Royal Enfield: The First True 'Global' Indian Brand?

SKC

Country flag
Nothing of that sort is happening.

The new Himalayan will be an up-engined variant, but still a single.
Yes, I have heard about both news. Half of people proclaiming that new Himalayan will be based on 650cc platform but half claiming it will be bigger engine but still single.
Since the current one is already 410cc so people thought it does not make sense to get 500-600cc single engine again.

armyofhind

Country flag
Yes, I have heard about both news. Half of people proclaiming that new Himalayan will be based on 650cc platform but half claiming it will be bigger engine but still single.
Since the current one is already 410cc so people thought it does not make sense to get 500-600cc single engine again.
It will be a completely new engine platform, between 500-600cc. The old Continental GT engine was relooked at to develop this one.
I used to work there earlier but you didnt hear that from me. 🤫

SKC

Country flag
It will be a completely new engine platform, between 500-600cc. The old Continental GT engine was relooked at to develop this one.
:cool1:

I didn't hear nothing!

But Why single cylinder for new above 500cc platform! Will be vibrations nightmare!

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
View attachment 102352

Ever since their new-generation 650cc twins released in 2018, Royal Enfield (RE)'s reputation & sales figures has taken off in the international markets. So much so that even a platform which was never 'meant' for an international customer base like the preceding Himalayan ADV is racking up respectable sales & a well-earned reputation for ruggedness & affordability.

So much so that the Interceptor even climbed to the top of the sales charts in the UK:

And recently in New Zealand as well:

While it would be imprudent to say RE has surpassed the likes of BMW Motorrad or the Japanese giants when it comes to dominating sales charts overall (each year RE only barely manages to stay in the Top 10 brands in UK over cumulative sales of all models; to be expected though considering RE caters to only a small section of the market unlike the companies mentioned above) - what CAN be stated quite assuredly is that RE has for sure learnt how to tap into market niches, use them to expand their foothold to make a name for themselves, and emerge as a mainstream international brand in doing so.

The current RE management certainly has their sights set on the same:

Even the smaller-displacement models which otherwise were not expected to get that much of a response in developed markets (like the new Meteor) are outperforming in bookings & sales.

We can comfortably say that the days of RE being nothing but a cult favourite that manufactures classic designs like the Bullet using the same tooling & machinery from their British days back in the 50s, are effectively over...and they were over for a long time, the replacement of the old 350UCE machines with the new 350 J-platform across the board would be the last nail in the coffin of old RE, and the last brick in finishing the construction of new RE. An RE that stands for quality & immense value.

With a slew of new models around the corner (including expansion of the 650 twin family to include cruiser & ADV members) and an expanding international dealer network, this bull run of RE is not going to stop any time soon. I would say with confidence that RE may be the first true global brand that India has produced - that too in a highly competitive and established industry like automobiles. At the very least - this is a story that deserves to be followed.

@Haldilal @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @Indx TechStyle
Have Thunderbird 500 insane torque.30 km per liter keeps the freeloader from borrowing it.

Gessler

Country flag
Why haven't they gone with a 650 twin Hima? I'm assuming its because of weight? The Hima is already a pretty heavy frame and adding another cylinder would probably have made it way too heavy and way too low on Power-to-weight.

Also, will the new motor (assuming its 535 or thereabouts like the old Conti) replace the current? I mean will the 535 Hima replace 411 Hima in the lineup? Bringing in another engine to the production line would make more sense if it happens to be replacing something else...however, there's this:

Recently a more 'road-biased' version of Hima was spotted, seems to have the same 411 engine but with smaller front wheel and less off-roadability overall:

Introducing a new 411-based model at this point seems imprudent if at all the platform was meant to be replaced with 535, OTOH If only the existing offroad 411 is discontinued & replaced with offroad 535 and this onroad tourer 411 continues, that'll make it 4 distinct engine platforms in production.

Just thinking out loud here.

armyofhind

Country flag
Why haven't they gone with a 650 twin Hima? I'm assuming its because of weight? The Hima is already a pretty heavy frame and adding another cylinder would probably have made it way too heavy and way too low on Power-to-weight.

Also, will the new motor (assuming its 535 or thereabouts like the old Conti) replace the current? I mean will the 535 Hima replace 411 Hima in the lineup? Bringing in another engine to the production line would make more sense if it happens to be replacing something else...however, there's this:

Recently a more 'road-biased' version of Hima was spotted, seems to have the same 411 engine but with smaller front wheel and less off-roadability overall:

Introducing a new 411-based model at this point seems imprudent if at all the platform was meant to be replaced with 535, OTOH If only the existing offroad 411 is discontinued & replaced with offroad 535 and this onroad tourer 411 continues, that'll make it 4 distinct engine platforms in production.

The existing 410 will still remain.. this new one is to develop the Adventure touring lineup further as per the strategy. Also, the new Himalayan would be aimed at global markets as well, just like the 650 twins were.

I'm guessing the strategy at home would be to have a look at the kind of sales the new Hima does, and then decide on the 410 platform.

the 650 engine wasnt considered because of the weight, would require a complete redesign of the chassis, adds to cost and time as well.

SKC

Country flag

411 will always remain. It is enjoying good success in NA and EU and Oceania region.
But the new bigger one should be 650 based only.

SKC

Country flag
This I have no idea about. It's been almost 2 years since I switched.. so I'm not aware of this one. Will ask around.
We will buy their shares accordingly! :rofl:

Does RE trades independently or under their parent company! :confused1:

Kchontha

Country flag
Yesdi may come up latter, if they diverted from their traditional style nobody may buy..

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Yesdi may come up latter, if they diverted from their traditional style nobody may buy..
Ya'll Nibbiars Yezdi should have given the priority as their name carrys more premium.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles