Russian stance against Pakistan's terror financing surprises India

Alien

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...cing-surprises-india/articleshow/47952231.cms

There is unease in Delhi over recent stand that old ally Russia took at a recent anti-terror financing meet organised at Brisbane by opposing move by India to demand censure against Pakistan for its inaction against JuD & LeT.
While New Zealand and Australia also opposed the move, India is surprised with Russia’s position which in the past has been very supportive of India’s stand onKashmir to the extent of vetoing resolutions in UN Security Council.

Official sources indicated that the Russia will be sensitised of India’s position. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Ufa on sidelines of BRICS and SCO summits and counter terror cooperation will be part of talking points. BRICS too will deal with threats from ISIS.

Russia’s stand is not without context. Last year India raised with Russia it’s displeasure over Moscow’s decision to sell arms to Pakistan. Moscow, however, feels that it needs Pakistan to counter terrorists in the Af-Pak region and control drug trade in Afghanistan, sources indicated. The Afghan issue will also be part of Putin-Modi discussions.

New Delhi wants a reassurance from Moscow that its recent military cooperation agreement with Islamabad would not hurt core security interests of India. Pakistan Army Chief recently visited Moscow for defence cooperation dialogue.

While New Delhi had nothing to say about bilateral ties between two other nations, it expects that Russia would not be oblivious of its decades-old and time-tested relations with India.

Russia’s decision to strike a defence deal with Pakistan appears to be a reaction to India’s move to enter into closer ties with the US.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Well they have just reset their ties with pakistan ....

They just wanted to send right signal to pakistan......

Now let us see how new delhi responds ...

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Very well. If Russia wants to be pals with China, and for that is ready to sacrifice decades long friendship with India, let them do that. India shall align with the west and against Russia, if needs be. I hope New Delhi becomes aggressive in telling russia that when India would like to retain the friendship, it wouldn't be a great loss either as India has numerous options now. The days of Cold War is over long over, and India is no longer solely dependant on the Soviet support in the international fora.

sorcerer

Country flag
Russia’s decision to strike a defence deal with Pakistan appears to be a reaction to India’s move to enter into closer ties with the US.
Oh Well!!! The Indian camp got the Russian attention before the Indian PM visits Russia this weekend.
The fundamentals between Russia and India is strong and time tested.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
^^True.

In geopolitics only a fool would expect permanent friends. India`s top goal should to be develop a self sustaining economy with/without friends.

Zebra

Country flag
This is at least 5 days old news. I wonder why they publish it today again...!

sob

Mod
Country flag
Time to give a warning to Russia. Enough is enough.

So this is a clear indication that in the Indo-China context where do the Russians stand. No surprise here.

salute

So this is a clear indication that in the Indo-China context where do the Russians stand. No surprise here.
No one is friend here, proves it once again.
who knows what game is being played out here its politics after all,

is russia really with paki from now on ???

are they really against india ???

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Not a concern for India ..... considering India got the success by effectively blocking the finances of terror organizations!

Please merge the two threads !

sob

Mod
Country flag

Well they are not really moving with our interest in mind.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Not a concern for India ..... considering India got the success by effectively blocking the finances of terror organizations!

Please merge the two threads !
Which thread. I have locked the thread opened by Neo, as this was opened earlier.

salute

Well they are not really moving with our interest in mind.
yeah interest but what kind of interest,

what could be the reasons for this move,

russians dont have any hugh interests other than somekind of oil or gas pipelines. :laugh:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Which thread. I have locked the thread opened by Neo, as this was opened earlier.
I mean merging the replies in that thread with this so that the discussion can continue here !

Zebra

Country flag

Not sure about first two points, but I am sure about the last point.
They were never with India.

Varahamihira

Country flag
What to get surprised in it.I'm surprised that New Delhi is surprised.
Russia F***ed up India from the start itself.
Read Mitrokhin Archives http://mitrokhinarchiveii.blogspot.be/

As I said in my previous posts,in Geo-Political relations "There are no permanent friends,only permanent interests should matter".
Get this into your head and work for the betterment of India.

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Already discussed, as Russian in India will get feed back from middlemen that India is going to develop its own weapons and have larger say, Russians will look for other markets.

All of you guys if have missed then let me point it out here again, India and USA have just singed a defense pact and that pact is quite similar to what we singed with Russia during 60s-70s (Please correct me If wrong). So there is no need to point finger at anyone. Just watch the game of changing equations.

I can foresee in 10 years India weaning off all its dependencies on export of foreign weapon system excluding fighter jets. Nations those who are cordial with us will become benign if not enemy.

anupamsurey

Country flag
maybe putin wants to arm twist india. to sell some more junks. or another project. arussia is not really running in its present situation. but what i feel is Our pm being too soft with russia and china

Abhijat

Country flag
WE need to , work towards strengthening our relationship with Central Asian countries.

It will not only help , in our search towards energy security, but will also make India as a soft power, so that when dealing with regional problem , such as security in Afghanistan , we can have an "independent" foreign policy towards the region.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles