Restructuring of Indian Special Forces

Jedi Operator

Country flag
My bone of contention here is that why should not Covert Operations be within the gambit of the military. Joint SOF Command means intelligence lead operations.

Let RAW raise a ISA (Intelligence Service Activity) type unit in addition to their NOC capability. Let the tip of the spear be the military. ISA will prep the battlefield for covert DA raids from Larger Military Forces.

Lastly How and where will RAW run a Brigade size covert unit? Invariably operationally it will come under Army command. Otherwise left hand and right hand will never talk to each other.

Have a National Strategic Operations Command (NSOC) - Headed by NSA and CS. Below It
1) National Int Agency that becomes the nodal agency for RAW, IB, State intel Units, Narcotis ete, ARC, ISA type Unit
2) AFSOD - Tier One CT/DA/Offensive NEST capability (Black)
-- Dedicated Special Aviation Wing primarily only for AFSOD
-- Will have their own HQ, Training, Procurement element
3) CyberCommand
4) NEST (NBC Response Capability) - Part of NDRF but only this node is part of NSOC -
5) Army/Navy/AirForce Special Operations Command Under the DG of Special Operations (DGSO) (White)
6) Minitstry Forigen Affairs Liason, Ministry Home Affairs Liason + NSG
7) Training and Procurement Command - Each Service SOC will overlap with this. All SOF Schools will roll into this command. Will also be solely responsible for mapping out Joint Ex with Foriegn Units

Note: Senior officers from all above will be a 'Council' that will report to NSA and CS - all officials in council will be Equal in Power structure and one system of data flow and dissemination

Fleshing out point 5 above
\\ Army SOC - SF, SFF, Light Infantry Cdo Unit (new raising), dedicated Army Aviation Assets - rotary
\\ AF - Garud + Dedicated Helo Support + Fixed Wing Transport
\\ Navy - MARCOS, UDT, Marine SOF Aviation Dedicated to command

Each of the above commands will be mapped to theater commands. Director of of Special Operations - A/F/N (DSO) will run this for each service and report to DGSO.

Vanila A/AF/N SOF will also do a double reporting into CDS

CDS will have amongst normal structure - DGSO and ANC reporting into it seperately. Any Futher Ambhib Command (Marine Corp) will also go to CDS only and not NSOC.

Last Note: Strategic Missle Command and Nuclear Deterent is not part of the Above and reports into NSA seperately but will have a liason office with NSOC

phew -- talk about day dreaminig on a Monday morning when the markets are crashing :)
Ya i like this thread, as for the Navy they are pretty organized. We have a directorate of special operations & diving. It has MARCOS and Clearance Divers. America called them UDTs at one time. The Marine Commando Flight is Indian Navy's dedicated aviation unit for special operations. Dosnt compare to 160th SOAR but is very much like Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 85 of US Naval Special Warfare Command. In addition i would like India to have a force like Navy Riverine of US.

Kumaoni

In my opinion, out of 9 battalions of Special Forces
* 5 battalions can be Para SFs (Airborne)
* 2 battalions can be Airborne Para qualified Rangers (Light Infantry)
* 1 battalion of Green Berets equivalent type of SF
* 1 battalion dedicated for Tier 1 SOFs
I think the 31 RR battalion can be converted to do HR situations all around kashmir. and have no specific AOR. That way we can use 9 and 10 Para for actual special ops

rkhanna

Country flag
I think the 31 RR battalion can be converted to do HR situations all around kashmir. and have no specific AOR. That way we can use 9 and 10 Para for actual special ops
Per Your Suggestion i would add the following:

9/10 should be used for ONLY for the following:

1. Operations along the IB against Pakistan
2. Operations across the LOC against Terrorist
3. Operations against the Chinese on the LAC (Ladhak) + Siachen

31RR should do ALL COIN operations within J&K along with NSG in Support - NSG gets all COIN/CT operations outside J&K

Kumaoni

Per Your Suggestion i would add the following:

9/10 should be used for ONLY for the following:

1. Operations along the IB against Pakistan
2. Operations across the LOC against Terrorist
3. Operations against the Chinese on the LAC (Ladhak) + Siachen

31RR should do ALL COIN operations within J&K along with NSG in Support - NSG gets all COIN/CT operations outside J&K
The ops done by 9/10 para need to be strategic in Nature and not tactical oeprations like Cross border raids. They need to be able to take HVTs across the LoC and IB at their own will. I’d leave the cross border/commando ops to 1/2/3/4 and others. That way we can have both commando/rangers and special ops. 9 and 10, if not doing special ops, need to be training with top tier SOF of other countries.

31 RR does all COIN ops replacing other RR btns? Not sure ab this one tbh although some RR btns do need to get disbanded

rkhanna

Country flag
The ops done by 9/10 para need to be strategic in Nature and not tactical oeprations like Cross border raids.
YEs - IMO send them after the Paki Retired Officers who are given Farm Lands along the IB that are used to push drugs and terrorist into India. Start with that. killing drugged up brainwashed poor kids is useless. Hurt the Hand.

rkhanna

Country flag
31 RR does all COIN ops replacing other RR btns?

No the SOF component of RR COIN ops. Like you said. no restriction to AO. With the gambit of JK COIN they would be strategic.

Scale down RR - Beef up CRPF -

Kumaoni

YEs - IMO send them after the Paki Retired Officers who are given Farm Lands along the IB that are used to push drugs and terrorist into India. Start with that. killing drugged up brainwashed poor kids is useless. Hurt the Hand.
Maybe a politician here and there. Maybe then they’ll learn to respect us.
No the SOF component of RR COIN ops. Like you said. no restriction to AO. With the gambit of JK COIN they would be strategic.

Scale down RR - Beef up CRPF -
Agreed here. RR has done its time. A 90s kashmir will never emerge again, we have fenced the LoC. At most the militant number will be 200.

31 RR should also be used in convert intel gathering ops as well. lots of potnetial there.

Kumaoni

Issue with indian SF- jack of all, masters of nothing
We need specialization. What’s the difference between 3 and 9? Barring operator quality, nothing. They do the exact same ops.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles