Russia to call tender for foreign helicopter carrier

bhramos

Country flag
Russia to call tender for foreign helicopter carrier

KALININGRAD, September 11 (RIA Novosti) - Russia plans to hold an international tender for the purchase of a helicopter carrier, involving France, Spain and the Netherlands, the country's Navy chief said on Friday.
"I can confirm that negotiations are being held, but there is likely to be a tender," Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said, adding that other countries could also be involved.

He said there were no negotiations with the United States - "for understandable reasons," adding that the U.S. authorities were "highly sensitive" about the transfer of new technology, especially dual-purpose technology.
The admiral stressed, however, that technology transfer was a key condition for buying a helicopter carrier abroad.
He said the Russian Navy needed a new warship to enhance its combat effectiveness.
"Take, for example, last August, Georgia. Everything that we did in the space of 26 hours at the time, this ship will do within 40 minutes," Vysotsky said.
He said the new warship would require appropriate port infrastructure, which had yet to be built.
The Navy chief also denied reports that Russia had plans to buy submarines in Germany.
"There is no question of buying [German] submarines. Actually, the Germans do not make diesel-electric submarines," he said.
However, he added that Russia might be interested in acquiring advanced submarine engine technology, but it was not necessarily German.

Russia to call tender for foreign helicopter carrier | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

Country flag
what is happening to russia ? helicopters,warships and subs bought elsewhere???

bhramos

Country flag
The member countries participating this tender are
France - Its ok decent navy.
Spain- Its not bad
Netherlands- I've never heard anything about its navy.
why is US not participating this tender???
hehehehehehhe

Vladimir79

Professional
Funny thing that the Spanish carrier also comes with a ski jump. Juan Carlos can carry 30 aerocraft in carrier mode. It would be rather nice to have a dual purpose LHD that can be used as both landing infantry and or strategic aviation carrier. Stick MiG-29K and you have quite a high seas threat. I rather like the idea!

Vladimir79

Professional
what is happening to russia ? helicopters,warships and subs bought elsewhere???
The article states the sub deal is not reality. We plan on having aircraft carriers and we can't wait 20 years to build them ourselves. This is the best option but having an LHD that can launch MiG-29K is going to require major deck remodification. Unless, PAK FA is going to come in a VTOL version. I do rather like the idea of pocket carriers like this size rather than US super carriers.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles