Rustom 2/TAPAS/BH-201 MALE UAV News Updates and Discussions

Enquirer

How do soldiers get networked information on the battlefield? Either satellite or terrestrial data links, the terrestrial requires repeaters on the ground so is only possible if you control the lines behind you. The satellite can reach anywhere.
As I mentioned earlier. At this time India does not use Satellite communication at the 'dispersion' level.

You seem to be unplugged from history of technology and are pigeon-holed into the latest tech! AM communication won't need repeaters for hundreds/thousands of kms (what was used in WWI & WWII) - that's the way HAM radios work! FM communication will need repeater in about 50 kms. India does have that level of vast mobile terrestial comm equipment.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
As I mentioned earlier. At this time India does not use Satellite communication at the 'dispersion' level.

You seem to be unplugged from history of technology and are pigeon-holed into the latest tech! AM communication won't need repeaters for hundreds/thousands of kms (what was used in WWI & WWII) - that's the way HAM radios work! FM communication will need repeater in about 50 kms. India does have that level of vast mobile terrestial comm equipment.
You seem to be unplugged from networking. If the transmission cannot reach point A to point B such as line of sight issues, then the node in the middle is called the repeater because it is repeating the transmission. It doesn't matter if it is a voice transmission or a TDL gateway.

Enquirer

You seem to be unplugged from networking. If the transmission cannot reach point A to point B such as line of sight issues, then the node in the middle is called the repeater because it is repeating the transmission. It doesn't matter if it is a voice transmission or a TDL gateway.
Not sure why you're defining what a repeater does - if it makes you happy to state the obvious, then so be it!
Not sure this discourse is relevant to Rustom 2!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Not sure why you're defining what a repeater does - if it makes you happy to state the obvious, then so be it!
Not sure this discourse is relevant to Rustom 2!
Apparently I have to if you think I am unplugged from history. Why do you feel the need to state the obvious from WWII? I would say that has nothing to do with Rustom 2! I was explaining to @Kshithij what is required for battlefield networks and that is relevant to this UAV that doesn't utilise them and instead needs its own tactical data link outside of its ground control station.

Enquirer

Apparently I have to if you think I am unplugged from history. Why do you feel the need to state the obvious from WWII? I would say that has nothing to do with Rustom 2! I was explaining to @Kshithij what is required for battlefield networks and that is relevant to this UAV that doesn't utilise them and instead needs its own tactical data link outside of its ground control station.
My bad then!
I've blocked that scum Kshithij, so I didn't realize that your comments were in response to his posts!
Peace!

charlie

Country flag
We have something similar in France but the Scorpion terminals are tied to satellite or terrestrial data links, they don't directly hook up to the UAV. That data is transmitted from the ground control station across the network. It is the same in the US system. It would make it too easy to hack into if you get direct access like that.
Don't get offended but how do you know US uses same system or I did't understand what you are talking about , I am assuming that you are saying that UAV is sending video back to the ground controller and then it's redistributed right ? if that is the case then what you are talking about is termed as dinosaur in US, Because of the ISR mission module a solider can receive video downlink directly from UAV and via cross-banding redistribute it via MANET to all player in Battlefield SA. This is happening in real time by the way.

ISR mission module can be attached directly to riflemen radio or can be tethered via cable.

charlie

Country flag

Well HAL SDR 2010 was advertised as it will have growth potential of UHF satcom in future anyway it's just a module which can be integrated.

I am not sure how they can control the UAV because I didn't start working in that industry yet. I met a colleague in vegas who had his own company for manufacturing parts of UAV too bad I didn't take his number or he could have solved that puzzled.

But when it's about communication yes SDR 2010 is capable BLOS with something like LTAC over UHF.

Enquirer

Well HAL SDR 2010 was advertised as it will have growth potential of UHF satcom in future anyway it's just a module which can be integrated.

I am not sure how they can control the UAV because I didn't start working in that industry yet. I met a colleague in vegas who had his own company for manufacturing parts of UAV too bad I didn't take his number or he could have solved that puzzled.

But when it's about communication yes SDR 2010 is capable BLOS with something like LTAC over UHF.

HAL may have developed this, but the data links on Rustom 2 is being custom developed by Defence Electronics Application Laboratory (DEAL) of DRDO.
The issue with Satellite communication is not the transceiver within UAV/GroundStation but the allocation of a dedicated Satellite for the purpose.
When MoD decides to have such satellites for UAV purposes then it will be possible.

charlie

Country flag
HAL may have developed this, but the data links on Rustom 2 is being custom developed by Defence Electronics Application Laboratory (DEAL) of DRDO.
The issue with Satellite communication is not the transceiver within UAV/GroundStation but the allocation of a dedicated Satellite for the purpose.
When MoD decides to have such satellites for UAV purposes then it will be possible.
You don't need an dedicated satellite to do this you can use Inmarsat global government services for communication how do you think all the other countries with no satellite do it ?

As long as it's tunnelled and the data is encrypted you are golden.

How do you think Indian navy was working before rukmani was launch ??

Enquirer

You don't need an dedicated satellite to do this you can use Inmarsat global government services for communication how do you think all the other countries with no satellite do it ?

To the best of my knowledge every country that uses satellite based communication for military drones use dedicated military satellites for the purpose! Can you name any that don't?

charlie

Country flag
To the best of my knowledge every country that uses satellite based communication for military drones use dedicated military satellites for the purpose! Can you name any that don't?
I have to google that to figure out which country is using that for military drone specially but US military communication uses commercial satellite all the time it's fairly a common knowledge you might have heard of a term called COMSATCOM right.

Here is a link i googled particular for a drone in US using COMSATCOM.https://ses-gs.com/govsat/public-safety/comsatcom-enables-next-generation-firefighting/

There are 100's of discussion which is cheaper COMSATCOM or MILSATCOM.

But you can't always rely on MILSATCOM on every part of the world even for US.

One more thing I would like to add is how do you think Indian navy works when it's goes beyond rukmani coverage ??? Ever gave a thought about that ?

Last edited:

charlie

Country flag
Don't get offended but how do you know US uses same system or I did't understand what you are talking about , I am assuming that you are saying that UAV is sending video back to the ground controller and then it's redistributed right ? if that is the case then what you are talking about is termed as dinosaur in US, Because of the ISR mission module a solider can receive video downlink directly from UAV and via cross-banding redistribute it via MANET to all player in Battlefield SA. This is happening in real time by the way.

ISR mission module can be attached directly to riflemen radio or can be tethered via cable.

ISR mission module link forgot to attach https://www.harris.com/solution/harris-rf-330e-cm-embeddable-modular-radio-emr

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha

How do you intend to get HD quality video feed from any satellite for over a dozen drones flying simultaneously? Do you have that capacity in satellite?

charlie

Country flag
How do you intend to get HD quality video feed from any satellite for over a dozen drones flying simultaneously? Do you have that capacity in satellite?
My knowledge regarding drones are limited but I can tell you this every situation is different and it depends how many satellites and covering that area

All COMSATCOM satellite bandwidth are available on the internet you can pull them and check it. If MILSATCOM are not enough then they go to COMSATCOM.

If you are talking about today's satellite capability yes it would good enough.

Then it depends what kind of compression tech for the data is used in the drone or even if it's used !!

there are 100's of scenarios in networking it's not always satellite is used for video feed. Here is a bit of explation that will help you clear something.

Last edited:

Enquirer

I have to google that to figure out which country is using that for military drone specially but US military communication uses commercial satellite all the time it's fairly a common knowledge you might have heard of a term called COMSATCOM right.

Here is a link i googled particular for a drone in US using COMSATCOM.https://ses-gs.com/govsat/public-safety/comsatcom-enables-next-generation-firefighting/

There are 100's of discussion which is cheaper COMSATCOM or MILSATCOM.
But you can't always rely on MILSATCOM on every part of the world even for US.

One more thing I would like to add is how do you think Indian navy works when it's goes beyond rukmani coverage ??? Ever gave a thought about that ?
It appears that they used civilian satellites for civilian uses only.

charlie

Country flag
It appears that they used civilian satellites for civilian uses only.
Commercial SATCOM services carry the signals from unmanned aircraft back to military decision makers. They empower video collaboration between deployed personnel and leaders in the field. They deliver the capabilities, applications and bandwidth that today’s military expects on base—out in the field.”

did you read this quote or missed it ? anyway I told you based on my knowledge you don't have to believe it

But just float a thought of indian navy before their own satellite was launched and airforce too ?

Last edited:

Enquirer

Commercial SATCOM services carry the signals from unmanned aircraft back to military decision makers. They empower video collaboration between deployed personnel and leaders in the field. They deliver the capabilities, applications and bandwidth that today’s military expects on base—out in the field.”

did you read this quote or missed it ? anyway I told you based on my knowledge you don't have to believe it

But just float a thought of indian navy before their own satellite was launched and airforce too ?
That's a quote from a different article, whose link you did not provide.

My thinking is that for real time application geo stationary satellites (35,000+kms high) would not be suitable - due to the round trip delay. Low earth orbiting satellites (~100 kms high) are more suitable. US military has a constellation of such satellites for real-time operations (if application is mere data/file transfers then latency is not a problem).
India currently does not have a constellation of low earth orbit satellites. Having one or two does not work because LEO satellites are over the target area just for an hour or two in a 24 hour period!

Last edited:

Articles