Rudra attack helicopter to Border Security Force

WolfPack86

Country flag
BSF can use Rudra attack helicopter against terrorist in border areas and carry 12 commandos. BSF commandos can air drop in areas in Jammu and Kashmir as well as in Gujarat Rann of Kutch and Rajasthan. Rudra can carry troops as well as perform attack role.

Brimstone

Spotter
Country flag
BSF can use Rudra attack helicopter against terrorist in border areas and carry 12 commandos.
Why not use Dhruv instead ?

as well as perform attack role.
BSF is a police force. During peacetime, platforms like Rudra don't have much use. I don't know what kind of aviation inventory BSF has right now but I think they are mostly transport. Maintaining Rudra can be costly for BSF. Plus, Rudra should be with either Army Aviation Corp or with IAF. They can utilise it better.

I personally believe that BSF should start looking into small surveillance drones.

Gessler

Country flag
BSF can use Rudra attack helicopter against terrorist in border areas and carry 12 commandos. BSF commandos can air drop in areas in Jammu and Kashmir as well as in Gujarat Rann of Kutch and Rajasthan. Rudra can carry troops as well as perform attack role.
This is a misconception that stems from thinking Rudra is meant to do a Mi-35 type role. It's not.

Rudra cannot carry 12 passengers. Only the regular ALH Dhruv can. Significant portion of the passenger compartment on the Rudra is occupied by ammo boxes (which feed the 20mm gun) and new LRUs that concern back-end of the new FCS subsystems.

Add to this the increased weight placed on the helo due to addition of gun, stub wings, rockets, missiles, the EO pod etc.

At most the Rudra can carry 2-3 people in rear cabin...to accommodate emergency CASEVAC type situation. And that's probably when operating from near-sea level bases.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles