Rajapakse wins key election. Sri Lanka becomes politically unstable.

dhananjay1

I have been visiting this site solely for the comments section (to gauge public opinion of India and China): adaderana.lk
How representative are these commentators of the actual sentiment Sinhalese and Lankan-Tamils have w.r.t. India?
How representative are they about actual sentiments of the people of Sri-Lanka regarding China?
They are giving tough competition to pakis at being rabid and paranoid about India.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Again, India today isn't taking any real actions regarding Sri Lanka, either positive or negative. And as you yourself said, SL will practically become a part of China. So which country is a bigger threat to your sovereignty and independence? Remember, its not India which has taken over your port after you couldnt pay back your loan. So I would advise rethinking which country to be wary of.
Sri Lanka do not wish to become part of China but if India continues to threaten Sri Lanka just like these days, future Sri Lankan leaders might welcome China with open arms without thinking twice. That is the real danger for India. If the current trend continues, Sri Lanka will surely split into two or possibly three parts. The bigger part would surely be looking to China for military aids. They already have a harbor in Sri Lanka with 15,000 acres of land at their disposal. God only know what will China do if they were allowed a free hand in Sri Lanka.

Selling of the port was a political gimmick to hurt Rajapakse. It was an unnecessary thing to do.

HeinzGud

Country flag
They are giving tough competition to pakis at being rabid and paranoid about India.
With a neighbor like India why should not we paranoid about it? Just take a look no country is happy with India in the neighborhood.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
The more India help Sri Lankan Tamils the more Sinhalese view it as an act of aggression.
It is mostly not about the communications but about the actions. The more India antagonize Sri Lanka the more it will drift towards China until it practically becomes part of it.
I will ask again, what are the specific actions that India is taking which is making it the enemy? Your previous examples pointed to ambivalent words that can be taken in the wrong way, not any actions.

Secondly, as you yourself said, SL will become a de facto colony of China in the future. So its up to your people do decide whether they want to give up their status as a sovereign country in response to a few words in a speech.

Thirdly, Sri Lankan Tamils are also Sri Lankan, I hope you agree, so strengthening them helps the Sri Lankan economy as a whole does it not? And by strengthening I mean building infrastructure and housing, not supporting terrorist activities.

captscooby81

Country flag
Ha ha ha you are now taking it too far . Let's put some sense here . SL drifting towards China geographically impossible you are right below us in IOR and China is far away in south china sea sadly you being island nation the nearest landmass to your country is India . You simply saying India should not do this not do that or else we will drift towards uncle chin is nothing but a straight face on blackmail . Are you dreaming of becoming the next Cuba in this world and want to play for another super power and get yourself in trouble . With a port and 15000 acres of land Chinese can put what 200k or 300k soldiers and 30-40 ships do you think that will save you when a conflict erupts between India and China . . ?

Wow indita Gandhi is your fav now is that because she given kacha theevu in palk straits to SL. By the way it was Indira who also given safe heavens for LTTE in India .

With a neighbor like India why should not we paranoid about it? Just take a look no country is happy with India in the neighborhood.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I will ask again, what are the specific actions that India is taking which is making it the enemy? Your previous examples pointed to ambivalent words that can be taken in the wrong way, not any actions.

Secondly, as you yourself said, SL will become a de facto colony of China in the future. So its up to your people do decide whether they want to give up their status as a sovereign country in response to a few words in a speech.

Thirdly, Sri Lankan Tamils are also Sri Lankan, I hope you agree, so strengthening them helps the Sri Lankan economy as a whole does it not? And by strengthening I mean building infrastructure and housing, not supporting terrorist activities.
It is not what India is doing currently but what it had done so far since 1980s. Specially the appeasement of the Tamils.

Our people will decide it only if the situation turned out to be worse. It is India's responsibility to keep things under control.

Of course Sri Lankan Tamils are Sri Lankan citizens and also they do pretty well compared with the rest of the communities except for the war torn North. India should stop viewing Sri Lankan Tamils as only residents of Northern province. More than 50% of the Sri Lankan Tamils live outside of the so called North and East.

Last edited:

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

Please try and understand that @HeinzGud is trying to explain the inertia of the Sri Lankan people's thought process. They are anti-India due to our mishandling of the Tamil-Sinhala ethnic conflict, and these sentiments will not be changed so easily just because we are not doing anything to undermine their interests right now.
Crowd mentality has an inertia far too great, and the mindset of a population can not be affected so easily.

If we want to change this, it is going to take a generation of no mistakes and relentless efforts from our sides. If we try too hard to pressure the Sri Lankans the wrong way, to keep them from falling in Chinese hands, then it is going to blow back in our face. The current Chinese overtures will lead to greater involvement of China in Sri Lanka, and we need to accept this to an extent. We need to accept it because we made a mistake with the way we handled (mishandled) our ties with Sri Lanka in the past. If we try to stay in denial mode w.r.t. to this, we are only going to push the Sri Lankans further into the Chinese orbit.

You talk about supporting the Sri Lankan tamils. Truth is, its none of our business. We need to deal with Sri Lanka as a a country, and we need to avoid taking sides in an ethnic conflict, which was the mistake we made before.

Stop giving ultimatum to the Sri Lankans, asking them to mend their ways and reject Chinese overtures. We are only going to make them more defiant with the high-handedness in our approach. We need to be smart about this. We need to accept more Chinese influence in Sri Lanka than we are comfortable with. We need to give the Sri Lankans the autonomy to decide between balancing ties with India and China or acquiescing to the Chinese at the cost of ties with India. The option of them rejecting China in favour of India was closed by us with our short-sighted policies, so we need to stop pushing for that option.

Over time, the people of Sri Lanka will see reason, and will try to balance ties with India and China. That is the best case scenario for us in the medium term. If we hope or try for anything more than that, we loose.

They have a good reason for it, unlike the Pakis.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Ha ha ha you are now taking it too far . Let's put some sense here . SL drifting towards China geographically impossible you are right below us in IOR and China is far away in south china sea sadly you being island nation the nearest landmass to your country is India . You simply saying India should not do this not do that or else we will drift towards uncle chin is nothing but a straight face on blackmail . Are you dreaming of becoming the next Cuba in this world and want to play for another super power and get yourself in trouble . With a port and 15000 acres of land Chinese can put what 200k or 300k soldiers and 30-40 ships do you think that will save you when a conflict erupts between India and China . . ?

Wow indita Gandhi is your fav now is that because she given kacha theevu in palk straits to SL. By the way it was Indira who also given safe heavens for LTTE in India .
Let's face it. Sri Lanka is not located in a back water as Cuba. Sri Lanka is situated in the main east west sea route. Moreover, China is making inroads in Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar and also in Thailand with the Kra canal project. Do not think that Sri Lanka is alone in this.

I don't know how will India respond to a multi front war with China as such a scenario was alien to every one of us. My point is that if god forbids that Sri Lanka split into several parts under Indian auspicious patronage. Then it will be matter of time before Sri Lankan leaders would seek China's assistance to keep the status quo.

Country flag
People protested about it initially but the cash trapped Yahapalana government went ahead and signed the deal. Anyhow Sri Lankan people consider Chinese to be lesser evil than Indians.

Indian bureaucrats tried that earlier but found Rajapaksa to be more resilient to bribing. What Indians must understand is that Rajapksa is not like other politicians of Sri Lanka he genuinely have a interest about Sri Lanka and it's people thus we would do his best to keep the Sri Lankan interest upheld.
If Sri Lankan people do consider Indians as evil, then Indians should respond in kind to Sri Lankans.

The Chinese did well, making Rajapaksa sign the deal, It is another thing that some part of it, i.e. the Rajapaksa Airport will be given to Indians, even in that way monkey balancing by the Sri Lankan government is fine, as long as Indian interests are taken care of. No body gave a damn about Sri Lankan people's interests here, when the loans were taken from China in the end Sri Lankans ended up paying 95% of their revenue as interests and sell the land on top of It.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadesh...ven-know-how-much-money-it-owes/#1f469e5c4608

Its the matter of who buys Sri Lanka first, China or India, I agree Chinese have made a good start and India is behind. And Its Rajapaksa who started this selling of Sri Lankan sovereignty, so It is only natural to expect renewed efforts towards this once he's back in power.

HeinzGud

Country flag
If Sri Lankan people do consider Indians as evil, then Indians should respond in kind to Sri Lankans.

The Chinese did well, making Rajapaksa sign the deal, It is another thing that some part of it, i.e. the Rajapaksa Airport will be given to Indians, even in that way monkey balancing by the Sri Lankan government is fine, as long as Indian interests are taken care of. No body gave a damn about Sri Lankan people's interests here, when the loans were taken from China in the end Sri Lankans ended up paying 95% of their revenue as interests and sell the land on top of It.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadesh...ven-know-how-much-money-it-owes/#1f469e5c4608

Its the matter of who buys Sri Lanka first, China or India, I agree Chinese have made a good start and India is behind. And Its Rajapaksa who started this selling of Sri Lankan sovereignty, so It is only natural to expect renewed efforts towards this once he's back in power.
It doesn't matter India being evil to us right now. We have been seeing the evil side of India since the 1980s.

Also about the airport. It is highly unlikely that the present government should consider selling Mattala to India unless Ranil W would form a new government tomorrow. In any case there will be severe backlash to such a deal.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Please try and understand that @HeinzGud is trying to explain the inertia of the Sri Lankan people's thought process. They are anti-India due to our mishandling of the Tamil-Sinhala ethnic conflict, and these sentiments will not be changed so easily just because we are not doing anything to undermine their interests right now.
Crowd mentality has an inertia far too great, and the mindset of a population can not be affected so easily.

If we want to change this, it is going to take a generation of no mistakes and relentless efforts from our sides. If we try too hard to pressure the Sri Lankans the wrong way, to keep them from falling in Chinese hands, then it is going to blow back in our face. The current Chinese overtures will lead to greater involvement of China in Sri Lanka, and we need to accept this to an extent. We need to accept it because we made a mistake with the way we handled (mishandled) our ties with Sri Lanka in the past. If we try to stay in denial mode w.r.t. to this, we are only going to push the Sri Lankans further into the Chinese orbit.

You talk about supporting the Sri Lankan tamils. Truth is, its none of our business. We need to deal with Sri Lanka as a a country, and we need to avoid taking sides in an ethnic conflict, which was the mistake we made before.

Stop giving ultimatum to the Sri Lankans, asking them to mend their ways and reject Chinese overtures. We are only going to make them more defiant with the high-handedness in our approach. We need to be smart about this. We need to accept more Chinese influence in Sri Lanka than we are comfortable with. We need to give the Sri Lankans the autonomy to decide between balancing ties with India and China or acquiescing to the Chinese at the cost of ties with India. The option of them rejecting China in favour of India was closed by us with our short-sighted policies, so we need to stop pushing for that option.

Over time, the people of Sri Lanka will see reason, and will try to balance ties with India and China. That is the best case scenario for us in the medium term. If we hope or try for anything more than that, we loose.

They have a good reason for it, unlike the Pakis.
Whatever. We're a big country. I'm going back to my previous point that we should stop bothering about our neighbours for now and concentrate on our own growth. We still need to do massive infrastructure buildup and extensive skill development which will take a lot of effort. Our top priority is to keep GDP growth above 8% for the next 15 years. If our neighbouring countries wish to become chinese colonies, that is their choice. As long as they will not be used as military or terrorist launch pads, no need to worry. And another thing these countries should keep in mind, is that if they do provide logistical support to China in case of a war, then regardless of who wins this war, it is their own infrastructure that will be destroyed and their civilians that will die in the tens of thousands from Indian counter attacks on Chinese forces there. So they can become proxy battlefields at their own peril.

Adioz

Whatever. We're a big country. I'm going back to my previous point that we should stop bothering about our neighbours for now and concentrate on our own growth. We still need to do massive infrastructure buildup and extensive skill development which will take a lot of effort. Our top priority is to keep GDP growth above 8% for the next 15 years. If our neighbouring countries wish to become chinese colonies, that is their choice. As long as they will not be used as military or terrorist launch pads, no need to worry. And another thing these countries should keep in mind, is that if they do provide logistical support to China in case of a war, then regardless of who wins this war, it is their own infrastructure that will be destroyed and their civilians that will die in the tens of thousands from Indian counter attacks on Chinese forces there. So they can become proxy battlefields at their own peril.
Thankfully we have separate departments for Economic growth and Foreign Policy :laugh:

I do agree that we need to lay low for now and concentrate on our own economic growth. It is overt meddling that gave us the burnt fingers in Sri Lanka that we got.
We do need to modify our foreign policy vis-a-vis our neighbours. If we allow state governments to hijack foreign policy (like Tamil Nadu did Sri Lanka and W.Bengal is doing Bangladesh), we will end up at a disadvantage. We need to focus on creating a better image of India in the minds of the people f our neighbouring countries (I know, easier said than done).

The key to higher growth, however, also lies with greater economic integration in the region. I think we must concentrate on good ties with Bangladesh as it is pivotal to development of North East and our Look East policy. Thank god Zia is jailed.

I do hope Rajapakse sees some wisdom in balancing ties, rather than falling completely into Chinese orbit. Its a hope that will likely be crushed, but a hope nevertheless.

Country flag
It doesn't matter India being evil to us right now. We have been seeing the evil side of India since the 1980s.

Also about the airport. It is highly unlikely that the present government should consider selling Mattala to India unless Ranil W would form a new government tomorrow. In any case there will be severe backlash to such a deal.
Lets, see who in ends up buying Sri Lankan sovereignty, Its a race Rajapaksa airport might be just a start for India then there's Trincomalee etc, and as I said no body gives a Jack shit on what people think there.

Your Government is paying 95% of revenue as interests of loan, Public backlash is the last thing in their mind.

Country flag
We are the one here, there no USA, like the Germans have against Soviets/Russians, or Japanese against the Chinese. Can't keep turning a blind eye, and let Chinese take countries after countries in the neighborhood.

We are the one there, no one's coming to save our interests. In the end we might end up surrounded where our trade, commerce, communication gets dependent on the Chinese and our every military movement is tracked, like USA does with Chinese through their Island chains.

I doubt normal public in Sri Lanka wants a scenario where Nuclear missiles are pointed towards Chinese bases in their country. Its another thing that corrupt politicians with their short shortsightedness is making sure this happens, where both Sri Lankans, Indians and others in the area suffer and Chinese sit and laugh over it.

All the money and growth your are talking about will remain subservient to Chinese whims in the region, I doubt anyone wants such situation here.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Thankfully we have separate departments for Economic growth and Foreign Policy :laugh:

I do agree that we need to lay low for now and concentrate on our own economic growth. It is overt meddling that gave us the burnt fingers in Sri Lanka that we got.
We do need to modify our foreign policy vis-a-vis our neighbours. If we allow state governments to hijack foreign policy (like Tamil Nadu did Sri Lanka and W.Bengal is doing Bangladesh), we will end up at a disadvantage. We need to focus on creating a better image of India in the minds of the people f our neighbouring countries (I know, easier said than done).

The key to higher growth, however, also lies with greater economic integration in the region. I think we must concentrate on good ties with Bangladesh as it is pivotal to development of North East and our Look East policy. Thank god Zia is jailed.

I do hope Rajapakse sees some wisdom in balancing ties, rather than falling completely into Chinese orbit. Its a hope that will likely be crushed, but a hope nevertheless.
With Bangladesh yes, closer economic ties will greatly improve our North Eastern region and Bengal, especially if we connect it with the rest of South East Asia through Myanmar. As far as Sri Lanka is concerned, I dont think we should do anything at this point. Let them ride the chinese roller coaster till they see some sense.
We are the one here, there no USA, like the Germans have against Soviets/Russians, or Japanese against the Chinese. Can't keep turning a blind eye, and let Chinese take countries after countries in the neighborhood.

We are the one there, no one's coming to save our interests. In the end we might end up surrounded where our trade, commerce, communication gets dependent on the Chinese and our every military movement is tracked, like USA does with Chinese through their Island chains.

I doubt normal public in Sri Lanka wants a scenario where Nuclear missiles are pointed towards Chinese bases in their country. Its another thing that corrupt politicians with their short shortsightedness is making sure this happens, where both Sri Lankans, Indians and others in the area suffer and Chinese sit and laugh over it.

All the money and growth your are talking about will remain subservient to Chinese whims in the region, I doubt anyone wants such situation here.
The Indian coastline is vast, and there is no island chain that keeps our navy limited to our littoral waters, like what China is facing. And most of our trade can be with Europe, US, middle east, SE Asia etc, especially if we transition to a high value chain economy, which chinese cannot do anything about. There is no way our growth can ever become "subservient" to china.

Dont worry.

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
The ties all already are speculated to go down with Sri Lanka with 2 transhipment ports coming up in Vizhinjam in kerela and enayam port in tamil nadu under sagarmala project before that all transhipment use to happen in Colombo ,vizhinjam port is said to come up very soon even though communist are in kerela they awarded it to adani ,and they already operate ports in kandla, gujrat

Country flag
Tamilians in Sri Lanka had genuine demands and deserved to get their share, but instead of being flexible and taking India into confidence, they went to Vatican and India had to pull out the hand.

In the end Vactican used these stupid people to fulfill the goal and dumped them to be hunted down like dogs by Sinhalese, what more in their dying days they took help from LeT and ended up being pounded by POF ammunition, here again Pakistanis used them to their benefit.

In the end their value was limited to nuisance creation in the region which invited outside powers, hence India was left with no option but to let them die.

Bangladeshis realized what was good for them and took India into confidence, which was the right way to do It. Even after their establishment they have done well to take care of nuisance creators from time to time. They have been quiet patriotic in contrast to Sri Lankans, this may be due to the fact that they shed their blood to get their freedom, while Sri Lankans got that free of costs.

Country flag
The Indian coastline is vast, and there is no island chain that keeps our navy limited to our littoral waters, like what China is facing. And most of our trade can be with Europe, US, middle east, SE Asia etc, especially if we transition to a high value chain economy, which chinese cannot do anything about. There is no way our growth can ever become "subservient" to china.

Dont worry.
Chinese have a bigger coastline and is a far bigger country more rich in resources, they still face trade route bottle necks weather be it Pacific or towards Europe.

This is what Chinese seems to be doing, we can always do trade with whichever country we want, but It will be on the route the Chinese want. And in any military conflict situation Chinese will have their arsenal at our door steps.

Adioz

but instead of being flexible and taking India into confidence, they went to Vatican and India had to pull out the hand.
This is new info to me. Can you please point me towards a source so I can read up on this issue? The first I heard of this was in post number #31

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Chinese have a bigger coastline and is a far bigger country more rich in resources, they still face trade route bottle necks weather be it Pacific or towards Europe.

This is what Chinese seems to be doing, we can always do trade with whichever country we want, but It will be on the route the Chinese want. And in any military conflict situation Chinese will have their arsenal at our door steps.

I would feel sorry for the chinese sailors who will have to fight the Indian navy on the Indian ocean, that too along our coastline in range of our fighter jets.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles