Russia declares right to deploy nuclear weapons to Crimea

bhramos

Country flag
Russia declares right to deploy nuclear weapons to Crimea - and may already have done so

Russia has said that it has the right to deploy nuclear weapons to Crimea, a year after Vladimir Putin seized the territory from Ukraine following a referendum.

Home to the strategic Black Sea port city of Sevastopol, which already housed Russia's fleet before the Ukrainian crisis erupted at the start of 2014, Crimea is significantly nearer central Europe than any nuclear base Russia is thought to control.

"I don't know if there are nuclear weapons there now," a Russian foreign ministry official told the Interfax news agency on Wednesday.

"I don't know about any plans, but in principle Russia can do it," said Mikhail Ulyanov, who is the head of the ministry's department on arms control.

The comments come at a highly sensitive time for international relations around the Black Sea, after Nato members Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey joined four other alliance states in a multinational naval exercise there on Tuesday.

The US, Canada, Germany and Italy also took part in the military drills, including an American flagship, the guided missile cruiser USS Vicksburg.

John Lough, from the Russia and Eurasia programme at international affairs thinktank Chatham House, said the comments were the latest in a series of loose statements by Russian officials about nuclear weapons.

"Nato countries find these troubling because in Cold War days Moscow was much more careful when talking about its nuclear capabilities," he said.

"This latest statement probably signals how Russia could respond to a move by the US to provide arms to Ukraine."

The warning also comes as Russia becomes increasingly bold in stating the details of how it took Crimea, an act still deemed illegal by most international bodies.

On Tuesday, it emerged that Mr Putin only permitted the people of Crimea to hold a referendum on joining Russia after an "unofficial poll" showed the majority would be likely to vote in favour of doing so.

The Russian state-run TV channel Rossiya One is preparing to run a documentary about the annexation entitled: "Crimea: The Road Back Home", and trailed parts of an interview with the President in which he made some startling revelations.

They included the moment he ordered officials to begin the process of seizing Crimea - the night of 22 February - long before the 16 March referendum.

He revealed that the decision to take Crimea came as a direct response to Ukraine ousting its pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovich - and that the operation to evacuate him involved heavy weapons "so that there wouldn't be much discussion about it".

Russia declares right to deploy nuclear weapons to Crimea - and may already have done so - Europe - World - The Independent

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: Russia declares right to deploy nuclear weapons to Crimea - and ma

The things are getting too serious to be taken lightly.

thethinker

Country flag
Apocalypse Soon: Doomsday Clock Moved to 3 Minutes to Midnight

The Doomsday Clock is now two minutes closer to midnight, thanks to the specter of climate change and unchecked nuclear proliferation.

The hands of the symbolic clock, managed by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board, were moved forward to 11.57 earlier this week, which means the board thinks "the probability of global catastrophe is very high." 12.00 signifies the apocalypse.

Originally constructed in 1945 as a predictor of nuclear catastrophe, the clock's keepers now consider factors like climate change and other scientific or technological threats to humanity as well. The Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board is managed by a board of sponsors that includes 17 Nobel Laureates.

Climate change and nuclear bombs set 'doomsday clock' on verge of midnight | Environment | The Guardian

Symbolic clock is now at three minutes to apocalypse, the darkest hour for humanity since the cold war

The symbolic doomsday clock moved to three minutes before midnight on Thursday because of the gathering dangers of climate change and nuclear proliferation, signalling the gravest threat to humanity since the throes of the cold war.

It was the closest the clock has come to midnight since 1984, when arms-control negotiations stalled and virtually all channels of communication between the US and the former Soviet Union closed down.
2014 officially the hottest year on record
Read more

"It is now three minutes to midnight," said Kennette Bennedict, the executive director of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, announcing the two-minute shift toward the midnight hour.

The move came as scientists sounded a warning about climate change for the second time in three years. The last move of the clock hands, from six minutes to five minutes to midnight, in 2012, was also because of climate change.

As the scientists noted last Thursday, 2014 was the hottest year in 130 years of systematic record keeping. Nine of the 10 hottest years on record have occurred since 2000.

But the scientists suggested that the greater danger lay in the failure of leaders to recognise and act on climate change.

"Stunning government failures have imperiled civilisations on a global scale," Benedict said. "World leaders have failed to act on a scale or at a speed to protect humanity from catastrophe."

sgarg

The problem is Americans are too sure of their victory in Ukraine. This is a clear sign of trouble.

The economic war on Russia after a US managed coup in Kiev are very troubling events.

It is unlikely Russia will back down as there is simply too much at stake. The war looks set to escalate.

sgarg

Diplomacy by USA is reduced to open threats. This is what the world has come to.

pmaitra

NATO ships are conducting a pea-cocking dance around Crimea, lead by the one who thinks he is the alpha male. If at all, Russia will not be deploying Topol-M ICBMs, like in the picture posted by @AVERAGE INDIAN, but short range tactical nukes capable of taking out a flotilla.

Last edited by a moderator:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
NATO ships are conducting a pea-cocking dance around Crimea, lead by the one who thinks he is the alpha male. If at all, Russia will not be deploying Topol-M ICBMs, like in the picture posted by @AVERAGE INDIAN, but short range tactical nukes capable of taking out a flotilla.
that picture is for making a statement :p realistically i think they will use backfires with Kh-22M/MA/nuclear to take out the flotilla

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Russia will not accommodate strategic nuclear missiles into occupied the Crimea. It is enough to have only nuclear warheads to"Iskander" and CM.

pmaitra

Russia will not accommodate strategic nuclear missiles into occupied the Crimea. It is enough to have only nuclear warheads to"Iskander" and CM.
Russia never accommodated strategic nuclear missiles in occupied Crimea. Whatever it allegedly did, strategic or tactical, it did in liberated Crimea. Big difference.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Last year at the height of crisis in Crimea, Iskander missiles were deployed. That's what is there. Enough for any attempted NATO "advance"

pmaitra

Last year at the height of crisis in Crimea, Iskander missiles were deployed. That's what is there. Enough for any attempted NATO "advance"
We can only speculate as to what those warheads were. Russia also has non nuclear thermobaric bomb that can do about the same damage as a small tactical nuke.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Russia never accommodated strategic nuclear missiles in occupied Crimea. Whatever it allegedly did, strategic or tactical, it did in liberated Crimea. Big difference.
Do you have something to say on the merits or again spoil the smell of the air? Russia has no reason to place strategic nuclear missiles. After the occupation of the рeninsula, it is easy to control all the Black sea.

pmaitra

Do you have something to say on the merits or again spoil the smell of the air? Russia has no reason to place strategic nuclear missiles. After the occupation of the рeninsula, it is easy to control all the Black sea.
I have a lot to say on the merits, but I am not obligated to hold your political position. For me, Crimea is now liberated. Period.

Answer my questions in the other thread.
Answer this: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/europe-russia/61895-civil-war-ukraine-852.html#post1017222
Answer this: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/europe-russia/61895-civil-war-ukraine-852.html#post1017227

Akim

Professional
Country flag
I have a lot to say on the merits, but I am not obligated to hold your political position. For me, Crimea is now liberated.
We are talking about the military component. I shit on your political views. For you the Crimea is liberated, for me - occupied. We are talking here about the feasibility of placing nuclear weapons. The Soviet Union is not without reason stopped there for the NPP construction.

pmaitra

We are talking about the military component. I shit on your political views. For you the Crimea is liberated, for me - occupied. We are talking here about the feasibility of placing nuclear weapons. The Soviet Union is not without reason stopped there for the NPP construction.
Yes, then talk about the feasibility of nuclear weapons in Crimea, instead of talking about "liberated Crimea" or "occupied Crimea," and "shit."

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Yes, then talk about the feasibility of nuclear weapons in Crimea, instead of talking about "liberated Crimea" or "occupied Crimea," and "shit."

Therefore, I repeat. In the occupied Crimea logical place only mobile Iskanders. Airfields under attack in the first place.

pmaitra

Therefore, I repeat. In the occupied Crimea logical place only mobile Iskanders. Airfields under attack in the first place.
Ok, then I will also repeat, Crimea is not longer occupied. Crimea is liberated.

jouni

This nuclearcweapon BS is the last nail on Russias coffin. They are the North Korea of Europe. ( note to Indian members, North Korea is considered underdeveloped isolated country in Europe ).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles