RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

kstriya

Country flag
Juan Carlos class can carry 30 aircrafts, a modified Vikrant class LHD or LPD or make in India Juan Carlos class can act as the pocket aircraft carrier or hybrid vessel. Some missions may involve SEAD wherein helicopters are too risky to send in, we can use these vessels to launch naval LCA to do the mission. We can have two squadron and few attack helos as per requirement. One mini CBG is sufficient to destroy each string of pearl and the actual full fledge CBG can take care of assault to the Chinese mainland. So by my estimate we will need at least 6 pocket carrier's and 3 to 4 Vishal class carrier's, Vikrant for porkies and the rest Vikramaditya and Vishal's for China. We would also need at least 4 marine brigades to man these vessels. If built indigenously its all achievable and within budget and all logistical issues will be met locally.

Jangaruda

India might probably get the Mistral class ships that were originally intended fr Russia...

Jangaruda

Any chance India might get the Wasp class Amphibious Assault Ships????

Gessler

Country flag
India might probably get the Mistral class ships that were originally intended fr Russia...
Those were already sold to Egypt. We're most likely to get the Juan Carlos-class from the Spanish company Navantia.

As of Wasp-class, there's no chance we're getting them.

Jangaruda

Those were already sold to Egypt. We're most likely to get the Juan Carlos-class from the Spanish company Navantia.

Why do u think v wont get them bro??

kstriya

Country flag

Juan Carlos class type would be best for India with its ability to act as an mini aircraft carrier which can be used to neutralize the string of pearls and the actual full fledge aircraft carriers can do their job of knocking down the Chinese near their mainland. I would prefer a improvised design like IAC 1 which being smaller to Vikramaditya can carry more aircrafts comparatively, this show the maturity of Indian design. We can collaborate with Navatia and design a Indian specific multirole vessel with probably LCA and AMCA in operational role.

Rizvi Khan

Country flag
I am on the opposite side though. I know it's almost like impossible but India should support China in South China Sea and get its boundaries taken care off. Past is past we can not think of a war. US is playing with us till we have money it's not long when US will fall because of their economy crisis so will China cause of majorly depended on US for manufacturing and other source of funds but India is less dependent on USA so if we do this right we may become the leader in South China Sea too think deeply u will know what I am talking about

kstriya

Country flag
I am on the opposite side though. I know it's almost like impossible but India should support China in South China Sea and get its boundaries taken care off. Past is past we can not think of a war. US is playing with us till we have money it's not long when US will fall because of their economy crisis so will China cause of majorly depended on US for manufacturing and other source of funds but India is less dependent on USA so if we do this right we may become the leader in South China Sea too think deeply u will know what I am talking about
Nice thought but the ground realities are different, the chinks are supporting the porkies to keep India within the regional prism and know we will be the only one nation to oppose a Chinese hegemony in Asia. We better be prepared for all eventuality rather be caught by surprise like 62. We must have better capabilities to defend ourselves and be offensive when our strategic space is threatened. A LFP or LHD are offensive platform and sends correct signals to all strings in the pearl that you will be taken out simultaneously in an event of war.

Bahamut

USA is playing a duel containment game ,put fire in Indian Chinese relationship to divert the resource of both country ,divide and rule .This is not going to happen. Both India and China want good relationship and do not have a good reason to fight .India and China will make a deal that India gets IOR and China the South china sea and trade ship of both country will be allowed to use both the region .

Anupu

Country flag
According to this article, at the moment L&T with Juan Carlos seems to be in a stronger position. Also the tonnage is mentioned to be 35,000t - 40,000t although, I think it could be mis-reported.
ABG Shipyard may lose in race for Rs 20,000-cr warships for Indian Navy
ABG Shipyard (ABGSL) may lose out in the race for the Rs 20,000-crore four Landing Platform Docks for the Indian Navy...
By: Huma Siddiqui | New Delhi | February 20, 2016 1:24 AM
ABG Shipyard (ABGSL) may lose out in the race for the Rs 20,000-crore four Landing Platform Docks for the Indian Navy as the company failed the corporate debt restructuring (CDR) carried out by ICICI Bank.

The Centre wants to indigenously build four such warships, which will be the biggest-ever made in the country other than the under-construction 40,000-tonne sea-borne aircraft carrier INS Vikrant.

According to sources in the ministry of defence, once in two years the Indian Navy carries out assessment of the shipyards to see whether they have the financial and technical capability to handle big contracts for the construction of ships.

In the case of ABGSL, ICICI Bank in response to a letter that naval headquarters had issued on December 11 last year, said, “The debt restructuring scheme of ABGSL was approved by CDR in March 2014. As per the restructuring scheme various reliefs on debt servicing were granted including sanction of additional debt of R2,400 crore which was subject to compliance of various conditions by the company/promoter. However, as part of this the promoters were expected to get R180 crore more which they have failed to get and additional security and pledging of shares of ABG Shipyard Ltd, ABG International Ltd and ABG Singapore Pvt Ltd are still pending. “

Responding to questions from FE, Dhananjay Datar, CFO, ABGSL, said, “We are in discussion with International investors for strategic and financial investment in ABG. This is in advance stage of finalisation and should be announced shortly. Our lead bank ( ICICI Bank) is fully involved in the process. With this, ABG will be looking forward to larger participation in Make in India for defence programme.

“ABG is fully qualified for LPD project. Recently, MoD has sought extension of time by 6 months and similar extensions on bank guarantees which has been given,” Datar added.

Sources in the Indian Navy told FE, “The construction of the LPDs is under Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Make in India’ programme. So far decision on extending by 6 months has not been taken yet.”

While the yard along with the L&T had been shortlisted by the Indian Navy, it has not yet got approval from the Controller of Warship, Production & Acquisition, Integrated Headquarter, MoD.

Once the private firm fulfils all the requirements as recommended by the ICICI Bank, then the stage of commercial offer will come followed by the winner being decided on the basis of the lowest bidder.

While ABG is tied up with US-based Alion, Spanish company Navantia which designed the 13,000 tonne “Galicia” class LPD in the 1990s, and more recently the 27,000 tonne Juan Carlos I Amphibious Assault Ship for Spain has tied up with L&T to work jointly on building LPDs.

Alion is one of the largest naval architecture and marine engineering companies in the US and currently supports the acquisition and introduction of every current US surface class as well as submarine classes.

According to Indian Navy, construction of two LPDs will be at the private yards at their facilities and would assist defence owned Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) to construct the remaining two. The vessel must be able to house combat vehicles (including main battle tanks, infantry combat vehicles and heavy trucks on one or more vehicle deck) and the vessel should be able to undertake all-weather operations involving heavy lift helicopters up to 35 tonne.

In December 2013 the Indian Navy floated a $2.6 billion domestic tender for construction of four LPDs and bids were sent to domestic shipyards, Larsen & Toubro (L&T), Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering, and ABG Shipyard.

Each of these will approximately cost Rs 6,000 crore and are expected to be delivered over the next 10 years. Each of these ships will be between 35,000 and 40,000 tonne.

MKM

Country flag
According to this article, at the moment L&T with Juan Carlos seems to be in a stronger position. Also the tonnage is mentioned to be 35,000t - 40,000t although, I think it could be mis-reported.
That's may not most people say Multi-Role Support Vessel will be based on Juan Carlos I but tonnage will be 35,000t - 40,000t as navy wants.

kstriya

Country flag
Makes sense this project will take approximately ten years to complete by then naval LCA will be ready for deployment on these ships. Juan Carlos class will be a very good choice..

Anupu

Country flag
Makes sense this project will take approximately ten years to complete by then naval LCA will be ready for deployment on these ships. Juan Carlos class will be a very good choice..
Jaun carlos, doesn't have arrester wires, and even if it is redesigned to have one would it make sense to place a large no of aircraft on a LPD, won't heli's make more sense?
@salute @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Gessler

Gessler

Country flag
Jaun carlos, doesn't have arrester wires, and even if it is redesigned to have one would it make sense to place a large no of aircraft on a LPD, won't heli's make more sense?
@salute @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Gessler
Only aircraft that IN's LHDs will carry are helicopters. Even VSTOL fighters are not being considered.

Which choppers? Well, definitely the Naval Dhruv, S-70B-2, and whichever 12-ton NMRH and light helo is selected by IN in future.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Only aircraft that IN's LHDs will carry are helicopters. Even VSTOL fighters are not being considered.

Which choppers? Well, definitely the Naval Dhruv, S-70B-2, and whichever 12-ton NMRH and light helo is selected by IN in future.
IMO, the IN is intentionally going slow on this procurement- it isn't a priority for them as of now and they don't even have the helos to meet their current operational requirements, let alone to serve on dedicated LHD.

Articles