Resisting Brahmin judges, over 15,000 advocates boycott Madras HC

nrupatunga

Resisting Brahmin judges, over 15,000 advocates boycott Madras High Court proceedings
Demanding transparency in the appointment of new judges and recalling a list of 12 names sent to the Supreme Court, over 15,000 advocates of Madras High Court on Wednesday boycotted the court proceedings.

The advocates on Tuesday had laid siege to the chambers of the Chief Justice R.K. Agarwal and shouted slogans demanding him to be transparent in the selection process.

"If only names of those short-listed are shared with the Bar, the judiciary can avoid complications and issues like this. But alas, the whole process is not transparent and that is why we have decided to agitate and boycott the court proceedings on Wednesday," R.C. Paul Kanagaraj, president, Madras High Court Advocate Association (MHAA), had said.

Another major grievance of the advocates is the inclusion of three advocates, all Brahmins, into the selection list for appointment as High Court judges.

In fact, when a group of lawyers laid siege to chief justice's chamber, they openly shouted slogans against the inclusion of three Brahmin names in the list.

"Already there are seven Brahmin judges in the Madras High Court. If three more are added, their strength will become 10 and this will constitute 15 per cent of the total strength which is 60. There are several castes and communities which are not at all represented in the list," said J. Stalin Rajendran, an agitating advocate.

In fact, senior lawyer R. Gandhi, in a PIL filed in the High Court, contended in his petition that the inclusion of three Brahmins in the list was not only contrary to the prevailing practice of appointments on the basis of merits but also against social justice.

When the PIL came up for hearing before a division bench, Gandhi's counsel urged the matter to be referred to another bench as one of the judges was a Brahmin and another judge's senior's son's name was also in the present list.

Acceding to the demand, the bench transferred the PIL to a different bench.

Meanwhile, a large number of advocates want the present collegium system of appointments scrapped and seek a more transparent and viable system for the selection of judges.

"Entrance tests are conducted for office assistant's jobs. But for judges' appointments, just three persons make the selection. This collegium system should be done away with. Appointments should be transparent and on the basis of merit.

Moreover, it should be done as recommended by Justice K. Venkatachaliah's recommendations on the basis of giving representation to all sections of society," advocate V. Balu told India Today Online on the phone.
Is that senior lawyer R.Gandhi by any chance rahul gandhi???:confused:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though thought of posting this in Caste System and "Brahmanism" thread(will slowly go through this thread as it looks like a thread with lot of fireworks). Bit still posted it as a separate thread, only to get the opinion of a particular person. Though on certain issues i may disagree with him, ok let me put it this way, him and i have different pov on issues but still i "enjoy" his posts/views.

nirranj

Country flag
Hmmm.... DMK, DK and VCK fanatics... Judges, Doctors and Soldiers should be selected on merit. Not through reservation. So we can have say 60 judges for the 60 castes in TN?? What if some caste which has more population wants extra judges as they are majority caste in the state? Highly idiotic. This is called social injustice.

Phantom

What's wrong with these people? As it is, we have reservations everywhere in the Government under the guise of Affirmative Action. If, in spite of this handicap, a few Brahmins make their way to the top, it's still their fault??? Ridiculous!

Being born a Brahmin is neither a sin nor a privilege. I have a BIG problem with people who try to link something as random as birth with something as tangible as Merit.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
So what if the Brahmins are forming 15% of the board? As far as I have seen they Brahmins DO have a culture of education which surpasses others by a large margin and therefore naturally forms a greater number in every occupation where knowledge and wisdom is the key requirement like in Medical field and Engineering and in education, despite the reservation. None seems to mind when the Vaisya dominates the economy of this country, then why do they protest now?

When will this nation learn to give priority to skill and knowledge?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
neither caste nor religion nor merit is the criterior for the majority of selections...it is boot licking and "apna banda hai isse banao..."

occasionaly few get made judges due to merit but it isn't the norm.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles