Renault and Nissan halt plans to invest €676m in India

blue marlin

Firms reportedly claim regional state government owes them tax refunds and subsidies

Renault and Nissan have reportedly asked the Indian government to intervene. Photograph: EPA/Sandro Campardo

Renault and Nissan have halted plans to invest 50 billion rupees (€676 million) in India because of payments they claim are owed by the Tamil Nadu state government, the Hindustan Times reported.

The carmakers, which jointly own a plant in Chennai, have asked the central government to intervene to help them recover 19 billion rupees in investment promotion subsidies and 27 billion rupees of tax refunds, the newspaper reported on Saturday, citing a letter written by Renault Nissan Automotive India Pvt to Amitabh Kant, the secretary of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion in New Delhi.

Ghazal Javed, a spokesman for Nissan’s India unit, and Jatin Aggarwal, a spokesman for Renault’s India unit, didn’t answer calls to their mobile phones and didn’t respond to messages seeking comment. –(Bloomberg)

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Can be true ........ TN is a leftist nightmare.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Nobody buys their shitty Romanian designed Dacia rebrands, or that same K9K SOHC engine rebranded over and over again. RNIL is a one hit wonder (Duster). You can milk the market only so much with a bland product portfolio.

I other news, both Hyundai and Suzuki are investing a billion dollars each, in new plants in Gujarat, since their current plants are not able to cope with demand.

pmaitra

Can be true ........ TN is a leftist nightmare.
Wrong perception about TN. TN is one of most industrialized states.
I agree. TN is industry friendly.

Let us not assume that private companies are the best thing after sliced bread. Private companies always expect sops, but some private companies don't see that their lack of competitiveness and unimaginative products that do not inspire customer's interests are responsible for their lack of success in the market. If Renault-Nissan cannot sell enough of their sorry excuses of cars, then they cannot provide enough jobs to the state where their factory is located, hence, they should be reminded not to think about subsidies and sops, and should be kicked out.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Exactly. Indian car-buyers will reward good products, backed by good after-sales support. Hyundai several other car-makers operate out of the same region where Renault-Nissan is facing "problems."

Renault-Nissan is simply not able to gauge the market correctly. A brief stroll through their laughable portfolio:
  • Datsun Go: Pathetic tin-can with dull plastic interiors that remind you of just how poor you are. Similarly-priced Wagon R gives you so much more, and feels more "aspirational."
  • Micra Active: Cheapened Micra with 3-cylinder motor, interiors feel cheap. Celerio or i10 give you a more rich feel for the same price
  • Micra/Pulse: Micra and Pulse are the same car. By themselves they're decent, but overpriced by 20% on average. Grand i10, Swift, or even Bolt
  • Sunny/Scala: Scala and Sunny are the same car. They're too sluggish and bulbous, the gear-clutchplay are a joke. SOHC engine with fixed-geometry turbo lags like a fat bitch. Buy Ciaz, Verna, or City instead
  • Duster/Terrano: Duster and Terrano are the same car. These were genuinely good, but haven't changed since 2011, their "facelifts" are insufficient, and need design overhauls. Creta, S-Cross, and upcoming TUV300 make them obsolete
  • Lodgy: Didn't learn from Xylo's mistakes, built a huge bread-box to compete with Innova. Feels like you're falling off a cliff even at 60 km/h turns
  • Fluence: Decent car, but has refinement issues due to 8V-SOHC engine, better alternatives such as Corolla/Octavia/Jetta
  • Koleos: Koleos who? Overpriced CBU that nobody cares about.

avknight1408

Country flag
Till date renault-nissan exports most of the cars made in its india plant. Are they scared of TUV300?

I_PLAY_BAD

Tamil Nadu is a leading job creator in manufacturing sector and one of the most industrialized. Anyone who thinks otherwise is myopic.

http://www.financialexpress.com/art...ator-in-manufacturing-sector-assocham/119496/

Tamil Nadu is one of the most capable state to kick-start the "Make in India" campaign as it already has good infrastructure. Though the present government is sluggish and lackadaisical there is a good future for Tamil Nadu which can contribute more to the nation's growth.

raya

Very likely.. I'm not biased against TN. Just that I have seen very hostile behaviour by the locals, for any outsider. Can't imagine the government to be any different.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles