RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think the oldest hull, USS Tarawa, still looks good to me:

BUt this is better for IN's needs:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
I think the oldest hull, USS Tarawa, still looks good to me:

BUt this is better for IN's needs:

The Dokdo is an extremely capable ship the only problems i see with this ship is it's price which is going to be a cool 50-70million$ higher than the Mistral and the fact that the Koreans already have their hands full with The rest of the class still under construction!

agentperry

LPDs are most beautiful naval ships. they are powerful, capable and big with good looking.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Yes, second line of French sub is already +3 at MDL and it can build six more. India's desperate circumstance doesn't have the time or money to wait on a retool. Navy for instance doesn't look like shaking getting as many new subs as fast as possible. The only criteria India really has is Made in India and French sub line at MDL gets that done. That is the way things are... sorry if you don't like it. :sad:
+3 or +2, the second line at MDL is only building subs of P75 not P75I. MDL can even set third line for completing order by 2018 (originality scheduled) but that's not getting it P-75I.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
pmaitra writes
A little bit of history:
USS San Antonio is named after the second largest city in Texas, USA. The city itself is named after Spanish Mexican general and president Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna (Antonio de Padua María Severino López de Santa Anna y Pérez de Lebrón (21 February 1794 – 21 June 1876)), who laid a siege of Alamo. Literal transliteration would mean Saint Anthony i.e. Anthony of Padua or Anthony of Lisbon, a Catholic Saint; after whom Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was named.
I did not know San Antonio was named for Santa Anna. I learned only recently that Santa Anna survived the Mexican War with the US and died at a ripe old age in Havana, Cuba.

The Brooke Army Medical Center is in San Antonio

Welcome to Brooke Army Medical Center

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
New development from the IA looks related to these purchases

Army converts one infantry division into RAMFOR
PTI | 08:10 PM,Oct 20,2011
New Delhi, Oct 20 (PTI) Sharpening its capabilities to carry out operations on enemy shores, the Indian Army has converted one of its infantry divisions with over 10,000 troops into a Reorganised Amphibious Formation (RAMFOR).The Hyderabad-based 54 Infantry Division has been converted into an amphibious formation to bolster capabilities to carry out amphibious operations, Army sources told PTI here.They said majority of the work in converting the Division into an amphibious formation was carried out under present Commandant of the Army War College Lt Gen Anil Chait.The Army has already raised three brigades to carry out the amphibious operations. Of the three, one is based in South India, another in West India and the third in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.The Army has been looking to increase its amphibious brigades in the island territories of Andaman and Nicobar by increasing its presence there."These developments are significant in view of the increasing presence of the Chinese Navy in the vicinity," said defence analyst Commander (retd) Sunil Chauhan.The Army is looking to increase its amphibious war-fighting assets also with plans of acquiring light infantry combat vehicles for such operations.In this direction, the Navy has inducted the INS Jalashwa from the US for amphibious operations and is looking to acquire four more such ships from indigenous sources in near future.The Cabinet Committee on Security had also recently cleared a Navy proposal for procuring eight amphibious assault vessels from the Garden Reach Shipbuilders under a Rs 2,176 crore deal.
Army converts one infantry division into RAMFOR, IBN Live News

A.V.

RFP issed for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD type)

[h=2]Indian Navy launches Request For Proposal for 4 amphibious vessels (LHD type)[/h]

The Indian Navy has launched a request for proposal to build four large projection vessels with dual helicopter carrier and amphibious role. Indian shipyards were consulted but they had no design to propose. Indian Navy is therefore contacting foreign partners to for proposals.

Several international groups should answer the request for proposal. French shipbuilder DCNSwith its Mistral class (BPC) already serving with the French Navy and soon with the Russian Navy, the Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri with its Multifunctional Ship (MS), Spain's Navantiawill likely offer the Buque of Proyecciones Estratégica (BPE) and South Koreans shipbuilderHanjin Heavy Industries could offer their amphibious assault ship from Dokdo class.

At first glance, DCNS and Fincantieri should have some advantage over their competition as both shipbuilders already work with the Indian Navy

Continues: http://www.navyrecognition.com/index...sk=view&id=202

Galaxy

Country flag
23-November, 2011

Purchase of Amphibious Assault Vessels

A contract has been concluded with M/s GRSE, Kolkata, in September, 2011 for construction of eight Land Craft Utility. These ships are likely to be inducted in the Indian Navy during 2013-15.

Defence Acquisition Council has accorded Acceptance of Necessity for induction of four large amphibious ships. Induction of these ships would help to enhance the amphibious lift capability of the Indian Armed Forces. The capability would also be useful for assistance to civil administration, disaster relief and other contingencies.

Galaxy

Country flag
Mistral class would be best option as it would work as Helicopter carrier also.

Last edited:

A.V.

Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri :- the prime favourite and most likely to get the contract .

Lets see generally IN delas are done at a faster timeframe

Ray

The Chairman
It has become a necessity to improve India's amphibious capability!

Ray

The Chairman
I wonder if the Indian Navy requires to think of having Littoral Combat Ships too!

The LCS designs add the capabilities of a small assault transport with a flight deck and hangar large enough to base two SH-60 Seahawk helicopters, the capability to recover and launch small boats from a stern ramp, and enough cargo volume and payload to deliver a small assault force with armoured fighting vehicles to a roll-on/roll-off port facility.

Last edited:

charlyondfi

Mind I ask IN does NOT have any plan to produce its own LPD? Nevertheless, now it's acquiring Jalashwa (Austin class).

I don't mean to replace above deal for LHD, as I fully understand the difference between LPD and LHD. Of course, it's also about the purpose of these 4 LHD, and how LPD can work w/ them. My point is IN should give an opportunity to India's own building capability, and always make best of every import deal.

communismforindia

Tihar Jail
Banned
Mind I ask IN does NOT have any plan to produce its own LPD? Nevertheless, now it's acquiring Jalashwa (Austin class).

I don't mean to replace above deal for LHD, as I fully understand the difference between LPD and LHD. Of course, it's also about the purpose of these 4 LHD, and how LPD can work w/ them. My point is IN should give an opportunity to India's own building capability, and always make best of every import deal.
I think they are planning to produce a indian vessel... but it will take a few more years.. the other point I certainly think is a few years ago, govt was quite reluctant to spend lakhs (millions) in R&D ... but recently military is pushing for more indegenious weaponary. I know chinese produce their own weapons (even though some of them are "inspired" from neighbouring countries). You can expect a few weapons from Indian military in the next few years

shakti4

I think We should go like Russia and buy one and build through TOT in home

Articles