Remembrance Day

desicanuk

I am curious.Is there Remembrance Day In India? November 11 in most Commonwealth countries.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Why would be wear a poppy for british soldiers ?

desicanuk

Who's talking about the Brits!Do we not remember those Indian soldiers who died in action during the two World Wars,1962,1965 and 1971 conflicts.Not to mention Kargil etc.Canadians,Austalians,New Zealanders,South Africans,Kenyans all pay homage to their
fallen soldiers not British soldiers.What do we do?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Yes, we should remember all Indian soldiers throughout history. But I cannot help but feel sad that millions of Indian lives were thrown away to fight in pointless European wars with no meaning to us.

I look on 11 November with the hope that no Indian in the future will have to fight for a country that is not theirs.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The military is not accorded the respect it deserves in India compared to other countries. The only time people think of the military is during war, at other times, it is a forgotten institution.

The low-key celebrations of any military-related event is probably a deliberate action on the part of the government and bureaucracy to forever relegate the armed forces to a secondary, subservient role in order to emphasize the principle of civilian control.

desicanuk

The military is not accorded the respect it deserves in India compared to other countries. The only time people think of the military is during war, at other times, it is a forgotten institution.

The low-key celebrations of any military-related event is probably a deliberate action on the part of the government and bureaucracy to forever relegate the armed forces to a secondary, subservient role in order to emphasize the principle of civilian control.

Thank you.We should not forget those who gave their lives.Whether they gave should have sacrificed their lives for some other country is a debate for another topic.The important point is that once a year on a day determined by our armed forces we should
remember those who gave up that which is most precious.Jai Jawan.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
The bottom line is the courage of these young boys and their parents to fight against the evil ideas of enemy should be appreciated and honoured throughout our lives. Ours was an occupied land as was Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many more British territories who sent their sons to the war as well, it is not the fault of theirs that they fought on behalf of British Empire of that time. Therefore we cannot take this plea and question, why should we wear poppy for British soldiers. When, I wear the poppy it is for our sons and daughters who made the ultimate sacrifice on our behalf so that we can enjoy the life as we do now.

As a youngster growing up in an Air Force family has helped me to understand and appreciate the hard work and dedication of our armed forces for the nation. I am not saying those of us who do not grow up in armed forces family are in any way less appreciative of our armed forces. My father has been a soldier since 1944 and saw action in Burma during second World war as well as three other war which were imposed on India. Thank god that we did not loose him in any of those war theatres . So I would like to request our friends in India to organize a movement to force Government to set aside a day when the whole nation pays homage and respect to our sons and daughters who the ultimate sacrifice and respect to the serving soldiers. For me our soldiers of the free world are always in my prayers and pray for their victory and safety daily.

Jai Jawan, Jai Hind.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I am curious.Is there Remembrance Day In India? November 11 in most Commonwealth countries.
The only time GOI brings out its forces is on the August 15 and January 26.I grew up in Air Force family and never experienced the day where GOI would pay homage and respect to unified Armed Forces of the nation.

Thank you for asking the question, you did beat me at this. The same question crossed my mind as well. It is good to know individual like you who believes in this cause. I hope you can motivate more of desi people to join rest of Canadians to appreciate and pay homage to our soldiers for their dedication and sometimes ultimate sacrifice to defend so that rest of us can live in a free and democratic nation.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes.

Remembrance Day is remembered in India, in honour of the many soldiers who died in WWI and WWII and also for those who died after Independence.

It is only the Army who do the honours by laying the wreath at the India Gate and the Cenotaph in Kolkata.

WWII casualty - Undivided India (87,032).

WWI casialty - Undivided India 74,187

Independent India does not have a National Military Memorial.

We use India Gate which was constructed for the Indian soldiers who died in WWI and WWII.

India Gate was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, inspired by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. It was built in 1931. Originally known as All India War Memorial.

Last edited:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Yes.

Remembrance Day is remembered in India, in honour of the many soldiers who died in WWI and WWII and also for those who died after Independence.

It is only the Army who do the honours by laying the wreath at the India Gate and the Cenotaph in Kolkata.

WWII casualty - Undivided India (87,032).

WWI casialty - Undivided India 74,187

Independent India does not have a National Military Memorial.

We use India Gate which was constructed for the Indian soldiers who died in WWI and WWII.

India Gate was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, inspired by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. It was built in 1931. Originally known as All India War Memorial.
Thank you Ray for your contribution, I look forward to reading your posts. I also read in one of the post that you were in Army. Where can I read in more details about your life in Army. I have few classmates who were commissioned in the three wings of our Armed forces.

Regards.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Thank you Ray for your contribution, I look forward to reading your posts. I also read in one of the post that you were in Army. Where can I read in more details about your life in Army. I have few classmates who were commissioned in the three wings of our Armed forces.

Regards.
I was in the Army.

Now, I am retired and relaxing.

I am not aware as to how young you are, but then I am as far and beyond as Mohenjodaro and Harappa all rolled in one! :)

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I was in the Army.

Now, I am retired and relaxing.

I am not aware as to how young you are, but then I am as far and beyond as Mohenjodaro and Harappa all rolled in one! :)
Late 50's. and feel like 16 year old. This number has struck with me for ever. I do not know why.

I hope you are making best use of your retired years and keep yourself busy.

All the best for your health.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Yes, we should remember all Indian soldiers throughout history. But I cannot help but feel sad that millions of Indian lives were thrown away to fight in pointless European wars with no meaning to us.

QUOTE]

The Scots and Irish no doubt have the same feelings.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Let us not get carried away because these same Indian soldiers under the brits were also used to beat down Indians in India.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Let us not get carried away because these same Indian soldiers under the brits were also used to beat down Indians in India.
If your empire is big enough and diverse enough there is an obvious pattern. An example is using soldiers from Mongolian SSR to beat down the Hungarians in 1956.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I wonder if by that logic, I should not get carried away about Marattas because the same chaps under Maratha ruler and his marauders (callled borgis in Bengal)regularly raided Odisha and Bengal and devastated the people and took away the grains and riches.

Bargis indulged in large scale plundering of the countryside dominated western part of Bengal for about ten years (1741–1751). Bargi invasions took place almost as an annual event.

The Bargi invasions played on the creative impulse of the people. Even to this day, mothers in Bengal sing the cradle song to put their children to sleep -

chhele ghumalo, pada judalo bargi elo deshe
bulbulite dhan kheyechhe, khajna debo kise?

ছেলে ঘুমালো পাড়া জুড়ালো বর্গী এল দেশে
বুলবুলিতে ধান খেয়েছে খাজনা দেব কিসে
ধান ফুরোলো পান ফুরোলো খাজনার উপায় কি?
আর কটা দিন সবুর কর রসুন বুনেছি।

When the children fall asleep, silence sets in, the Bargis come to our lands
Bulbulis (birds) have eaten the grains, how shall I pay the rent?

Last edited:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I wonder if by that logic, I should not get carried away about Marattas because the same chaps under Maratha ruler and his marauders (callled borgis in Bengal)regularly raided Odisha and Bengal and devastated the people and took away the grains and riches.

Bargis indulged in large scale plundering of the countryside dominated western part of Bengal for about ten years (1741–1751). Bargi invasions took place almost as an annual event.

The Bargi invasions played on the creative impulse of the people. Even to this day, mothers in Bengal sing the cradle song to put their children to sleep -

chhele ghumalo, pada judalo bargi elo deshe
bulbulite dhan kheyechhe, khajna debo kise?

ছেলে ঘুমালো পাড়া জুড়ালো বর্গী এল দেশে
বুলবুলিতে ধান খেয়েছে খাজনা দেব কিসে
ধান ফুরোলো পান ফুরোলো খাজনার উপায় কি?
আর কটা দিন সবুর কর রসুন বুনেছি।

When the children fall asleep, silence sets in, the Bargis come to our lands
Bulbulis (birds) have eaten the grains, how shall I pay the rent?
Thank you for sharing the history of gone by years. I learned something new.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sadakhush,

Thank you.

My aim is that while one should be proud as Indians, valour of our countrymen should not be forgotten. Just look at it as a remembrance of the dead and salute to valour.

Koovie

How can we proud about all these soldiers who fought for our oppressors in other peoples wars? They told us that we would fight for freedom and democracy thousands of miles away from home.... but at the same time they didnt give us freedom and democracy in India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles