Religious Forum Section now open on DFI

A.V.

Dear members recently we noticed political debates were dragged into unnecessary religious bashings and topics, which was bad and unwanted here , but then members have requested that if some members want to do a mature analysis and debate on various aspects of religion in a very scholarly manner they are getting affected.

As you know we dfi staff is not here to delete posts and topics we value your time spent to post but at the same time we have to maintain a good atmosphere and maturity in the forum therefore we have devised a way out .

We have introduced a RELIGION|CULTURE section/forum on dfi , this forum section is on approval basis you can post and wait for the mods approval so that things remain good and sane.

So all religious topics now on on the religious subforum under political section , not all posts will be approved by good posts within the rules of the forum will definitely be approved .

We request members not to PM mods for approval.It will be done so in due course depending on mod availability and also on the discretion of mods.
We would welcome posts with credible links to emphasize any points.
Any one liners and kind of adding 2 paise posts will not be approved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you can share tweets to your account wall or on dfi wall from the side icons , log into your twitter account and keep updating your tweets while browsing dfi at the same time ,

Similar facebook widget is on the right side of the page , do facebook and dfi together on one window hence forth , like the posts and share with friends .

NOW YOUR FAVOURITE FACEBOOK ,TWITTER AND DEFENCEFORUMINDIA on a single tab and one window all together and easily operated .

happy posting
dfi

A.V.

Request all members to make use of the features and post in proper forum sections

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Thanks a ton AVi !!

I hope approval will be principally strict & hence will prevent anyone inadvertently trying to sabotage the quality of DFI.

Thanks a lot again..! :peace:

Rage

DFI TEAM
So, can we continue & carry on that discussion on the religious forum.

I don't believe that thread belongs on the Religious forum, bytheway. A very important point was being made, one with immediate and prolific relevance to the Politics of this nation.

And that discussion was held short.

I believe it should be in the Politics section. Because, no accusations are being made, only a discussion about perception.

Still, if it is the will of the mods, that discussion can be continued on the religious forum.

JayATL

Although the intentions are good. This will be the most vitriolic section on DFI. there is nothing such as a ' civilized' conversation that prevails when talking about religion. Mark my words- this is section will either be deleted or it pull DFI down. Religion is way too opaque to have a scientific like conversation about it.

Let me start by an example: what If I post " All religion is the bane of mankind" - religion has caused more deaths than any other man made efforts ? and THEN start listing how Hinduism has slaughtered women and children in the name of religion , or how Christianity has done the same and Islam has propagated its crimes against humanity...

Imagine If I started a topic like that? it could be a topic that lists facts ( numbers , stats of war started), very clinical like approach. IT STILL WONT MATTER! it will invite vitriol...

Anyways...It's just my opinion.

Last edited:

pmaitra

^^ I too am a bit apprehensive, especially after seeing some recent discussions. The good thing is that the posts will be pre-moderated. Let us hope for the best.

Rage

DFI TEAM
^ I agree with that. I don't believe a religious forum should be included.

But that being said, I believe religion, when it is in the context of politics, should be discussed. And that we should all wear our thick skins.

For otherwise, we will never go anywhere. Let's face it, the subcontinent is a religious place. And religion is crucial to the understanding of politics in this part of the world. But we don't have to make it a pre-occupation of our lives. We do, however, have to understand it, in our discussions about politics.

I hope members will have a more sane head about this. That, being said, I do believe members had a 'sane head', and that the mods over-reacted to this.

p2prada

Although the intentions are good. This will be the most vitriolic section on DFI. there is nothing such as a ' civilized' conversation that prevails when talking about religion. Mark my words- this is section will either be deleted or it pull DFI down. Religion is way too opaque to have a scientific like conversation about it.

Let me start by an example: what If I post " All religion is the bane of mankind" - religion has caused more deaths than any other man made efforts ? and THEN start listing how Hinduism has slaughtered women and children in the name of religion , or how Christianity has done the same and Islam has propagated its crimes against humanity...

Imagine If I started a topic like that? it could be a topic that lists facts ( numbers , stats of war started), very clinical like approach. IT STILL WONT MATTER! it will invite vitriol...

Anyways...It's just my opinion.
I would support you in that.

Religion is way too opaque to have a scientific like conversation about it.
I am no longer interested in getting into discussions where theists proving God and religion is like the Scottish trying to prove the existence of the Lockness Monster.

But this thread is meant for the religious discussions concerning the nation in general and its effects on people. So, atheism or agnosticism isn't a major point of discussion here. After all the terrorist bullets in Mumbai did not differentiate between Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs or some lone atheist in the mix.

It isn't a religion vs truth thread. It is a "this" religion vs "that" religion thread. :p

JayATL

The good thing is that the posts will be pre-moderated. Let us hope for the best.
Its not worth it- because who is going to interpret the intent of the poster? ( a Hindu / Muslim/ christian/ atheist moderator?) . it not to late to take a poll amongst the members here and ask if they want such a section. . keep it for a few weeks. this is a very sensitive subject to not have the entire communities view.

You can't start or should not , in my humble opinion, start a forum because .000001% of your member base is vocal. the majority maybe be silent but that does not mean they advocate religion based debates.

I don't know if I'm making sense here... but I tried.

Last edited:

captonjohn

Country flag
Moderation on post is a good idea and it must for religious section to be approved to prevent the discussion from spoiling and deviating for unhealthy debate. Truly welcome this section but personally I think religion must be limited to only mosque, church and temple. Excess thing is harmful for everyone.

captonjohn

Country flag
Agree with Jay, even religious section is live but discussion in this topic can easily go wrong and it may result people will be less active in this section. Several time Mod may need to close thread to prevent it to go too much wrong and off topic. I think DFI has created a lot of work load for Mods to review comments. Having poll is a good idea.

Rage

DFI TEAM
I would support you in that.

I am no longer interested in getting into discussions where theists proving God and religion is like the Scottish trying to prove the existence of the Lockness Monster.

But this thread is meant for the religious discussions concerning the nation in general and its effects on people. So, atheism or agnosticism isn't a major point of discussion here. After all the terrorist bullets in Mumbai did not differentiate between Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs or some lone atheist in the mix.

It isn't a religion vs truth thread. It is a "this" religion vs "that" religion thread. :p
Its not worth it- because who is going to interpret the intent of the poster? ( a Hindu / Muslim/ christian/ atheist moderator?) . it not to late to take a poll amongst the members here and ask if they want such a section. . keep it for a few weeks. this is a very sensitive subject to not have the entire communities view.

You can't start or should not , in my humble opinion, start a forum because .000001% of your member base is vocal. the majority maybe be silent but that does not mean they advocate religion based debates.

I don't know if I'm making sense here... but I tried.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I think a religious forum is not warranted.

We can, and should however, be able to discuss religions, without going into doctrines, theism, etc. when it comes to politics. Because we cannot understand the subcontinent's politics, without alluding to the intra-dynamics between religions.

I hope moderators will take heed of these strong proposals.

I also agree that a poll on the question of a religious forum is admissible, because that will give members a chance to decide. But that a greater tolerance of the discussions of religion in society, and of social religion in politics, is warranted.

JayATL

if you want to grow your community, nothing like having the anti growth pill of religions being discussed. black waters post that got locked about Muslims propagating in larger numbers, was clinically correct. That they do tend to have larger families( statically proven fact), but yet it is a generalization and offensive to discuss- to any Muslim because it paints a picture of backwardness. So where do we draw the barrier- speak the truth about ' majority of a religious bases practices only or only allow a certain views of religion, even if majority of its people follow it". If so , why was it locked when you had several others come and essentially qualify or give their stamp of approval to that sentiment.

( btw, I agree with being locked)

Last edited:

Oracle

This was an announcement by A.V. You guys have made it a thread, awesome :D

warriorextreme

Country flag
most of the threads are closed because they go off the topic and get religious topics..
so i have doubt with this new religion section..lets see how it works.

captonjohn

Country flag
I truly don't expect such section in a defense forum specially in DFI. Discussing religious matters is like playing with fire and oil, both can catch fire easily and mods can't filter all comments effectively. In this way if something goes wrong then mods will be addressed as responsible for this instead of the guy who had posted that comment. I won't even comment in that section to avoid myself getting engaged in it.

Rage

DFI TEAM
if you want to grow your community, nothing like having the anti growth pill of religions being discussed. black waters post that got locked about Muslims propagating in larger numbers, was clinically correct. That they do tend to have larger families( statically proven fact), but yet it is a generalization and offensive to discuss- to any Muslim because it paints a picture of backwardness. So where do we draw the barrier- speak the truth about ' majority of a religious bases practices only or only allow a certain views of religion, even if majority of its people follow it". If so , why was it locked when you had several others come and essentially qualify or give their stamp of approval to that sentiment.

( btw, I agree with being locked)

I don't. Because these issues are something of great concern to us, affect our internal security, and are of great relevance to the immediate political and economic issues we face. They affect our politics directly. And if we suppress and fail to discuss them, we will be hurting only ourselves. Everything within moderation. Ofcourse, but I do believe this should be held on the political plain. For when you have a Religious forum, you make the discussion purely religious.

We are not raised with the same culture of political-correctness. To us, it is not about being uniform. We are encouraged to be different, under one banner and flag. But we must discuss issues that make us prick, for otherwise they will remain stale and come to no conclusion.

If a Muslim is confronted with an issue of high-demographics, it must be a matter of pride to him that we discuss it. For otherwise, how can he improve his society. His community, his nation? As long as the discussion is held scientifically, and the relevance to immediate politics is held, it should not be a problem. And I and everyone else should realize that this is not a personal comment on me, or my fervour or my religion.

And I think, most importantly, people should read the discussions before giving a comment. For that leads to the derailing of discussions, and the spoiling of things.

This was an announcement by A.V. You guys have made it a thread, awesome :D
It's an announcement, but I think it's worthy of being discussed. :D

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
DFI is a defence forum. But being from the sub continent, its but inevitable that religion creeps into a lot of discussions. When the forum started, we had a blanket ban on no religion based discussions. Members requested for it to be allowed and then it was agreed to do so but with strict rule about bashing one religion or another. Things got ugly before as well and we banned it and then re-introduced it as we have good posters with lots of insight and they cannot be penalized by not giving them a platform to share their knowledge. We have on previous occasions made announcements about discouraging religion based discussions.
But like I said before its inevitable that religion will creep into discussions.

Our endeavor here is to have a high quality sub forum for academic discussion on anything to do with religion, religion based politics etc... We will discourage one or two liners and appreciate good insights in relevant subject with credible links. We have seen over a period of time, some people are there just to flame. This will eliminate them. It also will not lead to threads getting locked and penalize those who take a lot of effort to post responsibly.

The mod team on DFI is diverse with mods from different regions as well as religious background. But you will also notice that from day one, none of the mods have ever engaged in any religion based discussion except to intervene or post something that's academic in nature. The staff team is apolitical and areligious. It will be the best endeavor of the staff to keep discussions healthy and help members learn from one another.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles