Russian Chechen War 1994-1996 - Pictures

SPIEZ

Country flag
Kunal what did equipment did the rebels use?

And why tanks for irregular/asymmetric warfare warfare?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal what did equipment did the rebels use?

And why tanks for irregular/asymmetric warfare warfare?
Regarding Infentry wepion, Almost same as Russian..

Rebel themselves had some tanks and BTRs too..

Russian use tanks for fire support even Jets, Russian CT ops in foreign lands includes heavy weaponry just like US..

Neil

Country flag
@ kunal sir.... sir is it true that initial russian strategy of using tanks in narrow streets took a very heavy toll of russia Armour ...?? russians had misjudged the firepower of the rebels and were completely overwhelmed due to it...?? saw it on history channel but cant ascertain facts...!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@ kunal sir.... sir is it true that initial russian strategy of using tanks in narrow streets took a very heavy toll of russia Armour ...?? russians had misjudged the firepower of the rebels and were completely overwhelmed due to it...?? saw it on history channel but cant ascertain facts...!!
Very true..

Those tank got into Urban area where Roads were blocked and RPG gunners, IED and RCL guns were waiting for ambush..

Notable for the New Year's Eve offensive in which Chechens virtually annihilated Russian armored thrusts into the city by ambushing their columns with small-arms and RPGs, funneling them into pre-targeted killing zones. They destroyed the forward and rear vehicles, preventing retreat, from high buildings and basements. Tanks were unable to raise or lower their turrets to return fire at those heights. More than 100 tanks were destroyed and hundreds killed, including one entire battalion. Ultimately the Russians won this first battle of Grozny, but at terrible cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil

Country flag
hey kunal sir....thankx a lott....!!

it was like afghanistan all over again for russia i guess....!!

btw at approx 1: 37 in the vid....brutal...!!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I think Russians are nuts.

This is what I heard from one of the guys, who has served in the Russian army. An entire Russian tank division got lost in Georgian during the Russia-Georgian conflict.
Reason: The tank commander was using Apple iphone as GPS!! I do not know the truth behind the story but it rings alarm-bells.

Neil

Country flag
^^ georgian war...?/ highly doubtful....they were using proxies and only supporting with artillery air or tank support i think...!!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
^^ Then it must be one of the proxy tank divisions.

I am not so good at picking up military terminology but the above post was the crux of story I heard.

IBSA

Country flag
Interesting see, that even after the USSR end, the Russian army was using the communist symbols in their uniforms yet.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Interesting see, that even after the USSR end, the Russian army was using the communist symbols in their uniforms yet.
I think they still use the red star even know.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles