft. Though it won't be made sticky until it attains a good number of posts.

KurtisBrian

Country flag
It is a nice less expensive plane might be okay for the needs of an air force today. Jets being expensive have long service lives. A wise buyer makes his purchase thinking of tomorrow. ie Canada bought the F-5...was a little plane built for it's day. Couldn't really expand/grow. Was always very limited. Bought the F-18, not long after it was developed, which had lots of room to expand, it has been good for a long time.
Wonder if the military spenders in Canada will go cheap and buy this plane. Would imo be sort of a repeat of the mistakes made with the F-5.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Just chill out, any thread which will have some 50-100 posts at most is best kept to threads like IAF, MWF< ADA tejas MK2, Tejas MK1, Rafale, etc.... this just clutters.
There is no issue in having a standalone thread on a specific aircraft. Though it won't be made sticky until it attains a good number of posts.
Yes.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Very nice aircraft. Our Ex IAF chief had said that his first choice will be Rafale and second will be SAAB GRIPEN E/F. It is definitely better than F 16 and F 18. It can give a tough fight to any fighter except Fifth generation (Chinese Junk 20 is not included in 5TH Generation fighters) plane.
Gripen has lots of potential for Export. But America can basically Control it's Export because it uses American Engines. For example in a competition, if SAAB pitches the Gripen and Lockheed Martin pitches the F-16 than America will probably not allow the supply of Engines to SAAB if Gripen is selected and hence F-16 will win. I believe American have done something like this in the Past. Anyways if I had the chance than I would always select the Gripen over the F-16. Anyways Gripen has no place in Indian Airforce because We are Developing our own Tejas mk2 which will be comparible to Gripen. Nonetheless one of my favourite Swedish Planes of all time!
gripen-jas-39-saab-vvs-shvetsii-gripen-jas-39-pkr-pkr-rbs-15.jpg
649178.jpg

Wisemarko

Country flag
For example in a competition, if SAAB pitches the Gripen and Lockheed Martin pitches the F-16 than America will probably not allow the supply of Engines to SAAB if Gripen is selected and hence F-16 will win. I believe American have done something like this in the Past.
Please. When did that happen?

Super Flanker

Country flag
Please. When did that happen?
I don't know. But I had read about something like this somewhere. I don't know how true it is though but I have read about this somewhere, I believe it was on Quora.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Gripen has lots of potential for Export. But America can basically Control it's Export because it uses American Engines. For example in a competition, if SAAB pitches the Gripen and Lockheed Martin pitches the F-16 than America will probably not allow the supply of Engines to SAAB if Gripen is selected and hence F-16 will win. I believe American have done something like this in the Past. Anyways if I had the chance than I would always select the Gripen over the F-16. Anyways Gripen has no place in Indian Airforce because We are Developing our own Tejas mk2 which will be comparible to Gripen. Nonetheless one of my favourite Swedish Planes of all time!
View attachment 131037View attachment 131038
From whatever data available in open forum, Gripen and MWF looks very similar. MWF seems to have beaten Gripen in MTOW and Payload. Let us hope that MWF will beat Gripen in maneuverability and electronics as well. If we can pull out something similar to GRIPEN E, it will give us an edge over our enemy for a long time to come. We should start designing stealth version of MWF with at least frontal stealth. MWF will have lower RCS because it is designed with low RCS in mind. Recently, nosecone size was reduced to achieve lower RCS. Like that, many changes are made to reduce RCS without Aerodynamic paneity. When India will assemble GAN based AESA, it will have edge over Gripen and and many other fighters because it will be able to see even Stealth plane.

Super Flanker

Country flag
From whatever data available in open forum, Gripen and MWF looks very similar. MWF seems to have beaten Gripen in MTOW and Payload. Let us hope that MWF will beat Gripen in maneuverability and electronics as well. If we can pull out something similar to GRIPEN E, it will give us an edge over our enemy for a long time to come. We should start designing stealth version of MWF with at least frontal stealth. MWF will have lower RCS because it is designed with low RCS in mind. Recently, nosecone size was reduced to achieve lower RCS. Like that, many changes are made to reduce RCS without Aerodynamic paneity. When India will assemble GAN based AESA, it will have edge over Gripen and and many other fighters because it will be able to see even Stealth plane.
Uhm. With regards to this. Well I am not sure about it. We will know about what is the true performance of Tejas mk2 When the 1st Prototype of the Aircraft is rolled out. After that it done and tests are done only than will we be able to see how good it is as compared to Gripen. Don't make your Assumptions on Projected specs of an aircraft.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Uhm. With regards to this. Well I am not sure about it. We will know about what is the true performance of Tejas mk2 When the 1st Prototype of the Aircraft is rolled out. After that it done and tests are done only than will we be able to see how good it is as compared to Gripen. Don't make your Assumptions on Projected specs of an aircraft.
These are not my assumption. This is something what designers of Tejas has said.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles