Russia, America and the New Cold War

jouni

Niinistö understand Russias worries. Currently Finland has all the negatives of NATO country and non of the positives. We are enemy in Russians eyes but we do not enjoy the NATO shield.

pmaitra

"West is the enemy of Russia", funny that without help from the west there would be no Russia, Wehrmacht would have defeated Red Army without help from the allies. Russia would now be Germans lebensraum. So soon they forget. Of course Greater Finland would have gotten a piece also ;)
Without the participation of the USSR, the Axis would have won.

In any case, why talk about Wehrmacht? What about Finland? Oh, yeah, I know - it would have gotten humped by the Slavs, just like it got humped by the Vikings.

And greater Finland? Do you even know where it is? What about Finland proper?

Either way, it is mostly well within the Russian Federation, with a tiny speck outside of it.

pmaitra

Hungary Seeks Regional Alliance to Defend from US

Hungary Parliament Speaker says US undermines European governments. East-Central European states affected by this should stand together.

• "...there is not a square centimeter of area that falls outside of their interests."
  • "...apart from them no other country can have sovereignty."
  • "...we are moving like a pawn that does not want to play by the Americans' rules."
  • "We need to find allies elsewhere."
  • "Petty, selfish people not suitable for the political arena are twisting the fate of countries and peoples from North Africa to the Middle East and Europe."

Tamas Pindroch (Magyar Hirlap) [SOURCE]

"It is hopeless, to make diplomatic efforts [towards US]"

For more on the Hungarian situation see here and here.

The article below is a very recent interview with Hungary Parliament Speaker - the third highest dignitary in the country - Laszlo Köver.

We've said before Hungary government statements are still tame. They aren't any longer.

Köver goes all out here. There are Iranian politicians who aren't this anti-American.

Being candid he does much to reveal the position Hungary government believes itself to be in:
  • Hungary government has defended Hungarian sovereignty.
  • This has caused it to become target of US regime change ambitions.
  • It would be pointless to try to get back in US good graces.
  • Instead Hungary should ally Slovakia, Romania, Czech Republic and other countries in the region in similar position.
  • It should continue to pursue good relations with Germany - perhaps in hope Germany will mediate between Washington and Budapest.

This is an abridged version of an article that originally appeared in Magyar Hirlap. It was translated by Richard Field at The Budapest Beacon.

Pressure from the United States is increasing, while the European Union appears to be restrained and is not attacking us. How do you interpret these events?

The recent pronouncements of American deputy foreign secretary Sarah Sewall are very revealing.

She has spoken openly and stridently about how the United States, interpreted quite broadly and specifically, is devoting millions of dollars in the interest of national security to executing various action plans in two dozen Eastern-European countries.

Part of these are certainly EU member states, and the rest may be aspiring member states, although Sewall only mentioned the Czech Republic and us by name.

So far it appears that we are not the only ones to "put bad wood on the fire" but presumably Slovakia as well, but we cannot rule out the results of the Romanian presidential election playing a role in this.

From this we can deduce a self definition of power that from the national security point of view there is not a square centimeter of area that falls outside of their interests.

From this it also follows that apart from them no other country can have sovereignty.

The recent events cannot be distinguished from when they monitored the conversations of the leading politician of the Western European alliance, Angela Merkel.

It is a logical assumption that among the United States' allies, the field of activities that can be qualified as unconventional affect not only Hungary but all of Europe.

They boasted that they "invested" millions of dollars in changes in Ukraine.

We have to look at the problems of the free trade and investment agreement between the Union and America as well.

In this way it is apparent that a world political power struggle is under way, whose stake is not only the fate of Hungary but all of Europe, but the chance of European nation-state sovereignty and true democracy.

What can we do in this situation? Can we do anything at all?

We can shake off the moral burden of believing the solution is in our hands.

It is completely unnecessary, because it is hopeless, to make diplomatic efforts in the interest of proving to the Americans – to transpose the old communist phraseology to suit our situation today—we are not revisionist deviationists, and it is not necessary to send troops in the spirit of the Brezhnev doctrine to regulate us.

We are not what is at stake. On the chess table we have only been assigned the role of pawn. But we are moving like a pawn that does not want to play by the Americans' rules.

We were never too good at diplomacy. We needn't work on making the Americans love us now either. We need to find allies elsewhere.

Those with whom "we row in the same boat", even on the lower decks. They are the Eastern and Central European countries. Resolving the Hungarian question in Slovakia and Romania should not be the policy of the first order.

We may consider whether they share with us the most important challenges—economic and social problems. Having won membership (in the EU) is it not our mutual goal to emancipate ourselves within the framework of the European Union?

Hungarian diplomacy must concentrate on this and a strategic cooperation with Germany.

Do the Americans represent the logic of war?

It seems totally irrational logic is starting to run the world.

Petty, selfish people not suitable for the political arena are twisting the fate of countries and peoples from North Africa to the Central-East back to Europe, according to what appears to be a long-term strategy, but is really only according to momentary interests.

We had some peaceful years when it was possible to believe that a unipolar world system had emerged.

But now we see that this is not the case, and that the United States must still fight the emerging, formerly third world powers, and new rivals and Russia. They do not want to be subordinate, and neither does Europe. So the Pax Americana has not come to pass. The current conflicts arise from this.

In the same way the Americans pushed aside at the time of the Iraq war their allies, NATO, and placed in brackets both international law and human rights, which they used by the way as a political club.

But what is their goal?

It seems that they will not be satisfied with another government taking the place of the current one, but are thinking in terms of changing the entire elite of the governing party and the opposition.

Until its disappearance SZDSZ was the party that served the policies of the United States and was their advocate in Hungary. When they fell, the Americans tried to bring (upstart liberal party "Politics Can Be Different") LMP to life.

Have you seen such potential politicians from which it is possible to create the next elite?

Perhaps they want to draw them from the wage strikes of doubtful means of support in their USSR pullovers, Lenin hats and promoting the liberalization of drugs. [...]

What do you expect of 2015?

["¦] Meanwhile we must not loose sight of our long-term goals either, since every government step is such a means for regaining the sovereignty of the Hungarian state.

All of our energy should be devoted to preserving the life of the nation, so that in the decades to come the Hungarian community can protect belief, hope and self-identity.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
BTW,Putin is considered as a moderate leader in Russia.God knows what kind of person will be putins successor if america is successful in its goal of removing putin.
What is "moderate" leader ?

A leader is somebody who leads the people, some one who does not compromise on the interests of his nation.

Better stop using tags specified by Western front agencies (aka Western media)

They will tell you Putin is "moderate". Take him for what he has done and what he may do.

They will tell you Modi is right wing and nationalistic. Take him for what he has done and may do, not some BS tag that Western media uses.

power_monger

Country flag
"West is the enemy of Russia", funny that without help from the west there would be no Russia, Wehrmacht would have defeated Red Army without help from the allies. Russia would now be Germans lebensraum. So soon they forget. Of course Greater Finland would have gotten a piece also ;)
Plain gibberish. Without russia germany would have eaten Finland by now in WW2. You might be nationalistic,but be realistic. your country stands no chance in front of mighty Russia. Simple fact is without USA,Europe cannot face russia.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Either shows lack of knowledge or maybe just your shameless propensity to lie. I think latter.

All that the West has done for Russia is attempt to install puppets at Kremlin in early 90s (and before) and to thieve away Russia's resources (both human and natural; thieving seems to be something natural for the West and they have been quite successful in the human resource aspect with regards to Rusia.)

It is not true that Germans were gonna defeat the Red Army. In fact the opposite of what you say is true.

All that so called Western allies did was loiter around in Western Europe, round up the Nazis and send them to cozy little lives in US spy and research agencies, and put up fake trials for remaining (less useful Nazis) and drop Atom bombs when it was not needed at all (it was more like a test explosion because the Japanese had made it clear to the US and SU that they were ready to surrender, as the Red Army was at Japan's gates.)

As for Russia. Sure Russia is in a pinch.

But nothing new.

There was a time when Russia was obliterated and subdued entirely (probably the only time) and Russians had to kiss the feet of the Great Mongol Khans. Russia was back on its feet in no time.

There was a time when 1/3 of Russia died and the Poles and Lithuanians were occupying Russian territory at free will and installing puppets in Russia. Russia rose up again. (Time of the Troubles.)

There was a time when foreign armies occupied vast territories when they funded agents were causing internal conflicts in Russia (early 20th century.) Russia rose up again.

This seems small in comparison to those. Very difficult to kill this nation.

As for how Western forces will compare in war against SU or Russia (http://russia-insider.com/en/histor...m/nato_would_probably_lose_war_against_russia)

Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: "Do not march on Moscow". --Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery, British Army

Last edited:

power_monger

Country flag
What is "moderate" leader ?

A leader is somebody who leads the people, some one who does not compromise on the interests of his nation.

Better stop using tags specified by Western front agencies (aka Western media)

They will tell you Putin is "moderate". Take him for what he has done and what he may do.

They will tell you Modi is right wing and nationalistic. Take him for what he has done and may do, not some BS tag that Western media uses.
You did not get what i said. Moderate means,less aggressive. I watch russia today channel regularly and it seems that Russians consider Putin as less agressive leader(i.e moderate). BTW,I dont care what western media says. I have learnt with age,how western media paints us.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Niinistö understand Russias worries. Currently Finland has all the negatives of NATO country and non of the positives. We are enemy in Russians eyes but we do not enjoy the NATO shield.
Well, what else do you expect ?

Russians are well aware of the plans of the globalists.

They are also well aware of the conniving ways of the Finns.

Support NATO in all it does but on paper be "neutral."

Provide base for media wing of Chechen terrorist organizations but outward be friend of Russia.

More like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Love this wolf ? I don't think so.

pmaitra

Either shows lack of knowledge or maybe just your shameless propensity to lie. I think latter.
Most likely the latter. Here is why:

@jouni came to an Indian forum, and learnt a lot about, (1) Finland's independence, (2) Finland's defeat and territorial loss in the Winter War, (3) Finland's debt slavery, (4) Prince Rurik - which he unsuccessfully tried to claim as his own, (5) the Finnic and Ugric tribes, (6) his real homeland, (7) and thereby, how pathetic the Finnish education system is.

I had no opinion about Finland, but after suffering the repetitive and gratuitous deceit embedded in his comments, I am developing a rather less-than-generous opinion about this littoral state.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

All that the West has done for Russia is attempt to install puppets at Kremlin in early 90s (and before) and to thieve away Russia's resources (both human and natural; thieving seems to be something natural for the West and they have been quite successful in the human resource aspect with regards to Rusia.)

It is not true that Germans were gonna defeat the Red Army. In fact the opposite of what you say is true.

All that so called Western allies did was loiter around in Western Europe, round up the Nazis and send them to cozy little lives in US spy and research agencies, and put up fake trials for remaining (less useful Nazis) and drop Atom bombs when it was not needed at all (it was more like a test explosion because the Japanese had made it clear to the US and SU that they were ready to surrender, as the Red Army was at Japan's gates.)

As for Russia. Sure Russia is in a pinch.

But nothing new.

There was a time when Russia was obliterated and subdued entirely (probably the only time) and Russians had to kiss the feet of the Great Mongol Khans. Russia was back on its feet in no time.

There was a time when 1/3 of Russia died and the Poles and Lithuanians were occupying Russian territory at free will and installing puppets in Russia. Russia rose up again. (Time of the Troubles.)

There was a time when foreign armies occupied vast territories when they funded agents were causing internal conflicts in Russia (early 20th century.) Russia rose up again.

This seems small in comparison to those. Very difficult to kill this nation.

As for how Western forces will compare in war against SU or Russia (Russian news: NATO Would Probably Lose a War Against Russia - Russia Insider)

Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: "Do not march on Moscow". --Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery, British Army
You can add Prince Rurik and his not so effective Viking army, that has some initial success against the Finns, and then the Slavs, but were eventually kicked in the posterior by the Slavs, and sent back to wherever they came from.

:)

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

@jouni came to an Indian forum, and learnt a lot about, (1) Finland's independence, (2) Finland's defeat and territorial loss in the Winter War, (3) Finland's debt slavery, (4) Prince Rurik - which he unsuccessfully tried to claim as his own, (5) the Finnic and Ugric tribes, (6) his real homeland, (7) and thereby, how pathetic the Finnish education system is.

I had no opinion about Finland, but after suffering the repetitive and gratuitous deceit embedded in his comments, I am developing a rather less-than-generous opinion about this littoral state.
He has already hilariously and erroneously claimed that Denmark, america and Russia were founded by fins and he may soon start claiming that Japan, China, Iran, India etc were established by finns.

jouni

I do not think that my work has been fruitless. I have pointed out how Great country Finland is. You have listened and maybe you carry the torch forward in India. This kind of educative work is just as important as all the "clean water for Indian children" programs.

pmaitra

He has already hilariously and erroneously claimed that Denmark, america and Russia were founded by fins and he may soon start claiming that Japan, China, Iran, India etc were established by finns.
Well, he did suggest once that Finns probably came and settled in India but he was immediately rebuked. :lol:

I do not think that my work has been fruitless. I have pointed out how Great country Finland is. You have listened and maybe you carry the torch forward in India. This kind of educative work is just as important as all the "clean water for Indian children" programs.
Nobody (almost) in India gives a tuppence about whatever Finland is. If you think Finland is great, and perhaps it is, then keep thinking. No need to keep repeating this to us. Some of us are getting tired of it.

jouni

Well, he did suggest once that Finns probably came and settled in India but he was immediately rebuked. :lol:

Nobody (almost) in India gives a tuppence about whatever Finland is. If you think Finland is great, and perhaps it is, then keep thinking. No need to keep repeating this to us. Some of us are getting tired of it.
Ok, next year I promise to be more critical towards my own country, show things where we have failed so that India can avoid making the same mistakes. I hope you also be more critical towards your beloved Russia, some are critical about you singing along the nazi hymn instead of analytically studying the conflict.

pmaitra

Ok, next year I promise to be more critical towards my own country, show things where we have failed so that India can avoid making the same mistakes. I hope you also be more critical towards your beloved Russia, some are critical about you singing along the nazi hymn instead of analytically studying the conflict.
Sure, you can be as critical about Finland, but I have ZERO interest in tossing muck at Finland like you have been doing against Russia.

If you recall, I had said Finland should be friends with all and do deals that benefit Finland, without becoming a vassal of either Russia or US. Let the Finns be happy and prosperous, without becoming a pawn in the global game of geopolitics. You can help by reducing the amount of hate spewing that is so typical of you.

I have far more respect for Finland, than I have for Poland or Lithuania. Let it be that way.

Let's end this year on a good note. I wish you a happy new year. :thumb:

he-man

The analysis is simple............russia is crucial for our defence and has traditionally supported us so naturally we are sympathetic towards its well being.
We look for our interests,u look for yours.

pmaitra

There's a Way for Russia to Break the Petrodollar. Now's the Time to Do It

• Organize a cartel of oil producers
  • Denominate sales in rubles, yuan
  • Dollar is no longer a good store of value
  • With more gold backing ruble, yuan can be

Alastair Crooke (The Huffington Post - Excerpt) [SOURCE]

Iran has wanted this for a long time

This is an excerpt from an article that originally appeared at The Huffington Post.

A profound transformation of the global monetary system is underway.

It is being driven by a perfect storm: the need for Russia and Iran to escape Western sanctions, the low interest rate policy of the U.S. Federal Reserve to keep the American economy afloat and the increasing demand for Middle East oil by China.

ESCAPING SANCTIONS

As economic sanctions are increasingly part of the West's arsenal, those non-Western countries that are the target -- or potential target -- of such sanctions are devising a counterpunch: non-dollar trading.

It would, in effect, nullify the impact of sanctions.

Whether in yuan or roubles, non-dollar trading -- which enables countries to bypass U.S. claims to legal jurisdiction -- will transform the prospects facing Iran and Syria, particularly in the field of energy reserves, and deeply affect Iraq which is situated between the two.

President Putin has said (in the context of reducing Russia's economic vulnerabilities) that he views the dollar monopoly in energy trade as damaging to the Russian economy.

Since hydrocarbon revenues form the most substantive part of Russia's revenues, Putin's desire to take action in this area is not surprising.

In the face of sanctions, Putin is seeking to reduce its economic dependence on the West.

Russia has signed two "holy grail" gas contracts with China and is in negotiations to offer the latter sophisticated weaponry.

It is also in the process of finalizing significant trade deals with India and Iran.

All of this will be to the benefit of Iran, too: the Russians recently announced a deal to build several new nuclear power plants there.

THE STRAW THAT BREAKS THE PETRODOLLAR'S BACK

This new oil price drop simply is crushing producers' currencies in foreign exchange markets.

The combination of the petrodollar losing its ability to act as a store of value, combined now with exchange rate blues, may be the straw that breaks the producer "camel's back" in respect to OPEC and dollar denomination.

IRAN AND RUSSIA VS. SAUDI ARABIA?

Such a moment would seem ripe for Russia and Iran to begin a gradual challenge to Saudi's leadership of the OPEC cartel and to the dollar-denominated energy system, if enough OPEC members and other producers are prepared to rebel. Iran has been lobbying hard in this direction.

In the longer term, Russia might take up Prince Bandar's suggestion that Russia become a key determiner of oil prices and output -- but in a cartel of its own making, rather than in the manner Bandar had proposed in July 2013 when he said:

"Let us examine how to put together a unified Russian-Saudi strategy on the subject of oil.

The aim is to agree on the price of oil and production quantities that keep the price stable in global oil markets," according to one diplomatic account.

WHY THE ROUBLE OR YUAN INSTEAD OF THE DOLLAR?

And why should producers opt for roubles or yuan?

Well, both China and Russia have recently been big buyers of physical gold. Russia's present gold reserves would back 27 percent of the narrow rouble money supply.

That is a high ratio -- far in excess of any other major country, and also in excess of the U.S. Fed's original stipulated gold coverage minimum.

Moreover, Russia is a large net exporter of goods and energy, notwithstanding sanctions. So Russia's gold reserves, by implication, are likely to continue to grow, rather than decline.

In the longer term, holding roubles or yuan may allow producers to escape the damaging inflationary effects of a dollar system now dependent for its stability on low interest rates and monetary expansion.

These prospective changes are still speculative, but are potentially highly significant. The petrodollar has lasted for over 41 years, and has been the driving force behind America's economic, political and military power.

It would be ironic, indeed, were the tensions with Russia inadvertently to become the driver of America finally losing its petrodollar card.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@pmaitra

None of your wish lists are going to happen. On the other hand the US is set to dominate oil in the coming years. Already there are already talks of allowing US oil producers limited exports of light crude. From now on US with Canada will set the pace of oil in the World market.

And as to the importance of the mighty US dollar, well it will remain as mighty as it is now. There is simply no alternative to the US dollar, certainly the Yuan is not as stable and attractive as the US dollar. The Euros on the other hand is still in the woods. And the Ruble - would anyone want to trade in the worst performing currency in the World? The Ruble is no different from the currencies of Middle Eastern oil exporters...

pmaitra

@pmaitra

None of your wish lists are going to happen. On the other hand the US is set to dominate oil in the coming years. Already there are already talks of allowing US oil producers limited exports of light crude. From now on US with Canada will set the pace of oil in the World market.

And as to the importance of the mighty US dollar, well it will remain as mighty as it is now. There is simply no alternative to the US dollar, certainly the Yuan is not as stable and attractive as the US dollar. The Euros on the other hand is still in the woods. And the Ruble - would anyone want to trade in the worst performing currency in the World? The Ruble is no different from the currencies of Middle Eastern oil exporters...
My wish list? That article is from the Huffington Post. You should have implied hypotheses that I likely agree with.

Time will tell. Let's wait and see.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
@pmaitra

You nailed it. Can't agree more.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles