Rafale versus Sukhoi 30--which is your favourite?

Poll: Battle of Favourites Sukhoi 30MKi or Rafale ?

• Total voters

ashdoc

Country flag
Now that it seems certain that Rafale is going to be inducted by IAF , it's time to discuss which is your favourite among the two---Rafale and Sukhoi 30 MKI .

To me it seems that the Rafale is more loaded with high tech than the Sukhoi . Possibly it will repeat the Mirage 2000 experience for our air force and become a pilots' favourite .

What's your opinion ??

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Both are of different categories

SU 30 MKI is mainly an air superiority platform.

Rafale is mainly a deep strike aircraft.

akshay m

this should tell you.

this IAF su 30mki pilot thinks his plane is better

[tweet]587061166783868928[/tweet]

sorcerer

Country flag
SU-30..
Its a beast we have known for some time. + its something that we build here.

Khagesh

If I cannot take a small sly weapon against my opponent, then for sure, I need a big multi-role long-seeing long-hitting yet nimble thing to the battle.

As the americans say - never bring a knife to to a gun fight.
:D

Su 30 MKI

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Let me start by saying that both complement each other.

Scenario a strike mission over Pak or China. Su 30 will provide air cover while Rafale will strike.

But if there was a scenario where both are sent on a strike mission separately, which bird will you prefer to be in? That will decide which way the vote goes.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Unless SU 30 MKI is upgraded with AESA and a more powerful EW suite
it has a disadvantage because of its RCS

That is the main reason IAF wanted Rafale

The most crucial difference is SPECTRA

We need more Rafales than just 36

GUNS-N- ROSES

I don't indulge in fanboy stuff. each plane is built on certain specifications and for a certain role. comparisons if any have to be made on select constant criterias. the criteria for selection changes with requirement of each country.

as enthusiastic men wanting to know about strategic affairs we should refrain from comparisons and "VS" debate

Khagesh

This is the only way 2 Rafales can face off against an MKI.

Last edited by a moderator:

Khagesh

I don't indulge in fanboy stuff. each plane is built on certain specifications and for a certain role. comparisons if any have to be made on select constant criterias. the criteria for selection changes with requirement of each country.

as enthusiastic men wanting to know about strategic affairs we should refrain from comparisons and "VS" debate
Pardon my ignorance but why should this vs. debate be avoided. Is it because it is fashionable to not admit that it is simply too real or is it because it is fashionable.

What would you rather say to the ACM of PLAAF. I am bringing an MKI and you must now bring only the J-11. Otherwise it we will have the Red-flag think tank modelers call a foul - chinese romanchi kha rahe hain.

An unequal fight is the only real way to fight. If that is agreeable then why must we refrain from vs. debates.

jouni

I would say Rafale. I have Peugeot and it has been pretty reliable, so French engineering is quite good.

Sylex21

I'm going to go with Rafale for the novelty. We'd had the Su-30 a long time and understand fully what it is capable of. the Rafale is higher-tech and new for India, so it will be more fun and exciting to explore and test over the coming decades. I hope Indian scientists pull a little bit of of the Chinese style and study them carefully, adding anything useful they can to the LCA.

sgarg

The Su-30 is eminently suited for the Western border and India's EEZ. The only trouble is the Eastern border or threat coming from China.

The RCS of a typical Rafale config with fuel tanks and weapons will not be much lower than Su-30. So people who suggest Rafale is dramatically stealthy is incorrect. A lot of other things will get proven when the Rafale arrives and tactics is developed in the Indian conditions.

My view is that Su-30 fills more needs compared to Rafale. Rafale can have some specialized roles (like strikes against high value targets). The rest can be done by Su-30.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles