RUSSIAN fighters will top in the next decade.

A.V.

-- The developments most likely to interrupt the ability of the United States to carry out missions up to and including conventional airstrikes and thus imperil deterrence come from a range of technologies. Developments in these areas can be seen as pacesetters.

-- Fighters. After a long lull, the world fighter market has seen new procurement plans and research on advanced types. First up are variants incorporating advanced tracking and targeting systems explicitly intended to match current U.S. fighters. In March 2008, Russian President Vladimir Putin called on the defense ministry to add more Sukhoi Su-35s and Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-35s -- an upgrade of the MiG-29 Fulcrum -- in the interim before Sukhoi's "fifth-generation" PAK-FA type is developed, Alexey Komarov reported in his article "Bear Market" in Aviation Week and Space Technology on March 3, 2008.

Together, Russia and China have 12 open military-aircraft production lines.

-- Jammers. Digital radio-frequency memory is an electronics countermeasure technology that samples and digitally duplicates a waveform. The digitized waveform can be reconstructed at will and projected back to give false information on position, speed, heading and more.

-- Infrared search and track. New systems like the one incorporated on the MiG-35 are capable of passive detection of heat from air resistance on a missile nose cone. Coupled with laser range-finding or other techniques, infrared search and track offers a potential fire control solution, too. While IRST has some operational disadvantages, it has the potential to be a formidable new weapon.
- Ultra-long-range missiles. According to the Air Force, new missiles are under development that will cut into some Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile and stealth tactics. Longer-range adversary missiles will make fighter aircraft speed crucial because it enables the Lockheed Martin/Boeing F-22 Raptor to engage at longer ranges with the same effect.

These are just some of the technical trends relevant to conventional deterrence as it relates to the ability to conduct air strikes. Many of these technologies debuted in rudimentary form years ago, and most are in the inventory or well within reach of the U.S. and Western partners. Together, they open tactical possibilities that present a near-even match with current U.S. fighters.

http://www.upi.com/Security_Industr...air-combat-capabilities/UPI-74401238183811/2/

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
Russian talk

Hi InViNCiBlE
I'm just not a believer of Russian tech. Just too many unfinished projects, failed timetables, etc to take a story like this as even a possibility.

Together, Russia and China have 12 open military-aircraft production lines.
Be interesting to see a list of aircraft flowing off these production lines and then read about the Russian ones being late.

A.V.

two things have plagued the russians after the fall of the soviet union which has led to the delay and unfinished projects
1. finances and the reason is obvious no need to explain
2.the human resource at the ground level although there enough technicians at the high end severe shortage of man power has hampered projects and delayed things

now that things are looking up is because the finances are put in place and the companies are better maintained than say the 90s
and also russia has entered into jvs in a lot of projects with india,italy, france this will help in eliminating manpower shortages and also technical hitches

because of these i think things in the next decade will be different than the past has been

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
First they need to make something equivalent to the Raptor before dreaming of topping the charts.
And I don't visualize them doing that.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
Invi, I have great respect for Russian designers but I have to admit that I dont really see anyone touching the USAF in the next couple of decades. While Russian aircraft are more maneuverable and can take more punishment, the USAF is decades ahead in Avionics and more importantly in Pilot training.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
First they need to make something equivalent to the Raptor before dreaming of topping the charts.
And I don't visualize them doing that.
Given them trillions to splurge on and the Russians would have made something better than the Raptor and put up a "Viable" Missile defence shield. People tend to look at Russias failure and forget it successes, while no one looks at the US failures!

threadbrowser

I dont think i'll be holding my breath any time soon. The Russians are a full generation behind and the gap is ever growing.
Let them introduce a viable (comparable to a AESA equipped Typhoon as the future tranches will soon be) 4.5th gen fighter in multi squadron strength first.
Then we can see if any realistic program with regular test flights starts up for a 5th gen full stealth super cruising fighter (Pak-fa and so on).

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well different weapons are developed for different reasons. They way u use it determines its success and failure.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I dont think i'll be holding my breath any time soon. The Russians are a full generation behind and the gap is ever growing.
Let them introduce a viable (comparable to a AESA equipped Typhoon as the future tranches will soon be) 4.5th gen fighter in multi squadron strength first.
Then we can see if any realistic program with regular test flights starts up for a 5th gen full stealth super cruising fighter (Pak-fa and so on).
The Su 35 will be the Typhoon slayer, not only that the Su 30 MKI compared well against the Typhoon and once equipped with an AESA can match it. The russians are good in 4.5gen type, they just need a 5th gen plane to prove themselves and I am sure they will spring one out in the coming years and it will be cost effective and lethal.

The Russians are not behind anyone per se, its just that they lacked the vision and resources post the Collapse of the USSR.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
The Su 35 will be the Typhoon slayer, not only that the Su 30 MKI compared well against the Typhoon and once equipped with an AESA can match it. The russians are good in 4.5gen type, they just need a 5th gen plane to prove themselves and I am sure they will spring one out in the coming years and it will be cost effective and lethal.

The Russians are not behind anyone per se, its just that they lacked the vision and resources post the Collapse of the USSR.
How can you be so sure about the 'Typhoon Slayer' part? MiG-35 and Su-30MKI are two completely different a/c.

I also hope Russia comes up with the 5th Gen fighter soon. After all India can only have 5th gen in her arsenal if Russia gets it done. And, I also think Russia is very good building combat a/c, period. But comparing their future a/cs with western a/cs based on only data, which is BTW almost same by claim, and assumptions is stretching it.

Zmey Smirnoff

How can you be so sure about the 'Typhoon Slayer' part? MiG-35 and Su-30MKI are two completely different a/c.
If you read carefully, you will see that he said SU-35, not MiG-35. Now, I'm willing to bet my lunch that we will see AESA Su-35 within a year. Not to mention that even PESA Su-35 is a very potent threat to EF-2000.

But comparing their future a/cs with western a/cs based on only data, which is BTW almost same by claim, and assumptions is stretching it.
Wut? What are you comparing with what? Do you have access to data on Russian "future aircraft"? :) Come on, now.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
If you read carefully, you will see that he said SU-35, not MiG-35. Now, I'm willing to bet my lunch that we will see AESA Su-35 within a year. Not to mention that even PESA Su-35 is a very potent threat to EF-2000.
The PESA of the Su is good only till the CAPTOR arrives.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Russian planes are good, Period! Give them cash and they will develop a F22 slayer too! Cash is the basis of all their problems and its a problem that wont go away soon, i.e until Oil hits up again!

To a previous poster: I meant the Su 35, but since u brought it on, Mig 35 aint that bad you know, arm it with an AESA and other goodies and it can do its job I believe.

Shiny Capstar

Professional

How will the Su-35 be the Typhoon slayer? By and large it has an inferior airframe and inferior avionics.

When have the MKI and the EF met properly in exercises anyway? They have only had a few mock 1-on-1 dogfights, and the results were never publicly released. Basically they just slapped each other on the back. (I heard that they broke pretty much even in these mock WVR battles but who knows for sure).

We wont see any Russian 5th Gen type in service until around 2015 at the earliest anyway, who knows what the PAK-FA will turn out like.

How are the Russians not behind anyone? A lack of resources after the break up meant that the already significant tech gap was expanded massively. No fault to the engineers themselves, actually on that matter haven't a lot of the old engineers started to retire anyway?

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Whole lot of technical demonstrators and operational VLO aircrafts have been completed by USA and they are still proceeding with caution w.r.t the next generation bomber. Will be hard to play catch up.

Many other nations could have gone ahead with similar programs however they did not.

As far as a raptor slayer is concerned what is the need to make one, just dont get slayed by it ;)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles