Renowned rifle inventor Mikhail Kalashnikov dies at 94

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

The inventor of the iconic AK-47 assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died at the age of 94. "Today news sad news has arrived that Mikhail Kalashnikov has died after a lengthy illness," said the statement from the press secretary of the Udmurtia administration Viktor Chulkov. Kalashnikov, who had been suffering from heart-related problems in recent years, had been in intensive care in Izhevsk - where the plant that produces the eponymous rifles is located - since November 17. For most of his life, Kalashnikov was feted as an uncontroversial hero. The self-taught peasant turned tank mechanic who never finished high school, but achieved a remarkable and lasting feat of engineering while still in his twenties. But as the rifles, inextricably linked forever to their creator by name, were more and more commonly seen in the hands of terrorists, radicals and child soldiers, the inventor was often forced to defend himself to journalists. He was forever asked if he regretted engineering the weapon that probably killed more than any other in the last fifty years. "I invented it for the protection of the Motherland. I have no regrets and bear no responsibility for how politicians have used it," he told them. On a few occasions, when in a more reflective mood, the usually forceful Kalashnikov wondered what might have been. "I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists," he said once. "I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work – for example a lawnmower."

Read more here-
Renowned rifle inventor Mikhail Kalashnikov dies at 94 — RT News

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
RIP, he was great inventor, thought of rifle when he was wounded in hospital, It was, best part was that he thought about all the problems faced by soldier in field and he solved all that in his legendary rifle, we know as Ak 47......He didnt ask for Licence fee for his invention...............................Respect to him.

Last edited:

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
RIP ..

Millions have been killed because of this gun .

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
What about other Millions of lives which have been saved because of this gun ? :eyebrows:
This gun is widely use by mercenaries, militias and terrorists . its a gun for proxy wars .

According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, "30-50 million copies and variations of the AK-47 have been produced globally, making it the most widely used rifle in the world." They continue to be sought after by terrorist groups and paramilitaries, as well as gangs and drug dealers.

Last edited:

kseeker

Retired
This gun is widely use by mercenaries, militias and terrorists . its a gun for proxy wars .

According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, "30-50 million copies and variations of the AK-47 have been produced globally, making it the most widely used rifle in the world." They continue to be sought after by terrorist groups and paramilitaries, as well as gangs and drug dealers.

Agreed, I am not denying the facts however, Kalashnikov's are not just used by the mercenaries and their likes, it's being used by official forces of the countries as well who defend their border and thus their civilians.

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
Agreed, I am not denying the facts however, Kalashnikov's are not just used by the mercenaries and their likes, it's being used by official forces of the countries as well who defend their border and thus their civilians.
its indeed a great gun and this weapon suits in the hands of soldiers but we always see the misuse of this gun by mercenaries and terrorists and its the most easily available gun in black market because the Soviets were giving this weapon to all the leftist and communist regimes and guerrillas.

pmaitra

Rest in Peace!

What a legend. His name will reverberate the world forever!

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Mikhail Kalashnikov did not profit from his invention, unlike Eugene Stoner (M16 inventor, who got rich).

It is only fitting that the Izhmash and Izhevsk Mechanical Plant (AK manufacturer) have been merged and formally renamed Kalashnikov Concern.

Kalashnikov Concern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I invented a weapon to save the motherland, to save the state from fascism. My career has been dedicated to my country." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles