Russia's latest air defense system S-400 licensed for export

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

A S-400 air defense system on display at the Oboronexpo-2014 arms exhibition

ZHUKOVSKY, August 15. /ITAR- TASS/. "Russia's latest air defense system - "S-400" has been issued a license for exports; talks are underway on its exports abroad", Deputy director general of the "Almaz- Antei"concern said Friday . "It's export passport has already been received. At present, we are conducting talks on the exports of the defense complex abroad. We have already made considerable progress," the executive, Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, said at "Rosoboronexport" show in Zhukovsky (Moscow region). He said the unquestionable priority was still given to the S-400 deliveries within the state defense order. "The S-400 system, including medium-range ait defense systems, is delivered to the troops on a large scale. I'd like to emphasise that we fulfil our obligations before foreign customers and sign new contracts with reasonable deadlines and with regard for our possibilities," Dzirkaln said. According to him, it would be incorrect to say that the S-400 system would be spread around the world only owing to its combat capability. "The S-400 system is new, very effective and costly. Only counties with developed economies and good financial means can afford such systems," he said.
However, he said, the contracts on the S-400 supply will replace the S-300 export contracts. "We are currently engaged in marketing of the S-400 air defense missile system. Yes, the S-300 system is efficient, but if we have developed new systems why not offer them to our customers and potential partners," the Almaz-Antey deputy head said.

Read more here:
ITAR-TASS: Russia - Russia's latest air defense system S-400 licensed for export

Zebra

Country flag
Russia's new S-500 system to destroy any target at any altitude - Deputy Defence Minister

27 March, 04:22

Russia's new fifth-generation air defence system S-500 will be able to destroy any target at any altitude, Deputy Defence Minister Yuri Borisov said on Wednesday, March 26.

"Work is underway to create a new fifth-generation air defence system S-500 which can destroy aerodynamic and ballistic targets of all types at all altitudes used in combat," he said.

Borisov said S-400 systems would continue to be supplied to the Aerospace Defence Troops this year. The system "is about 2-2.5 times better than existing systems in terms of cost efficiency", he added.

S-400 Triumf air defence systems were put on combat duty in Russia's Southern Military District at the end of last year to replace S-300PM missiles.

Supplies of new air defence systems to the 4th Air Force and Air Defence Command in the District started in 2009. Since then, more than 60 pieces of new military hardware have been delivered and put into operation.

The Triumf system is more than two times more effective that previous systems. Each system can attack 10 targets with up to 20 missiles.

The S-400 uses 3 different missiles to cover its entire performance envelope.

The Russian Ministry of Defence has stated that the S-400 is for the Russian Armed Forces only; it will not be exported to other countries.

The Russian Defence Ministry and the Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) are also building a new carrier rocket called Angara and have stepped up preparations for its first launch. "We have done a tremendous amount of work to step up preparations for the Angara launch and to catch up with the schedule. And there is no doubt today that Angara will fly in July," he said.

The new carrier rocket will be used to launch both civilian and military spacecraft and for international space cooperation projects.

A mock-up of the Angara carrier rocket was taken out of the assembly shop at the northern Plesetsk Cosmodrome and installed in the launch pad area in February.

Angara is one of the priorities in the development of the Plesetsk spaceport. In November 2013, a full-scale mock-up of the rocket was for the first time put up at the launch pad. It was a fully operational rocket but intended for ground testing only, not for launching.

A super-heavy lift launch vehicle will be able to carry a payload of 80 tonnes to low-earth orbits. In the future, its capacity can be increased to 160 tonnes and more.

The launch site for super-heavy lift vehicles will be built at Russia's new Vostochny Cosmodrome now under construction in the Far Eastern Amur Region.

Khrunichev Space Centre Director-General Alexander Seliverstov said that the Angara development had reached the flight test stage and the focus was on finalising the launch site in Plesetsk.

The Angara 1.2 vehicle was shipped to Plesetsk in late May 2013 to allow adequate time for extensive testing and interface verification efforts being performed prior to the planned launch in the first half of 2014. The Angara 5 vehicle is expected to launch later in 2014, he said.

Seliverstov said that light and heavy versions of Angara rockets would be launched in 2014 and work was proceeding as scheduled.

"The first rocket is to be launched in 2014," Seliverstov said.

A heavy version of the rocket is being assembled. "Work is proceeding as scheduled. We have to make the heavy version before the end of the year as its launch is scheduled for the end of 2014," he said last year.

Angara will allow Russia to launch all kinds of spacecraft to any orbit. Now Russia can launch heavy satellites only aboard Proton rockets from Baikonur, which it leases from Kazakhstan for about 115 million U.S. dollars a year.

According to Khrunichev, a big advantage of the new rocket carrier is that "it is a universal space rocket system" capable of taking three types of rockets into space: light with a payload of up to 3.5 tonnes, medium with a payload of up to 14.6 tonnes, and heavy with a payload of up to 24.5 tonnes.

Medium lift and heavy lift launch vehicles can take payloads to the geostationary orbit as well.

The vehicle uses a unique engineering solution: the carrier can be assembled of the same modules. Their maximum number is five in a heavy version, three in a medium version, and one in a light version. They can all be launched form the same pad, not like now at Baikonur where each carrier requires its own launching pad.

The Angara class of rockets comprises four types of vehicles, with payload capacities ranging between 3.7 tones /light class, intended for low orbits/ and 28.5 tonnes.

Voice of Russia, TASS

Russia's new S-500 system to destroy any target at any altitude - Deputy Defence Minister - News - Russia - The Voice of Russia: News, Breaking news, Politics, Economics, Business, Russia, International current events, Expert opinion, podcasts, V
Which one is true? They gonna export S-400, or not!

Muthanna Subbayya

It does seem like they will be exporting the S400( esp given their need to bolster exports due to the recent EU/US embargo) . The price for one S-400 system, four missiles on a TEL, was roughly $27 million( from the russiandefpolicy website... )

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
India must get at least 20 of them and reverse engineer it........

I am waiting to see India and the DRDO to get its hands on the S-400 as soon as possible......:drool: :drool: :hungry: :hungry:

Jagdish58

India must get at least 20 of them and reverse engineer it........

I am waiting to see India and the DRDO to get its hands on the S-400 as soon as possible......:drool: :drool: :hungry: :hungry:
But will DRDO reverse engineer S-400:confused??: becuase we have S-300 which is still closely guarded secret have we reverse engineered it in the first place?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
But will DRDO reverse engineer S-400:confused??: becuase we have S-300 which is still closely guarded secret have we reverse engineered it in the first place?
I would happy if DRDO did the reverse engineering of both S-300 and S-400 and designs a new and more advanced tech...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would happy if DRDO did the reverse engineering of both S-300 and S-400 and designs a new and more advanced tech...
I maybe a cynic, but I am not too sure that they can.

If they could, we would have already gone places.

Even after having the Bofor ToT, they have dragged their feet and produced something that had, what is called in military parlance, an accident!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I maybe a cynic, but I am not too sure that they can.

If they could, we would have already gone places.

Even after having the Bofor ToT, they have dragged their feet and produced something that had, what is called in military parlance, an accident!
Why can't they reverse engineer? They can't be so dumb.

We know we produce Donkeys in our Engineering factories but DRDO guys should be capable enough.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Why, are we so dumb that we cannot reverse engineer anything or are we lacking the will to do so under some political pressure from the russians.....?

Jagdish58

Why, are we so dumb that we cannot reverse engineer anything or are we lacking the will to do so under some political pressure from the russians.....?
If we reverse engineer , many high value imports will be stopped then who will feed middle agent and their family?? and more importantly who will bail foreign company from Bankruptcy ??? & what about kick backs??

The big one we cannot down play chinese by taunting them for reverse engineering:facepalm: fact of the matter is it is easy to taunt then reverse engineering:thumb:

Compersion

Country flag
Reverse Engineering - the terms to use are "copying and stealing technology without acknowledgement" is not good. Building trust and also applying and complying with agreements is good. It builds confidence in dealing and also in future agreements and developments sets benchmarks. Further its based on rule of law principles you do not copy and steal without acknowledgment.

after a successful fully complied agreement learning and developing can be incorporated with all the stakeholders and is different from copying and stealing. Transfer of Technology is also different. The Russians wants to maintain their manufacturing. Question is with the FDI being opened up in India for Defense will the Russian companies come. It will be good to diversify manufacturing and also good for servicing and delivery and earn more money in long-term.

Jagdish58

Reverse Engineering - the terms to use are "copying and stealing technology without acknowledgement" is not good. Building trust and also applying and complying with agreements is good. It builds confidence in dealing and also in future agreements and developments sets benchmarks. Further its based on rule of law principles you do not copy and steal without acknowledgment.

after a successful fully complied agreement learning and developing can be incorporated with all the stakeholders and is different from copying and stealing. Transfer of Technology is also different. The Russians wants to maintain their manufacturing. Question is with the FDI being opened up in India for Defense will the Russian companies come. It will be good to diversify manufacturing and also good for servicing and delivery and earn more money in long-term.
Yes we have maintained good trust with Russia then why are refusing to TOT on Smerch , cost overun on Vikramditya , T-90 technical snags , Su-30MKI Engine engine issue the list goes on
it should be two way right

While i agree on diversification of production , not only put all egg in same basket under public limited but share it to other private production agency as well

Compersion

Country flag
Yes we have maintained good trust with Russia then why are refusing to TOT on Smerch , cost overun on Vikramditya , T-90 technical snags , Su-30MKI Engine engine issue the list goes on
it should be two way right

While i agree on diversification of production , not only put all egg in same basket under public limited but share it to other private production agency as well
Su-30 MKI, Smerch, Vikramaditya, T-90, and all the rest - Is there a comparable relationship that Russia has with anyone else. Russia has given a lot when no-one else would and has. But yes India is also telling them there is choice and many times better choice available. Also because of natural conditions there is a potential USA-India closeness. But we are no way going to back-stab Russia and spit on their face. It also means India is developing and also India wants better works. Does that make Russia more competitive (refer to the below).

What India has done within Su-30 MKI, Smerch, Vikramaditya, T-90, and all the rest i am sure Russia gets the "message". Would they have got that and such a message from anyone else.

It works both ways. Akash, IAC, Arjun, Tejas, PAK-FA, and more

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Anyhoo we need to get our air defence in order, that means getting our LR SAM programs going. Since Aakash is only a MR SAM and also BARAK 8 is hobbled with a range of only 70km and even the ER version shall have a range of only 150km.
The S300 & S 400 are unique as they qualify as offensive weapons as well by virtue of their sheer range. A dozen batteries of S 400 deployed close to our western border would negate the ability of the PAF to play any part in any future indo pak conflict.

gadeshi

It does seem like they will be exporting the S400( esp given their need to bolster exports due to the recent EU/US embargo) . The price for one S-400 system, four missiles on a TEL, was roughly $27 million( from the russiandefpolicy website... )
Russians do not sell or deliver heavy AD/BMD Systems from S-300/S-400 family by one TEL or even the one full battery. They sell and deliver S-300/S-400 by divizion (do not mispoint with infantry division) complects (4 batteries + control, self-defence, electronic surviallance and support units) for export and by regiment (4 divizions + regiment-level control, self-defence, communication, ESM and support units) complects for Russian VKS.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Is there any chance India buying the system at least for protecting major cities? If S-400 works half as good as advertised, it would a tremendous force multiplier. Akash may be a good missile, but I doubt DRDO can achieve as good ability in building the whole system similar to S-400 anytime soon. Given China is rumoured to have already gotten it, and will surely reverse engineer it in coming days, I would say that India should at least buy enough of these to protect at least the major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata. What do you folks think about it?

gadeshi

Is there any chance India buying the system at least for protecting major cities? If S-400 works half as good as advertised, it would a tremendous force multiplier. Akash may be a good missile, but I doubt DRDO can achieve as good ability in building the whole system similar to S-400 anytime soon. Given China is rumoured to have already gotten it, and will surely reverse engineer it in coming days, I would say that India should at least buy enough of these to protect at least the major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata. What do you folks think about it?
Akash is middle ranged AD system (up to 75km) which is not comparable to heavy area defence systems like S-300/S-400.
And yes, S-400 works as advertised, not a half :) but it requires to purchase whole package of system parts to work that way.
And of course, it requires the customer to be tought to use modern Soviet/Russian mobile AD tactics as well.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Akash is middle ranged AD system (up to 75km) which is not comparable to heavy area defence systems like S-300/S-400.
I know and said the same in my post.
And yes, S-400 works as advertised, not a half :) but it requires to purchase whole package of system parts to work that way.
I know that too, hence i mentioned S-400 SYSTEMS, not S-400 missiles only.
And of course, it requires the customer to be tought to use modern Soviet/Russian mobile AD tactics as well.
There I have to disagree, as I am sure our armed forces can develop their own doctrine based on their own terrain, border and necessity, which is unlike Russia.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles