Russia turns over production of long-range bombers to China

Impluseblade

A move by Russia to sell its production line of Tu-22M3 long-range bombers to China for US$1.5 billion to China was confirmed by the US-based US-China Economic and Security Review Commission two years ago and the bomber's name will be changed to the Hong-10, reports the state-run China News Service.

China's air force currently still uses the Tu-16 middle-range bomber introduced from the former Soviet Union for its main bombing missions. Though the plane is equipped missiles of the same level as US Tomahawk cruise missile, the long-range and all-weather subsonic cruise missile, its outdated design forced Russia to abandon them in the last decade.

China intended to buy Tu-22M3 bombers from Russia in 1998, but Moscow refused the deal out of concerns of changing the military balance in eastern Asia.

The Hong-10, whose components will all be produced in China with the exception of the engine, is expected to fly in the second half of next year, and the country will produce 36 aircraft in the first batch to be delivered to the air force. One of world's fastest long-range bombers which can also carry atomic weapons, the plane can cover the South China Sea, East China Sea and even the western Pacific.

The bomber reportedly has the range to break through the first island chain of the Pacific, an assumed line of defense against China ranging from Japan in the north to the Philippines in the south. The plane can also be refueled in mid-air to allow for longer-range missions.

-- Is it true? If so, what a waste of money! What should we buy some old technology and the engine is still not included? Has Russia also exported Tu-22 to India? I can foresee that every country in Asia will own Tu-22 in 10 years, just like Su-30

Zebra

Country flag
When it comes about US, few Indians do have habit to jump with their wooden sward that US always sale/ gift/ donate weapons to Pakistan, so no to US.

But they hardly say a single word about this kind of Russian deals, I wonder. :rolleyes:

cinoti

Tihar Jail
Banned
A move by Russia to sell its production line of Tu-22M3 long-range bombers to China for US$1.5 billion to China was confirmed by the US-based US-China Economic and Security Review Commission two years ago and the bomber's name will be changed to the Hong-10, reports the state-run China News Service.

China's air force currently still uses the Tu-16 middle-range bomber introduced from the former Soviet Union for its main bombing missions. Though the plane is equipped missiles of the same level as US Tomahawk cruise missile, the long-range and all-weather subsonic cruise missile, its outdated design forced Russia to abandon them in the last decade.

China intended to buy Tu-22M3 bombers from Russia in 1998, but Moscow refused the deal out of concerns of changing the military balance in eastern Asia.

The Hong-10, whose components will all be produced in China with the exception of the engine, is expected to fly in the second half of next year, and the country will produce 36 aircraft in the first batch to be delivered to the air force. One of world's fastest long-range bombers which can also carry atomic weapons, the plane can cover the South China Sea, East China Sea and even the western Pacific.

The bomber reportedly has the range to break through the first island chain of the Pacific, an assumed line of defense against China ranging from Japan in the north to the Philippines in the south. The plane can also be refueled in mid-air to allow for longer-range missions.

-- Is it true? If so, what a waste of money! What should we buy some old technology and the engine is still not included? Has Russia also exported Tu-22 to India? I can foresee that every country in Asia will own Tu-22 in 10 years, just like Su-30
Very low class internet rumor, proven to be IMpossible. Tu-160 was the offer but none interested.

Country flag
India use to lease this bomber. The Russians are using blackjack and tu-95 as their mainstay now.

pmaitra

When it comes about US, few Indians do have habit to jump with their wooden sward that US always sale/ gift/ donate weapons to Pakistan, so no to US.

But they hardly say a single word about this kind of Russian deals, I wonder. :rolleyes:
Russia and PRC has plenty of concurrences of interests. PRC certainly deserves this, way more than India. India is still acting like a wimp, and not taking a firm stand in international politics. A country like India that lacks a backbone, should stay away from long range bombers anyway, and not worry about Russia giving Tupolev-22M3 to PRC. PRC has surely matured enough, and is willing to take a stand, while India, at most, will simply abstain, so as not to upset the West, most of who, barring the US, are quite irrelevant.

Stop cribbing about PRC's new Russian origin bombers guys. Those are meant for grown ups, not for teenagers like India is at the moment.

J20!

Country flag
Since only the back channel news outlets are pushing this story, imma have to call BULL SH!T!!!! This sounds like more of that "ex-Varyag has no arrestor cables" crap, or that inspired writtings on a "Chinese Su35 purchase". Both of which. if y'all care to check, turned out to be mule manure.

Let me know when Jane's and Aviation weekly start reporting this, otherwise rename the thread "more crappy Russian reporting".

Last edited:

GromHellscream

Fake news. Even if it is true, the product line of Tu22 has been closed in Russia for a long time, and it will cost us at least 10 years to produce it by knowing all details.

Zebra

Country flag
Russia and PRC has plenty of concurrences of interests. PRC certainly deserves this, way more than India. India is still acting like a wimp, and not taking a firm stand in international politics. A country like India that lacks a backbone, should stay away from long range bombers anyway, and not worry about Russia giving Tupolev-22M3 to PRC. PRC has surely matured enough, and is willing to take a stand, while India, at most, will simply abstain, so as not to upset the West, most of who, barring the US, are quite irrelevant.

Stop cribbing about PRC's new Russian origin bombers guys. Those are meant for grown ups, not for teenagers like India is at the moment.
pmaitra, A country who will get (in near future) nearly 270 mkis, 126 Rafales and 200+ PAK-FA still you consider as a teenager only.

And as of you said that PRC has surely matured enough.
Here in India the sick government do not want these things and they are not ready to prepare India as per the current situation/ status which it deserves. Otherwise there is no reason for India to consider as a teenager only.

One of the top 10 military power, in such a location on map and the financial status of India is good enough to take a stand in geopolitical issues.

But main problem is the current GoI always wants India to stay at low profile and keep a blind eye on nearly everything else. Unfortunately.

pmaitra

pmaitra, A country who will get (in near future) nearly 270 mkis, 126 Rafales and 200+ PAK-FA still you consider as a teenager only.

And as of you said that PRC has surely matured enough.
Here in India the sick government do not want these things and they are not ready to prepare India as per the current situation/ status which it deserves. Otherwise there is no reason for India to consider as a teenager only.

One of the top 10 military power, in such a location on map and the financial status of India is good enough to take a stand in geopolitical issues.

But main problem is the current GoI always wants India to stay at low profile and keep a blind eye on nearly everything else. Unfortunately.
Yes.

If you see my post, I have given a reason for it. It is lack of a consistent and clear foreign policy, and trying hard not to upset other powers, which, in my opinion, is rather juvenile.

270 MKIs, 126 Rafales, etc., have done nothing, and I say again, nothing, to change India's dithering in international fora. For a mute spectator like India, 'teenager' comes across as apt, the way I see it. I would like to see India grow a pair, but right now, it is a - well, for the third time, a teenager.

Zebra

Country flag
Yes.

If you see my post, I have given a reason for it. It is lack of a consistent and clear foreign policy, and trying hard not to upset other powers, which, in my opinion, is rather juvenile.

270 MKIs, 126 Rafales, etc., have done nothing, and I say again, nothing, to change India's dithering in international fora. For a mute spectator like India, 'teenager' comes across as apt, the way I see it. I would like to see India grow a pair, but right now, it is a - well, for the third time, a teenager.
OK. It in GoI's hand to make or change the foreign policy. What about that the GoI is not ready for it.

GoI is trying hard not to upset other powers---> lol, for what? What GoI will achieve by doing that? In fact I think they should try to do as much as they can. No need to shy about any country.

For me it looks like one person got a nice beautiful wife and he is not giving her a beautiful dress just bcz few others may upset.

If GoI wants then India can go hell much more ahead. But as I said GoI is not ready for it.

Anyway, please give few more names of this kind of teenager countries. I mean for example, give few more names....., if you do not mind.

no smoking

Country flag
When most of the planes in your list are produced or technically controlled by foreign suppliers, maybe it is fair to say "a teenager".

It is not india government, it is the fault of whole country. When you are relying on foreign investment to afford your financial deficit and business investment, what can gov do?

With one of the top 10 military power, you cannot shoot any other power at any time you like. So basically, any power can ignore you in this location since you don't have any other card to play.

If you want to play this big game, you have to play with money or gun which means billions of dollars expense each year. What you expect your gov to do? Declaring war on anyone who is not listening to you? When you get nothing else to offer, it is helpless for any gov to play as a tough guy!

Zebra

Country flag
When most of the planes in your list are produced or technically controlled by foreign suppliers, maybe it is fair to say "a teenager".
lol, Dude, I am talking about mki, Rafale and PAK-FA.

Among these a/cs which are technically controlled by whom? Does it will effect in any future war? How come then.

It is not india government, it is the fault of whole country. When you are relying on foreign investment to afford your financial deficit and business investment, what can gov do?
Let Modi get in, then see the difference. It is the ruling (sick) GoI's fault and not the whole country's.

And if it is the country's fault then I have to say that they had elected the wrong party which is in GoI. In that way yes, you are right.

BTW, I would like to see any source or link article, for this (red colored) part please.

With one of the top 10 military power, you cannot shoot any other power at any time you like.
So what? Does it make any difference?

So basically, any power can ignore you in this location since you don't have any other card to play.
Why not, any body can ignore, btw did you saw Chinese reactions after the Agni-5 test?

If you want to play this big game, you have to play with money or gun which means billions of dollars expense each year. What you expect your gov to do? Declaring war on anyone who is not listening to you? When you get nothing else to offer, it is helpless for any gov to play as a tough guy!
I wants that, GoI should and must spend those billions. At the end it is worth to do so.

Dude, here no one is talking about a war or attacking anybody, which you addressed twice in your post.

And your country is spending in defense much more than most of other countries and it have one of the largest defense budget in the world, does it mean China is preparing for a war?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
China has bought Tupolev Tu-22 production line from Russia

A knowledgeable friend called to say China had bought off the entire production line of the -Tu-22M3M -- the latest variant of of the 'Backfire' strategic bomber from Russia for-$1.5 billion, just $500 million more, as he reminded me,-than what India will be paying to acquire the Pilatus propeller-driven trainer aircraft from Switzerland.-This little snippet for anybody who doubts that-India is getting things strategically so horribly-wrong!!

-Bharat Karnad

http://bharatkarnad.com/2012/12/11/tu-22-m3m-line-for-china-admiral-joshi-general-bikram/

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
re: China has bought Tupolev Tu-22 production line from Russia

one Pair for Pakistan plzzzz

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles