Several reasons:Here's a crazy idea:
How about implement auto-pilot on Mig21, use embed Rustom's datalink etc and turn Mig21s into unmanned bombers ??? (can easily do this out to a range of 400kms combat radius)
Worst case they be sent on a one-way trip with 1000 kg explosive out to 1500kms!!
There're nearly 300 Mig21s!!!
Manned fighters need to be regularly put in training sorties in order to keep the pilots adept at their skills. Once it's turned into unmanned, they don't need to be flown as often, because the operator training could be 90% on a simulator, as such the life of the aircraft can be preserved for decades. If it crashes, no big deal!!
(India implemented auto-pilot on Jaguars! Not to make it unmanned though)
- MiG21 does not have enough space for advanced avionics, FBW and other LRU.
- The control surface of MiG21 is not conducive for automation
- People sitting on ground stations will find it hard to see via a camera in supersonic flight
- MiG21 will have difficulty in take off in different weathers without pilot control
- MiG21 is not fuel efficient like other UAV and hence will have very limited flying time