Russia Formalises Su-35 Offer To India

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I WILL NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE THAT A CHINESE STEALTH JET WILL JOIN PLAAF FOR A PRACTICAL BATTLE FIELD USE (may be even pakistan in small nos) MUCH BEFORE INDIA COMES EVEN CLOSE TO IT.
LOL! Are you serious about the bolded part? Those people are taking multiple soft loans from Chinese to even assemble JF-17s right now and you think China would simply gift a 5G stealth fighter to them? JXX is totally different from JF-17 dude. China would have invested billions in its research, development, testing and induction which automatically means that the jet will be very expensive. Let's face it; it won't be anything less than $ 90-100 million/plane at the least.

You think Chinese would simply gift such expensive fighters to Pakistan of all the places? I use the term gift because it is anybody's guess as to how many stealth fighters can Pakistan afford in a defense budget of $ 8 billion a year. Pakistan won't be going for a stealth fighter for at least 20 years (if it can make it till then). J-10B and JF-17 are totally new platforms that PAF intends to induct to replace old Mirage III/Vs, J-7, J-8, Q-5 Fantan etc which forms 90% of PAF fleet. And single engine easy-to-maintain and easy-to-upgrade 4G fighters are the only viable options they have.

Even Pakistani members (practical ones and military professionals on forums) clearly stress that PAF will first completely learn these 2 platforms. In 2008 Mushy visited China and ordered 36 J-10Bs with a possible option for 24 more while the JF-17 deal is something between 250-300 of them to replace all those. PAF fleet from 2015 onwards to future is likely to be:

60 F-16 Blk.52
40 F-16 MLU (A and B till their upgrade lasts)
60 J-10Bs
300 JF-17s

Last edited:

Oracle

Su-35 is a bomber with a range of 4000 kms, while Su-30 MKI is an air superiority fighter. Even a range increase of 1000 kms can do wonders. Thanks to Kunal for this!

sandeepdg

People are completely misreading this offer from russia. They have absolutely no intention or hope to sell it to India.Russia is just preparing a ground to justify its sell of Su 35 to china while later will be termed as a downgraded version to pacify india. We like it or not many powerful people within the russian decision making machinery largely favor chinese communistic presence & the depth and sincerity of TOT with china is something which india can only dream. keep trumpeting indo russian honeymoon tale & bashing the evil USA untill we become a completely impotent nation.We rather choosing a road to find friend in europe & US always did our best to stay away from them & now we have no one with us.Its very clear MRCA winner will cheat us. In Su 30mki tot we are very badly cheated FGFA will be a even bigger cheating saga.The end will be the same story ...billions of dollars will leave our country.Almost all the top people in DRDO , HAL and other defense sector management elements are cent percent corrupted.They are twisting & turning the words to make the agreement look suitable and nice to non technical people while the real technicians & scientists have no say in the selection & negotiation process,ironocally they are the people supposed to have the best idea & say about the technology. You all may curse me but only time will tell how far i am wrong & hopefully i am wrong but at this moment i am very sure that a long time back the basic blue print of the best of therussian aerospace tech has been shipped to china. I WILL NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE THAT A CHINESE STEALTH JET WILL JOIN PLAAF FOR A PRACTICAL BATTLE FIELD USE (may be even pakistan in small nos) MUCH BEFORE INDIA COMES EVEN CLOSE TO IT. China has a huge lobby in russia & no matter how much india tries for political hob nobing we will ever remain the second choice. Indigenous Kaveri , a good aesa , air to air weapons , mass produced decent cruise missile of 1000 km range , shells , bombs & rockets for our artillery & tanks & navy & iaf , well under ground robast comand & control systems are the only way to deter chinese which no pak fa can.
That's a really outrageous opinion of yours' ! Where was Europe and US since 1947, since when we already fought 4 full scale and one short war with our adversaries on both fronts ? Who helped us in our industrialization, when we almost started from scratch in many areas ? Who helped us equipments, technology, infrastructure, capital in the run up to what we are today ? US on the contrary despised this nation as being a communist stooge, backward, a land of snake charmers and so, and was ever suspicious of us, so much so that it helped our western adversary in an all out manner in both the major wars that we fought with them providing them with all supplies, other than hard cash, which it does even today without any remorse. And Europe, being a part of NATO was nothing more than an US stooge till recently, and most countries there still are. Russia values the relationship with us as much as it does with China, since it knows these two markets are biggest revenue earners for them and will continue to be so for quite sometime. Don't forget that most of the cutting edge equipment that we needed most, was provided for only by the Russians and no one else. All this US-Europe bonhomie with India is not even a decade old, since they have realized that the day is not far when we will eclipse their financial might, and if not, at least we will be on par with them. You don't trust a country that supported us in all our endeavors, provided us with much needed aid when we needed it most, and you have more faith in a country that's started cozying up to us hardly not even a decade back ?? Strange, and weird to say the least !!!

Its an undeniable fact that indigenousness in design, development and production is of supreme importance, no one's denying that. But when we started out, there was only nation standing by our side, and they continue to do so, and I think you very well know which that is !

sandeepdg

People are completely misreading this offer from russia. They have absolutely no intention or hope to sell it to India.Russia is just preparing a ground to justify its sell of Su 35 to china while later will be termed as a downgraded version to pacify india. We like it or not many powerful people within the russian decision making machinery largely favor chinese communistic presence & the depth and sincerity of TOT with china is something which india can only dream. keep trumpeting indo russian honeymoon tale & bashing the evil USA untill we become a completely impotent nation.We rather choosing a road to find friend in europe & US always did our best to stay away from them & now we have no one with us.Its very clear MRCA winner will cheat us. In Su 30mki tot we are very badly cheated FGFA will be a even bigger cheating saga.The end will be the same story ...billions of dollars will leave our country.Almost all the top people in DRDO , HAL and other defense sector management elements are cent percent corrupted.They are twisting & turning the words to make the agreement look suitable and nice to non technical people while the real technicians & scientists have no say in the selection & negotiation process,ironocally they are the people supposed to have the best idea & say about the technology. You all may curse me but only time will tell how far i am wrong & hopefully i am wrong but at this moment i am very sure that a long time back the basic blue print of the best of therussian aerospace tech has been shipped to china. I WILL NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE THAT A CHINESE STEALTH JET WILL JOIN PLAAF FOR A PRACTICAL BATTLE FIELD USE (may be even pakistan in small nos) MUCH BEFORE INDIA COMES EVEN CLOSE TO IT. China has a huge lobby in russia & no matter how much india tries for political hob nobing we will ever remain the second choice. Indigenous Kaveri , a good aesa , air to air weapons , mass produced decent cruise missile of 1000 km range , shells , bombs & rockets for our artillery & tanks & navy & iaf , well under ground robast comand & control systems are the only way to deter chinese which no pak fa can.
That's a really outrageous opinion of yours' ! Where was Europe and US since 1947, since when we already fought 4 full scale and one short war with our adversaries on both fronts ? Who helped us in our industrialization, when we almost started from scratch in many areas ? Who helped us equipments, technology, infrastructure, capital in the run up to what we are today ? US on the contrary despised this nation as being a communist stooge, backward, a land of snake charmers and so, and was ever suspicious of us, so much so that it helped our western adversary in an all out manner in both the major wars that we fought with them providing them with all supplies, other than hard cash, which it does even today without any remorse. And Europe, being a part of NATO was nothing more than an US stooge till recently, and most countries there still are. Russia values the relationship with us as much as it does with China, since it knows these two markets are biggest revenue earners for them and will continue to be so for quite sometime. Don't forget that most of the cutting edge equipment that we needed most, was provided for only by the Russians and no one else. All this US-Europe bonhomie with India is not even a decade old, since they have realized that the day is not far when we will eclipse their financial might, and if not, at least we will be on par with them. You don't trust a country that supported us in all our endeavors, provided us with much needed aid when we needed it most, and you have more faith in a country that's started cozying up to us hardly not even a decade back ?? Strange, and weird to say the least !!!

Its an undeniable fact that indigenousness in design, development and production is of supreme importance, no one's denying that. But when we started out, there was only nation standing by our side, and they continue to do so, and I think you very well know which that is !

Falcon

Su-35BM Crazy stunt landing

Another view

Last edited by a moderator:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Su-35 is a bomber with a range of 4000 kms, while Su-30 MKI is an air superiority fighter. Even a range increase of 1000 kms can do wonders. Thanks to Kunal for this!
Where did you get that idea? Su-35 BM is not a bomber. It is the closest thing to a 4.5th gen air-superiority fighter that Russia has currently. It matches the Su-30 MKI in some details and outclasses it in a few.
However, neither the IN nor the IAF needs it now. The Super-30 MKIs will outclass the Su-35 BM mostly and the PAK-FA will be head and shoulders above.

Rehan's_Ninjato

Instead of buying a squadron of Su-35 I guess we should order 4 squadrons of Sukhoi Super-30 MKI to ramp up the total number to 350....HAL needs to speed up its production as well...The present rate sucks..

Neil

Country flag
Instead of buying a squadron of Su-35 I guess we should order 4 squadrons of Sukhoi Super-30 MKI to ramp up the total number to 350....HAL needs to speed up its production as well...The present rate sucks..
HAL is never going to change....relying on HAL to increase the delivery is futile...

i would say why not induct 4-5 squads of su-35 directly from russia...its a stop gap measure in IAF...we can retire migs much faster savings are boys...plus upgrading are su30 fleet is gonna take time...

how much does su35 cost....??

mikhail

Country flag
HAL is never going to change....relying on HAL to increase the delivery is futile...

i would say why not induct 4-5 squads of su-35 directly from russia...its a stop gap measure in IAF...we can retire migs much faster savings are boys...plus upgrading are su30 fleet is gonna take time...

how much does su35 cost....??
HAL has got its hand full of deliveries for the next 4-5 years.n going by its nature i don't think hal can commit on any other thing(manufacturing of license built su-35bms) right now or in the near future.
yeah we do need to retire those mig-21s out of IAF.but i don't think replacing them with su-35s will do any good coz mig-21s r exclusively for interception role nsu-35s r primarily air superiority fighters.so the best way to replace those migs is to go for the 3-4 squadrons of mig-35s.that'll serve our purpose untill the tejas mk-2 version arrives.in the mean time we can cancel some su-30mkis orders n rather give order for 3-4 squadrons of su-35bms.a mixture of su-30mkis n su-35bms will ive the IAF complete air superiority over our immediate adversaries.
btw unit price of su-35bms r 45-65million $(2008 estimate)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Too many types of aircraft, too many headaches for spares management, repairs, overhaul and so on.

Galaxy

Country flag
Why we will need Su-35 when we already have Su-30 MKI which is very close to Su-35 in capability and features. Not to forget we will get PAK-FA which is 0.5 generation ahead than Su-35 by 2018. We don't need at all.

IMO, We need Su-34 or Tupolev Tu-95/160 strategic bomber which can hit HAN Populated North-East coast of China when needed as our current & future fighter jets inventory won't able to hit those areas.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles