Russia handing out medals to British war veterans

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Thought some users of this site would like to comment on the following story. Very convenient, or suspicious, or which ever adjective you choose to use, time to be announcing this. Also, could only find this story on ITAR-TASS, which is a bit of a fail for the Russian ministry of propaganda.

ITAR-TASS: Russia - Russian awards presented to British veterans of Arctic convoys
It's only proper that the Russian state honor some of the people that has helped it during the most trying period of its history. The timing however may raise some eyebrows. I am tempted to be sarcastic with this: What is this, an attempt from Putin to follow Hitler's script during WW2 by trying to drive a wedge between the Brits and the Americans? Or maybe the Billionaire buddies of Putin has lobbied hard for him to extend some sort of olive branch to the Brits so that they can keep their posh London apartments...?

apple

It's only proper that the Russian state honor some of the people that has helped it during the most trying period of its history. The timing however may raise some eyebrows. I am tempted to be sarcastic with this: What is this, an attempt from Putin to follow Hitler's script during WW2 by trying to drive a wedge between the Brits and the Americans? Or maybe the Billionaire buddies of Putin has lobbied hard for him to extend some sort of olive branch to the Brits so that they can keep their posh London apartments...?
Good points. The Russian government's media department is quite shameless, particularly in regards to the dead, and incompentent in dealing with foreign media.

jouni

I live in Finnish Lapland. I have always wondered why Finnish troops operating in the rear of the red army didn't blow up the Murmansk rail road more often. I think it was the same reason Finnish troops did not attack Leningrad: our commandets knew both how to start and how to end a war.

apple

I live in Finnish Lapland. I have always wondered why Finnish troops operating in the rear of the red army didn't blow up the Murmansk rail road more often. I think it was the same reason Finnish troops did not attack Leningrad: our commandets knew both how to start and how to end a war.
Repairing damaged railways doesn't take so long. Or, at least that's what I've read... unsurprisingly have never done it myself. Only a small percentage of the military aid the Soviet Union received from the West passed through Murmansk anyway.

Still haven't noticed this story in the western media. Good try Putin ;-)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles