Responsible Gun Owner in priest clothing shoots 5 cops

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Date: 2009-07-16, 7:50PM PDT

A gunman wearing "priest clothing" sparked a shootout with police in Jersey City, New Jersey, early Thursday that ended with five officers wounded and the shooter and another suspect dead, authorities said.

Two of the officers sustained serious injuries, officials said.

The shootings began around 5 a.m. as two officers monitored a vehicle suspected of being involved in a recent armed robbery.

When a man went to the car, police approached him.

The man, dressed in what Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy described as "priest clothing," pulled out a shotgun and fired, grazing one officer in the leg, authorities said.

The suspect then fled to a nearby apartment, apparently with another person, Police Chief Thomas Comey told reporters at a news conference.

Police called in backup, including officers from the Port Authority, and evacuated other residents of the building. As they moved in for a tactical entry into the apartment, they were met with gunfire, officials said.

Four more officers were wounded, and the two suspects were killed in an exchange of gunfire there.

One suspect was "ready to go to war" in the way he was armed, Comey said.
Don't Miss

* WABC: Shootout closes blocks of Jersey City
* WPIX: Residents say gunfire was 'intense'

"This individual came fully ready to go to war with us," the chief said at a news conference. "This is not a normal shotgun ... and he decided to put these cops under fire." Video Watch chief describe suspect "ready for war" »

Of the five officers wounded, the two most seriously injured were in critical but stable condition Thursday night at the the Jersey City Medical Center, authorities said.

Officer Marc DiNardo, a 10-year veteran on the force, suffered two shots to the face, Comey said. Officer Michael Camacho, 25, suffered a gunshot to the neck that was considered a usually deadly wound, Comey said.
advertisement

Without extraordinary efforts of emergency medical personnel at the scene, the two might not have survived, Comey said.

"It was scene you see in a war movie," police Lt. Edgar Martinez said. "We had members of the emergency service unit covering EMTs who ran into the building to save these guys. You just don't see things like that."

Antimony

Strange choice for a title!!! This was on the Craigslist raves and rants with a clear agenda for banning guns

This was a shootout between 2 people wanted for robbery and the police. How and why is this labelled as a "responsible gun owner"?:(:)(:)((

To me this looks like 2 perps wanted a shooting match with the cops and got their just reqards for it. The cops, though injured, are looking like they would make it. Looks like a decent ending to me

The Associated Press: 2 officers remain hospitalized after NJ shootout
2 officers remain hospitalized after NJ shootout
By DAVID PORTER (AP) – 55 minutes ago

JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Two police officers seriously injured during a wild gun battle remained in critical condition Friday, while another officer whose bulletproof vest likely saved his life prepared to be released from the hospital.

Police continued to hold vigil at Jersey City Medical Center for Officers Marc DiNardo and Michael Camacho. They were among eight officers wounded in a shootout that left two armed robbery suspects dead.

DiNardo, 37, who was shot in the left side of the face, remained in critical condition Friday, Jersey City Police Director Sam Jefferson said. Doctors said Thursday that DiNardo had no signs of life when he was brought in and that the officer had to be revived several times.

"Everybody's upbeat. They're looking for him to pull out of it," Jefferson said Friday.

Camacho, 25, who was shot in the neck, had improved to the point where doctors were considering removing a breathing tube so he could breathe on his own, Jefferson said.

Officer Frank Molina, 35, who was shot in the back, was expected to be released from the hospital Friday afternoon or evening.

"The two slugs knocked him down," Jefferson said. "That vest saved his life."

Thursday's shootout erupted during a stakeout. Police said Hassan Shakur had been hiding a pump-action shotgun under a monk's robe when police approached him in the street at about 5:15 a.m., and he began firing.

The shootout ended when SWAT officers fought their way into a third-floor apartment where the suspects had taken cover at about 6:45 a.m. The officers were met by shotgun blasts that ripped through the apartment building's walls and doors.

Shakur, 32, and Amanda Anderson, 22, were pronounced dead at the scene. They had been wanted in connection with a June 18 armed robbery in Jersey City, where a man was shot with the same shotgun, police said. They also were suspected of a similar robbery in South Carolina

Jefferson said the release and publishing of a surveillance video from the June 18 robbery led to "a lot of calls, from all over" from people who recognized the pair, including at least one relative of Anderson.

He said they may have been expecting a confrontation with police.

"Who comes out to move their vehicle with a shotgun? They knew they were being hunted, and they were ready for anything," Jefferson said.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
My first reaction to the title was that I thought this was some kind of spoof. :D

When I read the article, I realized that this article was written by some ultra left wing anti-gun lobbyist. :2guns:

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
This is pretty funny.Why is this in the 'WAR on Terror' section?

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
My first reaction to the title was that I thought this was some kind of spoof. :D

When I read the article, I realized that this article was written by some ultra left wing anti-gun lobbyist. :2guns:
This was title in CNN crime section which was later took by many News websites .

Dressed as priest, man opens fire on N.J. cops
CNN
Published: July 17, 2009

Dressed as priest, man opens fire on N.J. cops | WCBD

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles