Russia Formalises Su-35 Offer To India

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Vladimir sir,
India is facing shortage in the strike and interceptor component in it's airforce. The Mid weight category and the Light weight category are obsolete so according to me Su 35 will be an over kill to replace these category of fighters. I would like your opinion about this.

Thank you

Vladimir79

Professional
Vladimir sir,
India is facing shortage in the strike and interceptor component in it's airforce. The Mid weight category and the Light weight category are obsolete so according to me Su 35 will be an over kill to replace these category of fighters. I would like your opinion about this.

Thank you
Is Su-35BM not an interceptor and strike aerocraft? That is the beauty of multi-roll. The reduced RCS and ECM package make it excellent for working in high-threat environments. The wide selection of lazer and GLONASS guided PGMs make it gr8 even for CAS. USAF decided a long time ago to make their fighters multi-roll and Su-35BM is really the most comprehensive design we have made for this purpose.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Is Su-35BM not an interceptor and strike aerocraft? That is the beauty of multi-roll. The reduced RCS and ECM package make it excellent for working in high-threat environments. The wide selection of lazer and GLONASS guided PGMs make it gr8 even for CAS. USAF decided a long time ago to make their fighters multi-roll and Su-35BM is really the most comprehensive design we have made for this purpose.
Sir but still even modification of Su 30 MKI can bring it upto those standards. It is still a heavy fighter. Yes I accept the aircraft is good. But the thing is we beed a fighter in a 18 tonne weight class and the lighter 10 tonne weight class to fill in the shoes of those obsolete aircrafts which we use. We need bomb trucks and Cannon fodder not the monster right now. We need a lo end fighter not the hi- end one sir.

peace123

instead of buying more air dominance role fighter india have to replace all jaguars and co. so iaf should go for something like rafale as it is an excellent mrca then we also have to replace mig21 with lca so insteasd of su-35 fighters like rafale, sh... should have the priority

Vladimir79

Professional
Sir but still even modification of Su 30 MKI can bring it upto those standards. It is still a heavy fighter. Yes I accept the aircraft is good. But the thing is we beed a fighter in a 18 tonne weight class and the lighter 10 tonne weight class to fill in the shoes of those obsolete aircrafts which we use. We need bomb trucks and Cannon fodder not the monster right now. We need a lo end fighter not the hi- end one sir.
We are not talking about buying a 100+, just a couple squadrons worth. It is around 18 tonnes in empty weight so there you go.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
It is an Russian attempt to sell and reap profit from last of flanker series fighter as russian are/will be moving to 5th generation fighter.
I believe this appemt would be futile.
I would also like to say that IAF is a cash rich organisation and maintaining 2-3 heavy class fighters won't be difficult for it.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
It is an Russian attempt to sell and reap profit from last of flanker series fighter as russian are/will be moving to 5th generation fighter.
Where do you get your ideas from ?

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
1. They have made quite a lot of money through the Flanker series aircraft and they deserve every bit of it for designing a magnificent bird.
2. VVS is not moving anywhere in the near future. They have placed billion $ orders for existing aircraft and upgrades, and I dont see them floating in cash that they will order 100 PAKFAs once it is finalized.
3. You cannot blame the Russians for trying. :p

I would also like to say that IAF is a cash rich organisation and maintaining 2-3 heavy class fighters won't be difficult for it.
I don't believe any branch of Indian Armed Forces can afford such luxury, nobody is floating in cash. Its the tax-payers hard earned money and I would definitely want them to spend it wisely.

Vladimir79

Professional
2. VVS is not moving anywhere in the near future. They have placed billion $ orders for existing aircraft and upgrades, and I dont see them floating in cash that they will order 100 PAKFAs once it is finalized.
3. You cannot blame the Russians for trying. :p
The latest purchases are just a stopgap until PAK FA is available. We will be replacing hundreds of aerocraft with it including MiG-31 and Su-27. Total demand will be well over 400 frames. By 2020 most of our fleet will be unservicable.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
The latest purchases are just a stopgap until PAK FA is available. We will be replacing hundreds of aerocraft with it including MiG-31 and Su-27. Total demand will be well over 400 frames. By 2020 most of our fleet will be unservicable.
Yes, but Russia has nowhere near the finances to achieve this in the current scenario.

Russian Air Force to cut officer staff by 30% - commander

I think you would know the real purpose for this better than me.

Vladimir79

Professional
Yes, but Russia has nowhere near the finances to achieve this in the current scenario.

Russian Air Force to cut officer staff by 30% - commander

I think you would know the real purpose for this better than me.
The purpose is to do away with inefficiency, incompetence, increase quality housing, training, and up pay three-fold. We will be spending more on VVS officers than ever before. GDP growth will be positive next year and once fossile fuels start increasing in price again, there will be ample funds to procure what we need.

bhramos

Country flag
yeah u are right brother, defenatly when gobal crisis over , then every body will run after development of their countries infrastructure automaticaly price of oil rises.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
The purpose is to do away with inefficiency, incompetence, increase quality housing, training, and up pay three-fold. We will be spending more on VVS officers than ever before. GDP growth will be positive next year and once fossile fuels start increasing in price again, there will be ample funds to procure what we need.
Can you please post a link to it, IF it is available? Because AFAIK, the reason was cost-cutting and by your logic, the costs of paying the rest of the officers will more than double.

shankarosky

Russia is re configuring her air force -changing from large number of cold war ere to a more quality biased fleet -the reduction of officer is just one of the manifestations of this change

bhramos

Country flag
reduction also includes reducing the contract pilots,
so that more the proffesionals remain in its force,

shankarosky

Russian forces have a quality manpower shortage .With break up of soviet union available manpower in new Russia is limited -so they are quickly moving from man power intensive soviet ere force to more modern mechanized type deployments mainly in ground forces but also in air and naval forces - slowly achieving the quality edge so badly needed to defend its huge borders effectively against NATO advances in east europe

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Russia is re configuring her air force -changing from large number of cold war ere to a more quality biased fleet -the reduction of officer is just one of the manifestations of this change
The question is, how much can they afford the change? They need large numbers of new planes, the updated Su27's are good, but they are running out of life. There are questions about the Migs, even the 'new' SMT's are the ones Algeria rejected over quality, planes that were refurbished (not new) after being left in storage for some time (after the Iraq order).

They are getting some new Su-35's, but it will be a few years yet. (When I say Su-35 I mean the 'new' Su-35, the much touted one. Not the one in present service). And they may get some Mig 35's (pretty much mandetory if they want to win the MMRCA deal). I don't think there is any deal for the updated Mig 31's, although I may be wrong. But these are small deals, not enough to replace the outdated aircraft.
I presume they are waiting for the PAK-FA, which they need to compete with thw American 5th Gen planes, both in any possible conflict and for future export deals (to keep their aeronautical industry up there). But that will be some wait, the prototype(s) haven't even flown yet. And considering the time it is taking to get comparitively familier Su-35's (yes they are different to the current Su's but against the PAK-FA sorting out manufacture of them shouldn't be that hard) and the like into mass production it will take a fair while for any large scale production of the PAK-FA.

Ah well, at this point, with the info we have, it is all theorising.

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Russian forces have a quality manpower shortage .With break up of soviet union available manpower in new Russia is limited -so they are quickly moving from man power intensive soviet ere force to more modern mechanized type deployments mainly in ground forces but also in air and naval forces - slowly achieving the quality edge so badly needed to defend its huge borders effectively against NATO advances in east europe
There is still quality manpower, they are just failing to attract that quality.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles